Sponsored by:

997.2S on California Porsche roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts
Default 997.2S on California Porsche roads

I took a 700 mile trip from the SF Bay Area to Mendocino and the giant redwoods at Avenue of the Giants along the Eel river and Hy101 near Garberville.

I picked Porsche roads along the Napa Valley (Silverado trail and CA128) and the awesome mountain section of Hy1 from Fort Bragg to Legett. On the return leg I drove the famous Hwy 1 all the way south to Point Reyes. These are highly technical, twisty roads that spell Porsche all over.

The car ('10 Carrera S with PDK) excelled on these roads. The engine is smooth free-revving and very quick. The PDK matches the engine perfectly.

On these high-performance twisty roads the power delivery and low range torque of the 3.8DFI is fantastic. On spirited technical drives I drive in D with SC in Sport PASM Normal (these are good roads, but not silky smooth). The PDK in Sport shifting choices are excellent, allowing me to concentrate on steering both with the wheel and the throttle. The PDK auto downshifting is perfect, quickly downshifting from 4th to 2nd on braking to a turn and holding the gear in the turn. On occasion I override the gear choice (easily on the steering wheel buttons - see note below).

A few photos:

Re ergonomics - I reiterate that for these roads the std dual (redundant) PDK buttons on the steering wheel are excellent. A paddle wheel would not perform as well, on the wheel angles I saw. To those who say, downshifts must happen before the turn... well, PDK is a game changer and allows, and delivers, apex gear changes for maximum advantage. That is super-easy to do with the std wheel (no confusion at all) and nearly impossible and confusing with L/R paddles.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
REBor8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did nearly the same drive last September. Awesome! Some of the pictures you posted look like the same photo opportunities I opted for. Traveling west from Leggett to the coast is the best if you don't get held up by motor yachts.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

you guys are lucky to have those kind of roads out there. I would think there is lots of law enforcement around?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

why only one LEd in last pic, do u have DRL's off and uses it as turn signal or something?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

This is still early in the tourist season and traffic was not too bad.

The left LED bar is on because I turned side park-lights on (for safety) where I was stopped.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive from SF up to Bolinas or down to HMB nearly every weekend.
Have you tried the stretch of 84 from HMB up to skyline? If you love hillclimbs that start out sweeping and fast and then tighten up, I highly recommend it! You can also have a nice breakfast at Alice's and blast back on Skyline through the trees.

An added bonus is that the bikers at the store at the bottom of the hill will let you know about cops.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I drive from SF up to Bolinas or down to HMB nearly every weekend.
Have you tried the stretch of 84 from HMB up to skyline? If you love hillclimbs that start out sweeping and fast and then tighten up, I highly recommend it! You can also have a nice breakfast at Alice's and blast back on Skyline through the trees.

An added bonus is that the bikers at the store at the bottom of the hill will let you know about cops.
I suggest we do not discuss our roads on public forums. We do not want to attract moire drivers.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Tony--always nice to see the terrific roads in Northern California posted. Remind everyone that they are extremely crowded, with pot holes every ten yards and heavily enforced with money-hungary CHP personnel.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What a drive! Tony, I just saw "Marijuana, Inc." on Nat Geo or History channel. Mendocino is the marijuana capitol of the US...its whole economy is based on the growth and sale of it. Did you see evidence of that in your travels?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jastx
What a drive! Tony, I just saw "Marijuana, Inc." on Nat Geo or History channel. Mendocino is the marijuana capitol of the US...its whole economy is based on the growth and sale of it. Did you see evidence of that in your travels?
Not a user, I went there for the roads. My wife tells me that she saw a store in Mendocino advertising Medical Marijuana... I noticed some people looking a bit strange - perhaps that's it.

The road surface Hwy 1 around Mendocino is very rough with a very coarse asphalt top. Very noisy and I'm sure rough on soft rubber.

Last edited by ADias; 05-14-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: new info
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice Tony... post more photos! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
A fair amount of the growing is done indoors. Heard on NPR that the average utility bill in Arcata is over five times the average of other similar (climatological areas). One facility had a 5K+ monthly bill from PG&E!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Very nice Tony... post more photos! Thanks for sharing.
Here are more scenery photos...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Post card pics! Real nice drive, make sure you get the bug guts off the front bumper and radiators..

Quick Reply: 997.2S on California Porsche roads