997 Prices in Germany, how much can I negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:50 AM
andreas7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Prices in Germany, how much can I negotiate

Sorry for bad english!!

What could I expect as a final price for a nice 997 that a Porsche dealer is aksing 58000 euro for? I am going to import it to Norway and it is a VAT Qualifying Vehicle.

that is 19%? That will say around 47000. Is it possibel to get it for 44 000 euro then?

In Norway that would be possibel.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas7
Sorry for bad english!!

What could I expect as a final price for a nice 997 that a Porsche dealer is aksing 58000 euro for? I am going to import it to Norway and it is a VAT Qualifying Vehicle.

that is 19%? That will say around 47000. Is it possibel to get it for 44 000 euro then?

In Norway that would be possibel.
I can't be of much help but my 2nd hand info is that some countries and Norway is one levy a pretty huge import duty on cars. New ones to be sure but probably used ones as well.

So much so that Porsche has come up with a lower hp rated Cayman and Boxster which drops the HP down to a level that cuts the import duty by a huge sum of money.

Be sure, if you haven't already done so, know or have a pretty good idea of whatever car you buy that you know what the import duty is and what is based upon: price, hp, whatever.

In the USA if one buys car from an out of state dealer the taxes are not collected by the dealer that sold the car but are due and payable in the same the owner resides.

The same might be true in your case, where you do not have to pay any German sales tax (VAT or whatever) when you buy the car but of course this or its equivalent is due at whatever rate is in effect when you import the car.

There are car brokers that deal with UK car buyers who seek out and buy cars in Germany for import into the UK. I bet one of these could help you.

Get ahold of a copy of 911 & Porsche World, Total 911 or GT Porsche magazines (all published in UK but should be available in your area -- maybe at the airport's newstand or magazine display?) -- then look for ads by car brokers and give one a call and see if he can be of some help.

I envy you a Porsche in Norway. Every once in a while I read of some great drives by UK writers who take a Porsche (or a Ferrrari or some other car) and head out and north to the far end of Norway. Beautiful roads. Great scenery. And a good time is had by all. (Latest trip involved driving a Ferrari through the world's deepest tunnel from the mainland to an island just off the coast.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
andreas7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
I can't be of much help but my 2nd hand info is that some countries and Norway is one levy a pretty huge import duty on cars. New ones to be sure but probably used ones as well.

So much so that Porsche has come up with a lower hp rated Cayman and Boxster which drops the HP down to a level that cuts the import duty by a huge sum of money.

Be sure, if you haven't already done so, know or have a pretty good idea of whatever car you buy that you know what the import duty is and what is based upon: price, hp, whatever.

In the USA if one buys car from an out of state dealer the taxes are not collected by the dealer that sold the car but are due and payable in the same the owner resides.

The same might be true in your case, where you do not have to pay any German sales tax (VAT or whatever) when you buy the car but of course this or its equivalent is due at whatever rate is in effect when you import the car.

There are car brokers that deal with UK car buyers who seek out and buy cars in Germany for import into the UK. I bet one of these could help you.

Get ahold of a copy of 911 & Porsche World, Total 911 or GT Porsche magazines (all published in UK but should be available in your area -- maybe at the airport's newstand or magazine display?) -- then look for ads by car brokers and give one a call and see if he can be of some help.

I envy you a Porsche in Norway. Every once in a while I read of some great drives by UK writers who take a Porsche (or a Ferrrari or some other car) and head out and north to the far end of Norway. Beautiful roads. Great scenery. And a good time is had by all. (Latest trip involved driving a Ferrari through the world's deepest tunnel from the mainland to an island just off the coast.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

thx but I know "everything" about import. If the car i am looking on will be mine for the dealers asking price i have to pay 25% tax on the amount. Then I have to pay tax on the car. c02, hp,weight and first registration day. on a 2006 c2s manuel it is around 75 000 usd. Finished on the road the car will cost around 155 000 usd!

Are you still envious??You can get a lot of trackdays for that!! I understand what you mean and I enjoy my country a lot! The nature is very nice but the roads are crap!!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

thx but I know "everything" about import. If the car i am looking on will be mine for the dealers asking price i have to pay 25% tax on the amount. Then I have to pay tax on the car. c02, hp,weight and first registration day. on a 2006 c2s manuel it is around 75 000 usd. Finished on the road the car will cost around 155 000 usd!

Are you still envious??You can get a lot of trackdays for that!! I understand what you mean and I enjoy my country a lot! The nature is very nice but the roads are crap!!
WOW, that's crazy!

I studied in Denmark and they had crazy car taxes like this too. Basically most Scandanavian countries are like that! I wonder HOW in the world you guys produce great drivers?!?!

I guess only someone from Norway can help.

If you were asking that is it reasonable to get a 58K Euro car for 44K in German... I think it is possible, but again some German guy is best to answer that.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Ok. Sounds like you got the import duty thing down.

Envious only in the nice roads (you can keep the import duties!) -- at least they look nice in the mag pics -- and the scenery. Here in CA we have some nice roads but many areas of CA the ground cover turns a nice dry brown and stays that way for months, unless it turns black from a grass or brush or forest fire.

Oh, last Norway road trip article has the mag writer driving a KTM (a very track oriented car made by the company that makes KTM motorcycles) way north to some racetrack that if not inside the arctic circle darn close to it. The northern most automobile race track in the world.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Andreas,

I assume that the dealer´s margin is higher in Norway since sales volume are less. The above mentioned car would cost almost 49 thousand Euros without VAT so a rebate of four to five thousand should be the exception on rather unpopular configurations. The fact that you will export the car might help though.

Where in Germany did you find the car?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
andreas7
Advanced

the car was sold this morning so it want be this car! Of course I havent done the tax part right ! But if the cars asking price was 49000 euro it would be possibel to get of 1000-2000 euro?

@Macster: that is artic raceway. From what I have heard it is very good. Come over and have a look.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Ferdie
Advanced

That amount of rebate sounds possible depending on model, options and dealership. From my memory, most Porsche dealers do not include the extended warranty which costs around 1000 Euros separately. If this warranty also applies in Norway, which you´d have to check, it would certainly be one item I´d suggest to include during negotiations. Same with a set of winter tires etc.

Which area / dealership are you inclined to buy from? Depending on the region we could give you some recommendations.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 AM
andreas7
Advanced

thanks. I am only buying a car with warrenty that can be used in Norway.

Im an interessed in buying a car in Sweden and Germany. Just take a plane down and drive it back home. (a littel dream I have)

I work as a salesman at BMW, this time I want to be the coustumer...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

the car was sold this morning so it want be this car! Of course I havent done the tax part right ! But if the cars asking price was 49000 euro it would be possibel to get of 1000-2000 euro?

@Macster: that is artic raceway. From what I have heard it is very good. Come over and have a look.
Since you're a salesman, you should know it's definitely possible to negotiate down 1-2K Euros in a 49K Euro car!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
andreas7
Advanced

it depends where you are. In Norway you "allways" can negotiate it down 1-5%. The BMWs we buy in Germany we often dont get more than 100-500 euro off. But a Porsche is more expensive.

Quick Reply: 997 Prices in Germany, how much can I negotiate