Sponsored by:

The Duramertic tool - buy one? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default The Duramertic tool - buy one? yes or no

The RL search function provides a myriad of opinions.

2009 997

My only desired use for this tool (enthusiast model) is to:

- reset service codes (oil changed, scheduled maintenance, etc)

It cost $287, but if it saves me recurrent trips to the dealer for these issues, then it is worth it to me.

1 trip to the dealer = 2 hours of driving time rountrip + time tied up waiting.

--------------------------------

Waiting to hear the pros and cons.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got one, and I really like it.
Do I need it? no
Was it worth the money to me? yes
Would I buy it again? yes
Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm considering it as i do my own oil changes and dont want to go to the dealer to have them reset the light every time. They probably dont appreciate the fact they they know they are losing business every time they do that. Strictly speaking they dont have to do that for you. And if they are going to do it for a fee, of say 50-60 bucks, then you might as well get the durametric tool

Last edited by sharmat; 04-30-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Gadgetman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the Durametric tool primarily to reset the maintenance reminder. I also do my own oil changes.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I am a Republican, so I cant even buy Dermatic tool until after the primaries.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one and have used it many times. Always for silly thongs like reseting lights and changing some coding. I dropped the big bucks on the pro version expecting to use it shopping for cars and checking DMEs.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on the verge of buyiing one myself. Problem is the "service now" light doesn't really brother me too much.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

My problem with Durametric is that the useful options are only available in Pro version so it's totally not cost effective for individuals and the enthusiast version only gives u over-rev range, service reminder reset and clear code!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
My problem with Durametric is that the useful options are only available in Pro version so it's totally not cost effective for individuals and the enthusiast version only gives u over-rev range, service reminder reset and clear code!
I don't own it but I think that you assertions are incorrect. As I understand it, the functionality is identical between the 2 versions, the difference is that the standard version works on up to 3 cars (based on VIN) and that the pro version is unlimited.
JM
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I don't own it but I think that you assertions are incorrect. As I understand it, the functionality is identical between the 2 versions, the difference is that the standard version works on up to 3 cars (based on VIN) and that the pro version is unlimited.
JM
I thought the same but if u read the fine print only the pro varsion has what they call "coding" feature. This is what gives u ability to turn off tpms warning or disable seat airbag warning etc... I confirmed with them when I wanted to buy one and hence didn't buy any as enthusiast is pretty much useless.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

I am interested in knowing more specifics about what the pro cable cable can do beyond what is listed on the website (not that complete from what I understand, or clear IMO). I have e-mailed Durametric but have heard no reply, and have also posted with no response. If anybody knows any more info please share it here.

If anyone in the Vancouver area is interested in sharing in the cost of one I am sure it would address all those "I can't see the value in the professional version" comments...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

^ Please let us know if they respond.

At the track yesterday, someone told me that the newest version will "cycle" the ABS during Brake fluid bleeds. Don't know if that is true or not. If that is a new function, then it is a 'must have' IMO.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I thought the same but if u read the fine print only the pro varsion has what they call "coding" feature. This is what gives u ability to turn off tpms warning or disable seat airbag warning etc... I confirmed with them when I wanted to buy one and hence didn't buy any as enthusiast is pretty much useless.
I just checked again - I have a Boxster Spyder coming this week and do my own work - and I can't find the "fine" print... What I'm seeing is the limit for 3 cars but nothing else. Can you please copy and paste the text that shows that it's no good in the enthusiast version? TIA - if you're correct, I will absolutely NOT buy... if not, I will buy it

Here's what I was looking at:
Enthusiast Package
These packages are designed for the Porsche enthusiast that works on their own car. It offers all* of the great features of our professional kit, but will only work on up to 3 cars (managed by VIN).
Select option 1 or 2:

* Beginning with Durametric version 6, differences between the Enthusiast and Professional kits include:
Number of supported cars (Enthusiast kit limited to 3 cars based on VIN, no limit on Pro kit)
Control unit Coding feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Control unit Command Console feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Talk to your service guy about zeroing out the 'service now' alerts. I haven't gotten one of those in several years. They can simply turn off that function.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I just checked again - I have a Boxster Spyder coming this week and do my own work - and I can't find the "fine" print...

[...]

Control unit Coding feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Control unit Command Console feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Wait, you can't find the fine print?

Search the net, this is discussed at length on 6speed. You cannot do coding with Enthusiast. They posted quotes from Durametric about why - basically they don't want to deal with all the customer service calls that coding generates.

Quick Reply: The Duramertic tool - buy one? yes or no