Sponsored by:

"On Vessel" or How to Track My New Car at Sea

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:04 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "On Vessel" or How to Track My New Car at Sea

I was told today by my dealer that my new car's status has been changed to "on vessel." This apparently means that my car is on its way to Baltimore. I do not have the name of the ship but I have sent an email to Bumperplugs asking them to update their "Porsche Shipping Schedule" page. (I am not yet a customer of theirs but I am certainly favorably disposed to them for this kindness.)

Once I know the name of the vessel, I recall that there is a way to track its progress across the Atlantic. Can someone tell me what to do or where to look? I have made a note that when the vessel gets close to the shore it can be tracked at a site called www.marinetraffic.com. (That, of course, assumes that I can get the ship's name which is not certain. If there is an alternate way to learn it, what is it?)

And then, when the vessel reaches Baltimore, what is the time frame for its being worked on and then sent to my dealer?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

If you're **** excessive:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...spx?level0=100
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Okay, I guess that I am **** excessive. Or at least I followed the link. But I don't know the name of the ship, the port it left or when it left it. Oh well.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Your dealer can tell you very easily. Probably left Bremerhaven.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent as these cars are IMHO they can't be tracked on the ocean
Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Actually the boats can be tracked quite clearly.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

What you won't see online is whether in fact your car made that particular ship or booking. Porsche will have a booking number and subsequently will know for sure where its at. If they had the name of the vessel and provided it to you the car could be on there or not.

Once a vessel hits port it will take a day or two to unload it, clear customs, then whatever Porsche does with it. Expect delay's from the shipper, customs, and Porsche themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is don't count on it being released ASAP. I've shipped 3 vehicles overseas since 2008 and been there done that and each time delays were incurred.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Best of luck with the car staying on a good delivery schedule. I recall a few years ago when I was waiting and waiting, and knew that the ship had already come and gone--but still no car! It appeared that Porsche wanted to run an audit on all vehicles and they wouldn't release any cars until it was completed. I found the number for the stevedores (Pasha, in San Diego) and called them. Spoke to someone know was apparently 'in the know.' And his reply--"The blue car, right? It's alright. We have it right here." I thought that was funny, considering that they had a boat load of Porsches in the lot.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
jurbina
Advanced

Well, it's about time a P-ship left Germany! My new C4S has been sitting on the dock waiting for 2 weeks, I'm told...I can only hope it's on the same boat!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by jurbina
Well, it's about time a P-ship left Germany! My new C4S has been sitting on the dock waiting for 2 weeks, I'm told...I can only hope it's on the same boat!
Is your car also headed for the East Coast?

What has your dealer told you about your car's status? Have you been told that it is "on vessel" and, if so, when did (s)he tell you? I got the news on April 16 immediately after the status was changed. I have not been able to get any information on the name of the ship or when it is due in at Baltimore.

While we wait, please share a bit about your car. Mine is also a C4S. It's a coupe in Meteor Gray with a cocoa interior. Sport seats, PDK and Sports Chrono Plus.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The good news is, I found the ship

the bad news is well, see for yourself

Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
The good news is, I found the ship

the bad news is well, see for yourself

Awesome...

Actually, a friend of mine had an M3 that was on one of the ships that got lost at sea a few years back. Finally his car gets here and its crushed as its being off loaded, by the time he got his car it was a 7mos. ordeal.

As to the OP, you are lucky you are in NY. If you are on the West Coast then we have to deal with the ship going through the Panama Canal. I live on the W. Coast but bought my car from Like my Stoppie (are we banned from mentioning him, like Lord Valdemort ) and had the car shipped.

I know the feeling of anticipation that I think all of us here who ordered cars went through. It will make that day that much sweeter...

Dave
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Mine is in the body shop...due for completion on April 22nd... oh I can't wait!!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

mine came over on the rio grande, it took about a month from leaving port in germany to being in my driveway...i wanted to take amtrak down from nyc penn station and pick it up in balitmore but porsche said that wasnt allowed
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

I keep checking Bumperplugs.com and it doesn't change. The newest listing docked a week ago.

So frustrating. Of course, knowing the details (ship, dates etc.) would make no difference to when I get the car but ....

Quick Reply: "On Vessel" or How to Track My New Car at Sea