The Duramertic tool - buy one? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010 | 07:49 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Wait, you can't find the fine print?

Search the net, this is discussed at length on 6speed. You cannot do coding with Enthusiast. They posted quotes from Durametric about why - basically they don't want to deal with all the customer service calls that coding generates.
I guess that my questions is... what is coding?
Old 05-02-2010 | 07:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I just checked again - I have a Boxster Spyder coming this week and do my own work - and I can't find the "fine" print... What I'm seeing is the limit for 3 cars but nothing else. Can you please copy and paste the text that shows that it's no good in the enthusiast version? TIA - if you're correct, I will absolutely NOT buy... if not, I will buy it

Here's what I was looking at:
Enthusiast Package
These packages are designed for the Porsche enthusiast that works on their own car. It offers all* of the great features of our professional kit, but will only work on up to 3 cars (managed by VIN).
Select option 1 or 2:

* Beginning with Durametric version 6, differences between the Enthusiast and Professional kits include:
Number of supported cars (Enthusiast kit limited to 3 cars based on VIN, no limit on Pro kit)
Control unit Coding feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Control unit Command Console feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Got it right there.. Coding feature and Command Consol feature! looks like not a big deal, but *coding* means changing all sorts of settings in the car, which could be very useful for "enthusiasts"!
Old 05-03-2010 | 05:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its the coding that is the key feature some want that is not available on the enthusiast version.

This apparently allows setting more features (turning modules off and on).

I'd like to see a comprehensive list of what those coding operations are. Disabling airbags, cycling ABS for brake bleeds, that sort of stuff, not much use to me. However, if there are several configuration options for the car that are only adjustable by the pro coding, THEN I see some value.
Old 05-03-2010 | 09:34 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case you were looking for the link to the 6speed discussion

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...xperience.html

Post 17 & 18 outline the changes
Old 05-03-2010 | 09:39 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also found the link to the information on their website.

Go to download software section -> very bottom of the page it says version 6 beta. Click the Model Feature Matrix for Durametric Version 6.

It's laid out properly there.

http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx
Old 05-03-2010 | 10:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Durametric Enthusiast is basically useless, is it crippledware! Unless you're going with Pro which is a lot more money. They really have to look at their model range, they must make coding available in Enthusiast version!!
Old 05-03-2010 | 11:10 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
Durametric Enthusiast is basically useless, is it crippledware! Unless you're going with Pro which is a lot more money. They really have to look at their model range, they must make coding available in Enthusiast version!!
I totally agree. I would buy the enthusiast version today for my 1 911 if it had coding. I don't need the unlimited VIN route at this point.
Old 05-04-2010 | 12:57 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Wait, you can't find the fine print?

Search the net, this is discussed at length on 6speed. You cannot do coding with Enthusiast. They posted quotes from Durametric about why - basically they don't want to deal with all the customer service calls that coding generates.
i contacted them and you are 100pc right.... too bad... won't be buying it. thanks for saving me the error
Old 05-04-2010 | 05:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
i contacted them and you are 100pc right.... too bad... won't be buying it. thanks for saving me the error
So now they need to deal with all of the calls about why coding isn't available on the enthusiast version and how lame their pricing structure is.

They still get flooded with questions, but now form folks who have NOT purchased thier tool. I'm guessing thats better for them somehow.
Old 05-04-2010 | 05:58 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gleek48
I totally agree. I would buy the enthusiast version today for my 1 911 if it had coding. I don't need the unlimited VIN route at this point.
Yep. Hopefully someone from Durametric is reading all these threads. I would buy one too if coding was available. It's bizarre to me how they've just nerfed their own product.
Old 05-05-2010 | 05:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Yeah, it seems to be creating a market opportunity for someone.

The concept of even having a 2 tier tool to get two price points is odd. The thinking, I'm sure, is to prevent one person in a city from sharing their tool with everyone ... they decided to have the tool remember and only talk with 'so many' VINs. So everyone should buy their own, unless you owned a shop and needed to work on more cars.. and then you were a pro (making money on your working on cars) and could afford to pay a higher price. Ok, fine, that I can buy.

But to think that only a pro shop would want/need specific software features of the tool (ie coding) is totally ludicrous. If someone is even buying an OBD2 / software package to hook up to their cars, the would almost certainly want to use the coding features.

Its just nuts.

Quick Reply: The Duramertic tool - buy one? yes or no