Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not believe I am taking part in this useless argument. However...

I chose 6 speed for '10 C4S only because I was bored to tears in my previous dd auto. When it comes to fun-to-drive factor (off track), PDK is less exciting than 6 speed, cant argue this point (ask anyone who ownes both). But if we start talking performance, PDK takes the podium, cant argue this either.

So, when ordering my car I had to decide:
Do I:
1. sacrifice fun-to-drive factor for a half second faster time around a track five times a year?
2. sacrifice faster lap times for a car I will enjoy far more as a dd?

No brainer here..

But thats just me...
Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
If flipping a toggle switch with one thumb, while wrapping the other around a starbucks is the idea of a sequential gearbox, I can understand and join in on the laughter.

I'm not sure why PDK owners are so sensitive on this topic. The twin mated gearbox PDK is an absolute marvel. They are fast, smooth, heavy and complicated. They don't belong in a GT3.
You can laugh all you want, but... tell me why the PDK is not a sequential?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I am not sensitive at all. I have had some of the best 911's on the planet. If you dont want to partake in PDK then dont. I just went out and did a ride with a modded 996 TT (supposedly 500hp) and we did a rolling start on a closed course in Malaysia and the stock PDK was faster till about 110. Then both lifted.
How many 6 speed Ferraris are there now?
The PDK doesnt belong in a GT3? Did it belong in a LeMans winning Porsche 956 in 1983? Seems to me
the 956 and the GT3 have alot in common. What a hokey arguement. The PDK STARTED in a race car.
Your'e right tho a GT3 is not a race car.
You and I have/had both and we welcome choice. The problem is some stick guys can never admit how good a PDK is. Their loss.

Notice it's always the odd stick guy deriding PDK, never a PDK guy deriding a manual. Quite telling, psychologically.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

The PDK doesnt belong in a GT3? Did it belong in a LeMans winning Porsche 956 in 1983? Seems to me
the 956 and the GT3 have alot in common. What a hokey arguement. The PDK STARTED in a race car.
Your'e right tho a GT3 is not a race car.

Much like shifting, your facts need a little assistance. The 1983 956 LeMans winner was NOT PDK equipped. Chassis #003 was a good ole 5 speed manual. Additionally, no 956 or 962 with PDK every won LeMans, period. Hokey argument, indeed....

For the record, Porsche did equip a few 956/962s with PDK, however, they never really saw much racing sauces. Yes they did finally win a few races (Monza in 86 IIRC), but Porsche abandoned the further use of the technology in their race cars (wonder why??). Today's PDK owners certainly benefit from their trials and tribulations, but their is a reason so many Porsche race cars are PDK'less.

As I said before, the PDK is cool and has its place, but not in the GT3. But hey, perhaps Porsche will build a convertible GT3 with PDK one day and then everyone can be happy.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

Notice it's always the odd stick guy deriding PDK, never a PDK guy deriding a manual. Quite telling, psychologically.
Interesting observation and accurate.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Clifton
Pro

You and I have/had both and we welcome choice. The problem is some stick guys can never admit how good a PDK is. Their loss.
I think I clearly stated PDK is a marvel and for the record, PKD is incredible, I'd like one in my sedan. Much like cupholders the PDK does not belong in a GT3.

You can laugh all you want, but... tell me why the PDK is not a sequential?
When you flip the toggle switch with your thumb, does the computer select the next gear or is the gearbox mechanically restricted to select the next gear up/down???
Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

...When you flip the toggle switch with your thumb, does the computer select the next gear or is the gearbox mechanically restricted to select the next gear up/down???
You can shift PDK sequentially using the gear-leaver exactly as std sequential. What's the difference?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Clifton said:
As I said before, the PDK is cool and has its place, but not in the GT3
It seems as though Porsche is smarter than you, its coming. It only makes sense.

