Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 reliability - let's get better stats

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I signed up a while ago and like the service, but I don't like getting spammed constantly about it. If you could make it absolutely effortless to report "no problems this month", like just having a link in the email that does not require any login or data entry, just a single click, responses may be higher.
Yep, I agree.

And the web site is still just very messy and hard to get around.

And there's no need for the separate "Repair History" and "Reliability Survey" that are two totally different ways of reporting repairs. Very confusing and unnecessary.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
cbzzoom

Furthermore, I think the TrueDelta reporting has many of the same problems as other surveys.

The majority of visitors are just going to look at the "Trips / Year" summary and make conclusions from that.

But that's very misleading. There's no rating of the severity of those trips. A full engine failure counts exactly the same as a rattling rear view mirror.

So trivial things like the TSB for condensation in tail lights of the RX-8 make that model look really bad because it counts as a "visit" even though it costs $0.

Even Consumer Reports is better because at least it categorizes things into "engine major" etc.

Furthermore when you show comparison vehicles you unfairly compare new and old. For example when I try to look at the 2005 RX-8 you compare it to the 2010 Camaro and wow guess what the 2010 Camaro has many fewer trips per year.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I signed up a while ago and like the service, but I don't like getting spammed constantly about it. If you could make it absolutely effortless to report "no problems this month", like just having a link in the email that does not require any login or data entry, just a single click, responses may be higher.

I know data is better with odometer readings, but I'm not going to go digging for my login/password or run out to my car to check the odometer every month of trouble-free service. I only go through that sort of trouble when I'm pissed about something breaking.
1. It sounds like you've never actually responded. The email are much more frequent in this case, because reminders are sent to those who haven't responded. Only a single email is sent each month for those who have responded.

2. The link in the survey DOES automatically log you in.

3. A response is only needed once a quarter, not once a month, and the odometer can be esimated from your previous reading.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Yep, I agree.

And the web site is still just very messy and hard to get around.

And there's no need for the separate "Repair History" and "Reliability Survey" that are two totally different ways of reporting repairs. Very confusing and unnecessary.
We've been working hard on a redesigned site. If anyone wants to help test it and provide suggestions, let me know.

I fully agree on the two surveys. Still trying to figure out the best way to solve this one. It's not easy, as the surveys have different purposes and different questions.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Furthermore, I think the TrueDelta reporting has many of the same problems as other surveys.

The majority of visitors are just going to look at the "Trips / Year" summary and make conclusions from that.

But that's very misleading. There's no rating of the severity of those trips. A full engine failure counts exactly the same as a rattling rear view mirror.

So trivial things like the TSB for condensation in tail lights of the RX-8 make that model look really bad because it counts as a "visit" even though it costs $0.

Even Consumer Reports is better because at least it categorizes things into "engine major" etc.

Furthermore when you show comparison vehicles you unfairly compare new and old. For example when I try to look at the 2005 RX-8 you compare it to the 2010 Camaro and wow guess what the 2010 Camaro has many fewer trips per year.
I upgraded the severity question last October. Once we have a full year of data with the new question, I'm going to try to provide results weighted by severity. It's quite complicated in practice, though. I'm doing it on how fundamental the part was to the vehicle functioning. Cost would be nice, but the cost data aren't complete enough or of high enough quality.

We do at least provide the option of viewing all of the reported repairs--no one else does this. CR's dots for subsystems can be based on such low problem rates and are so prone to error that they provide far less usable information than they appear to.

I'm not comparing young and old in general. In the example you cite there were no Camaros for years before the 2010, and Mazda has sold few RX-8s since the 2006.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
jakes dad
Racer

I'd tell you my YUGO was and is a great car so I can fool people into buying this great car and I can get part of my $3700. purchase price back....
They are even more valuable now because they don't even make them anymore.... Did I mention that they were made in Europe? and I'll verify that in writing....
Old 08-21-2011, 06:22 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
1. It sounds like you've never actually responded. The email are much more frequent in this case, because reminders are sent to those who haven't responded. Only a single email is sent each month for those who have responded.

2. The link in the survey DOES automatically log you in.

3. A response is only needed once a quarter, not once a month, and the odometer can be esimated from your previous reading.
I've responded every time something broke, maybe 3 or 4 times since I signed up a few years ago, plus a handful of "all's OK". I just hadn't done so in a while because of the hassle/forms/surveys/etc I remembered going through last time I just tried to report "all's OK".
Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Sorry you found the survey a hassle the last time you responded. I truly am working to make the process as easy as possible, while still gathering quality data.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
mkaresh
Racer

We have updated reliability stats for the 997 based on owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 138, worse than average, small sample size, could be blip at end of factory warranty

2006: 46, better than average, small sample size

It is important to note that these cars are driven about half as many miles per year as the typical car.

Those of you who have been helping, thank you once again, I really do appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could cover all model years and provide more precise our reliability stats.

For the details, and to sign up to help provide this information:

Porsche 911 reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM
mkaresh
Racer

We have updated reliability stats for the 997 based on owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 70, about average, small sample size

2006: 46, better than average, small sample size

It is important to note that these cars are driven about half as many miles per year as the typical car.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in August. With more participants, we could cover all model years and provide more precise results.

For the details, and to sign up to help provide this information:

Porsche 911 reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

Enrolled.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reporting on my newly acquired Carrera S which just ticked over 61k miles. After taking it to my indy shop the following needed to be replaced.

We'll start with the bad
- Master Cylinder boot torn & worn
- Front control arms worn / bushings shot
- Rear suspension shot (left strut leaking & coupled with bouncing when in non sport mode)

Then the good, IMS replaced with upgrade LN Engineering bearing. No real signs of degredation or wear were found. See picture bellow. While they were in there I also had them replace the clutch and the RMS.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 AM
GregGH
Intermediate

Bump- I updated my garage - and noticed this page .... http://www.truedelta.com/Porsche-911...009#base_price
Handy for my search for the perfect 2009 ... like to see the 'increases' in MSRP
Old 09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Enrolled.
Curious to view the results even knowing its suspect (Mark Twain's quote on statistics comes to mind).
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Originally Posted by GregGH
Bump- I updated my garage - and noticed this page .... http://www.truedelta.com/Porsche-911...009#base_price
Handy for my search for the perfect 2009 ... like to see the 'increases' in MSRP
For many models it's possible configure as far back as 2006. But I don't think I entered the information for the 911 the first few years.

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Enrolled.
Curious to view the results even knowing its suspect (Mark Twain's quote on statistics comes to mind).
Given our methodology, it really does come down to sample sizes. We've got some decent ones for the Boxster, but not yet the 911. Your car will help, much appreciated.

I need to post the latest stats here--haven't been doing this anywhere in a while, been terribly busy with other things. I did just search for IMS failures--not a single one has been reported for any of the 250 or so cars enrolled since the beginning of 2011. The RMS is iffier.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 reliability - let's get better stats