Sponsored by:

I've got a huge crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 PM
nijoma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad to here this

Well not glad but I thought I was the only one, I hit the mirror on my cab. not very hard when removing the shift **** and cracked the windshield.. I was pissed
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch---that photo is painful!

Sorry to hear about this. Hope the fix is problem free and to your satisfaction. Please let us know the outcome.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, I'm afraid to adjust my rear view mirror!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gray911
lol. I love it when my wife lurches forward, grabs the mirror and yanks it toward her face to touch up lipstick. When she's done she shoves it back toward me! Seriously, I'm laughing. I can't explain it.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's unacceptable and possibly unsafe, a windshield should be far stronger. My entire windshield is very unstable in it's curent condition, I can easily flex it by pushing lightly just about anywhere. The whole thing feels like it could go at anytime. The windshield repair company told me not to worry, that my Porsche windshield is actually part of the cars structure, but I don't think it's going to hold up for any more driving. I feel lucky to have made it home.

Originally Posted by nijoma
Well not glad but I thought I was the only one, I hit the mirror on my cab. not very hard when removing the shift **** and cracked the windshield.. I was pissed
Originally Posted by OldGuy
That part of the windshield is really touchy. I was putting in new seats in my GT3 and just bumped
the mirror with the new seat and CRACK!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gray911
Old 05-08-2010, 04:38 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i broke my windshield last summer. i asked around for the best installer and my insurance said they paid about ~700. the OEM was about $1100 installed. working with the installer, he talked to them and they paid for the OEM glass. IIRC, he let it cure overnight which was very important.

in my opinion, i really wanted OEM (although in this case, yours didn't seem so great - sorry about that).
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM
nijoma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The price was not that bad

The windshield was around 400.00, but there is OEM trim that goes around the windshield which was 100.00. The total job was just under 500.00 with cash and it looks great. I wanted to put a short shifter in but I am now afraid to take the console apart for fear of hitting the windshield again !
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Windshield glass is not very strong. The side glass such as in the car doors is tempered glass that is much stronger and will break into many small pieces if damaged. The windshield must "give" in a collision such as when someone is not wearing a seat belt and their head hits the glass. If it did not give, that passenger would have a crushed skull or spine.

The windsheild is rally two piecs of glass with an adhesive layer bwteen to heep the glass from flying around when the glass is broken and the whole construction does not have the best manufacturing tollerances. We have all seen wavy windshields before. Basically, all windshields are weak and easily broken.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by brendorenn
he let it cure overnight which was very important.
Definitely. It's an overnight job.

BTW, speaking of mirrors? When you get the car back don't mess with the mirror if you can avoid it: it's glued on and my guess is the longer it cures the better.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Windshield glass is not very strong. The windshield must "give" in a collision such as when someone is not wearing a seat belt and their head hits the glass. If it did not give, that passenger would have a crushed skull or spine.
Good point
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brendorenn
IIRC, he let it cure overnight which was very important.
That's good info, I will insist on this.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmmmm.... Ferris Bueller....They can come to your home to do it and you can watch. I had them send "their best guy". He did a first class job in my garage on our MB and the car sat overnight....... in my garage. It is not rocket science.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Windshield glass is not very strong.
To beat your good point to death . I'm sure the engineers see the installed windshield as being very strong relative to how the car flexes in fact adding significantly to the car's overall strength and stiffness, but "brittle" (or whichever term they use) when a skull slams into it. Something like that. Just a guess FWIW.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm.... Ferris Bueller....They can come to your home to do it and you can watch. I had them send "their best guy". He did a first class job in my garage on our MB and the car sat overnight....... in my garage. It is not rocket science.
i agree that it's not rocket science but there are technicians in a hurry, in the middle of divorces, etc everywhere. i like to know that i've got a windshield that will be in good shape (and the trim, etc) and will hold up at 140 mph.

of course you can get a bad shop but i've found that in a shop with multiple folks, one has a higher degree of supervision and peer review.

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: I've got a huge crack