Clifton said:
When you flip the toggle switch with your thumb, does the computer select the next gear or is the gearbox mechanically restricted to select the next gear up/down???
So you havent driven one. That says alot.
Just for the record how many GT3's have you owned?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Clifton said:
The 1983 956 LeMans winner was NOT PDK equipped. Chassis #003 was a good ole 5 speed manual. Additionally, no 956 or 962 with PDK every won LeMans, period. Hokey argument, indeed....
Here is an article from the Telegraph in the UK stating that the 956 in 1983 won LeMans
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ging-gear.html
Here is the quote:
Although similar technology has appeared elsewhere, notably in Audi's excellent DSG system, Porsche engineers are at pains to point out that they invented the double-clutch system 25 years ago and used it to win the 1983 Le Mans 24 Hours in a 956.
Like I said your'e argument is hokey. My facts dont usually need help
Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Clifton
Pro

You can shift PDK sequentially using the gear-leaver exactly as std sequential. What's the difference?
PDKs do shift sequentially (albeit via a computer), but I shift my manual car sequentially too; that does not make either a sequential transmission.

You and I can go off-line to talk about this, but mechanically speaking a PDK and a sequential gearbox are not the same. For all basic purposes, PDK is a computer controlled manual gearbox that is programed to make shifts sequentially.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Clifton
Pro

Although similar technology has appeared elsewhere, notably in Audi's excellent DSG system, Porsche engineers are at pains to point out that they invented the double-clutch system 25 years ago and used it to win the 1983 Le Mans 24 Hours in a 956.

Like I said your'e argument is hokey. My facts dont usually need help
Your source is incorrect. Don't beleive all that you read on the internets. PDK was actually invented by the engineer Adolphe Kégresse before WWII. He never got it to work, but Porsche did.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellence was Expected contains significant detail on PDK development, starting from page 917 (ironic really)....

"The other major focus of the Porsche works program in 1986 was the exploitation in racing of a new kind of transmission, the PDK. "

"Imre Szodfridt, a Hungarian, first brought his transmission idea to Porsche at the end of the 1960s, when it was embraced by Ferdinand Piech... Problems with shift smoothness caused it to be sidelined at the time."

"The PDK feature that appealed to the racers was that shifts could be made under full throttle. Another benefit was the ability to keep both hands on the wheel if steering-wheel shift controls were adopted. There were downsides to the PDK as well. One was that the gear selection had to progress sequentially ; gears were not usually skipped." (Although this seems to have been largely a programming choice)

"If the PDK's reliability was still suspect, the decision to use it could be seen as sensible in the light of the increasing number of races that were run in shorter distances in 1986. One of these was Monza in April, 1986, where the race distance was 365 instead of 1000 kilometers. This resulted in outright victory for the "BEST" pairing with a 2.6 liter six powering the 962C - the first race victory for a PDK-equipped car. The Monza winner was second at Silverstone in May over a full 1,000 kilometers behind a Jaguar"
Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I can not believe I am taking part in this useless argument. However...

I chose 6 speed for '10 C4S only because I was bored to tears in my previous dd auto. When it comes to fun-to-drive factor (off track), PDK is less exciting than 6 speed, cant argue this point (ask anyone who ownes both). But if we start talking performance, PDK takes the podium, cant argue this either.

So, when ordering my car I had to decide:
Do I:
1. sacrifice fun-to-drive factor for a half second faster time around a track five times a year?
2. sacrifice faster lap times for a car I will enjoy far more as a dd?

No brainer here..

But thats just me...
+1--I couldn't agree more. Well said!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I think I clearly stated PDK is a marvel and for the record, PKD is incredible, I'd like one in my sedan. Much like cupholders the PDK does not belong in a GT3.

Thats funny - so you've decided what does or doent "belong" in a certain car. Thank goodness you don't get to decide.

You didn't answer the question on whether you've actually owned one or more GT3's.

The Gt3 is a street car that should be taken to the track. In my humble opinion, they should offer it in both 6 speed and PDK. Unlike Ferrari. People who want to row and believe its "sacrilege" to have PDK and are not interested in wringing the absolute best lap time, can buy it. Others will have the choice to buy a PDK equipped car with a state of the art gear box.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the important thing to remember here is that what you think, feel, hold to be true, care about, believe, or anything is else is completely and utterly irrelevant; Porsche will do what they want when they want despite what "should" and "shouldn't" be. Get over it and move on. Sitting here arguing about what a car "should" have or anything else is like arguing whether the day should be longer or not - in the end, all the arguing in the world isn't going to change the other persons opinion, and it sure as hell isn't going to change reality.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS