Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Clifton, GT3 RSR's ect do not not have a standard 6 speed either.....seqeuntial shift....no clutch on up shifting.

It will be intersting to see what Porsche does with the GT1 engine and if they use the 9A1 engines that accepts PDK in the GT3.
Agreed, but wouldn't that box be sweet!!! Unfortunately the current manual sequential gearboxes are too cost prohibitive to be considered as an option. I think I've read that there are $20K options are out there, but who knows what race teams actually pay.

And if the price wasn't bad enough, those boxes only like to be treated badly, i.e., no-clutch full throttle up-shifts etc. Short shifting, like most of us do around town, would kill'em. In essence the current variants are underivable on the street, But we can dream, right?? *sigh*

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the GT1 block. It seems the current interpretation from Andreas Preuninger is that it will be around for the next generation. But I think the ACO Homologation rules will be the real limiting factor with trying to bolt the PDK in a GT3 and not just the bolt patten on the block (GT1 vs. 9A1). But who really knows apart from the people at Porsche.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Friend of my has a 2008 GT3 and he just put a Sequiential box in it. Not exactly the same thing the Cup cars use but a race box...it was around $20k...the Cup car box is north of $50k.

Personally speaking for me and my condition (left leg amputee due to trama) I hope the GT3 comes out with PDK. I really enjoy my C2S with PDK at the track and around town. However I am getting a little bored with DE's and want to take the step into racing. Can't afford to turn my current car into a race car but I'd like to find a way to race in a Spec Boxster or less expensive car and work on something like a hand operated clutch.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow - what a thread huh? I'm sure ADias thought it'd just be an informative thing...

As a former 997.1 manual and current 997.2 PDK owner, I have to say PDK is very good, but a manual is MUCH more entertaining. Discounting disabilities or long, traffic-jammed commutes, I can't see why I'd ever get a PDK over a manual in a sports car again.

As far as the original point of this thread goes, I think the widebody C2S would be a fun thing. If it were a daily driver, I'd prefer it over a GT3 at the same price. Personally, my Porsche is more of my "weekend/fun" car, so I am pretty sure my next one will be a GT3 (unless a Cayman RS appears). Either way, it'll be a manual transmission in it.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS