Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the switch that controls the interior boot light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is the switch that controls the interior boot light?

When I open the boot lid, the interior light does not go on. When I check the voltage of the light connections it reads 0v. No fuses are blown and all connections look good, so I assume that the switch triggered by the boot lid is is either faulty or stuck in the closed position. Can someone direct me where to find it?

Thanks in adavance.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
When I open the boot lid, the interior light does not go on. When I check the voltage of the light connections it reads 0v. No fuses are blown and all connections look good, so I assume that the switch triggered by the boot lid is is either faulty or stuck in the closed position. Can someone direct me where to find it?

Thanks in adavance.
I disconnected my boot light at the bulb holder because I keep the hood ajar in my garage for easy access when removing/stowing my cover. At the time, I decided that the actual switch must be integrated with the hood latch assembly.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Like the engine compartment light, the trunk light comes on when the respective hatch is popped. If you leave that lid up for several hours it shuts itself off after about 2-1/2 hrs to save the battery. As Mike suggests, it's a better idea to disconnect the light in the front trunk at the bulb holder if you want to save on excessive drain (for those 2-3 hrs). Once that time is elapsed, you can reconnect the bulb and it will stay out once the timing circuit has hit the max time point. Once you close and reopen the trunk again the clock starts all over.

If the trunk light does not go on when you open the trunk then check your circuit. I believe the trunk logic switch is near the latch, on the driver's side, beneath the plastic closure plate.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

The voltage is 0v all the time, regardless of how long the boot lid has been opened for. I will remove the plastic piece by the latch and have a look.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Like the engine compartment light, the trunk light comes on when the respective hatch is popped. If you leave that lid up for several hours it shuts itself off after about 2-1/2 hrs to save the battery. As Mike suggests, it's a better idea to disconnect the light in the front trunk at the bulb holder if you want to save on excessive drain (for those 2-3 hrs). Once that time is elapsed, you can reconnect the bulb and it will stay out once the timing circuit has hit the max time point. Once you close and reopen the trunk again the clock starts all over.

If the trunk light does not go on when you open the trunk then check your circuit. I believe the trunk logic switch is near the latch, on the driver's side, beneath the plastic closure plate.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the light is controlled by a checkmark in the porsche computer at your dealer. if it's not programmed to come on, it won't. How do I know? Same thing happened to me, the light wouldn't come on. The tech told me he had to activate it and sure enough, it's worked ever since.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW,

I open my rear deck to let the engine cool. Problem is the light stays on.

I shove this cotter pin remover tool down into the mechanism to fake the latch out into thinking the deck is closed.

The light goes off.

Of course you must remember to open the "imaginary" deck lid by the seat-side release switch to "unlatch" it before you can actually re-close the real deck lid.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob/Ft. Worth
I believe the light is controlled by a checkmark in the porsche computer at your dealer. if it's not programmed to come on, it won't. How do I know? Same thing happened to me, the light wouldn't come on. The tech told me he had to activate it and sure enough, it's worked ever since.
You're kidding?!? Why would that be selectable? Oh well... who cares? I haven't had a chance yet to see if the latch switch is the issue, but if it tests OK, I guess I will bring it in to the dealer. Thanks for the tip- I never would have even thought that would be the cause. BTW, does anyone know if that is a PIWIS only thing, or if the Durametric Pro could code that?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

might pose this question over on the renntech 997 forum too, the moderator is a p-car shop foreman.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showforum=53
good luck
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Although at first blush that sounds ridiculous (that you would have to make sure the service guy has that feature turned on) but these cars are designed to be much more software controlled than ever before. They design the hardware for all nations and then the software can control what is displayed, what lights up, and so on. It's a good thing for all 997 owners to be aware of and perhaps even have a copy of all the codes that your car was delivered with by the factory. Sometimes through a Bill Gates-moment, the code can be dropped and then that feature mysteriously goes away. Ditto for when you have a PCM replaced. SUPPOSEDLY the PCM swaps are not going to affect the codes--the codes are supposed to carry over to the new PCM, but I know first hand that they do not. The codes (as I vaguely recall) are a 13 digit alphanumeric that must be keyed into the PCM to activate the stuff that is controlled by it. For example, I have what's known as the Extended Navigation package on my car. All cars have it in their circuits, but only with the right code turned on will the features of Extended Navigation actually function. Ditto for things like Sports Chrono, and so on.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Its like a refrigerator light in sabbath mode.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Its like a refrigerator light in sabbath mode.
You mean there is a Shabbat mode in the computer that has to be unchecked?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

As a follow up to close out this issue for me. It was a computer issue (as noted herein), apparently caused by the battery going dead at one point and the controller somehow getting set to not telling the light to go on. Dealer fixed it by his magic PIWIS.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by
"MUSSBERGER": "Its like a refrigerator light in sabbath mode.
"SCHWARTZWEST: You mean there is a Shabbat mode in the computer that has to be unchecked?

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

LIBr- ah yes, the old cotter-key puller in the latch ploy... very nice trick.

Quick Reply: Where is the switch that controls the interior boot light?