Sponsored by:

I've got a huge crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
To beat your good point to death . I'm sure the engineers see the installed windshield as being very strong relative to how the car flexes in fact adding significantly to the car's overall strength and stiffness, but "brittle" (or whichever term they use) when a skull slams into it. Something like that. Just a guess FWIW.
Basicallly you are right. Windshields do add to the rigidity of a car but this is only in the plane of the glass, itself. In other words, compressing edge to edge. But in the direction of bending the plane, forget it.....POP!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Yesterday while adjusting the rear view mirror, I heard a pop, then was horrified to see this.
I must have had an existing road hazard crack or there was a manufacturing defect in the windshield. The crack originated at the rain senor, so I wonder if the glass is different in that area, or maybe there was an air pocket in the glass that was stressed and finally gave way.
Anyway, I won't be enjoying my Porsche until a new windshield arrives special order.
Wow - scary. Did you have a radar detector attached there too - I see an RJ jack hanging down?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Passport 9500ix. Now I'm afraid to even touch the windshield, adjust the mirror, re-attach the radar detector and Fast Lane transponder. Also, I need to let the Inspection Sticker guy know to be gentle.
There is no excuse, a windshield should be stronger regardless of needing to allow bipedal projectiles through it. I wish the windshield installer the best of luck when re-attaching the rearview mirror. I'm sure most here who have had a broken windshield on their 997 can attest to it being their first broken windshield.

Last edited by todd.; 05-09-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Yesterday while adjusting the rear view mirror, I heard a pop, then was horrified to see this.
I must have had an existing road hazard crack or there was a manufacturing defect in the windshield. The crack originated at the rain senor, so I wonder if the glass is different in that area, or maybe there was an air pocket in the glass that was stressed and finally gave way.
Anyway, I won't be enjoying my Porsche until a new windshield arrives special order.
Looks like a foul ball off big papi's bat, cause you know he's not keeping a shot like that in play! haha
Honestly that's a bad hit, do you have a deductible on your insurance?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
do you have a deductible on your insurance?
No, it will be taken care of.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State Farm payed for several windshields on other cars without a deductible. The repair people who they recommeded and came out to my house sucked big time. One of them put a gouge in a new SL500 A pillar and the other hit and scrapped the passenger side door on my Porsche with his toolbox. Didn't notice the last one until he left (wondered why his palms were so sweaty when he shook my hand). By then it too late to prove anything.

They may very well know what they are doing but they don't give a **** about your property.

Quick Reply: I've got a huge crack