Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from new C2S owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010 | 09:01 AM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Jakes Dad--
Funny you mentioned the floormats...I got them to change out the tan ones and put in (oem) black ones. The black ones are great!!! I guess that was my "perk"...yours was the oil change.

The sand beige interior is beautiful. It's interesting that the color is not anywhere as light as BMW's sand beige. The porsche sand beige is very close to BMW's natural brown, and porsche's natural brown leather is slightly darker and deeper

Last edited by hockeyguy; 04-13-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2010 | 08:14 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Congrats! I do like the green as well. Enjoy your new car! and, of course, we want pics !!!
Old 04-14-2010 | 02:34 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
22% off MSRP
There's a number of similar launch cars in this color, so pics are easy to find, but I'll take some.
We are people here who will absorb any information better if supported by visual material.
TTIWWP
Old 04-14-2010 | 08:27 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

My car had also sat for 9 months and I negotiated a battery change when I got it!
Old 04-14-2010 | 10:46 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
There is no such thing as break in oil in these cars today. The car is filled at the factory with Mobil 1 0w40. The car basicially sat for a year...change the oil.
This is an old arguement and regardless of what is said, I prefer to be on the cautious side. However, that is a mute point right now, because you need to change that oil right away cause it's old. You will see soon enough the red wrench come on your display, telling you you need the annual service. You don't need the annual, just an oil change. Then when you hit the 2k mark and the "break-in" period is over, you make the decision. IMO, i would then change it again.

Where's the pics!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2010 | 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Well, I did it, traded in my Cayman for a C2S. It's dynamite!
I test drove a C2 first, then a C4S, and then finally my C2S -- Bingo!-- that was the one!
I bought a left-over new 2009 launch car with only 40 miles on the speedometer.
2009 C2S pdk, porsche racing green/sand interior. I have 300 miles on it now.

Btw, I love the green (even though it's unpopular)...maybe my second favorite color-- after white-- and the car was at a great price and was optioned almost exactly as I would have wanted if I'd ordered it, almost uncanny --pdk, sprts chrono, bose, bluetooth, xm, electric standard seats, auto dimming (except no NAV or xenon, and I wouldn't have ordered them either)

My questions are related to this car having sat at the dealer for a year and a half.
It has the original battery. They installed and used a battery maintainer, and it seems fine--recharges pretty quickly on my CTEK too.
They also did the pdk computer updates.
Should I get a very early oil change, say, at 3000 miles?
Should I assume that there is bad gas and use Techron fuel injector cleaner early on?
Anything else?
I bought an 08 Cayman S (speed yellow) a year ago last April. Had 70 miles on it when I bought it. Changed the oil at 750 miles and the oil filter housing oil was "filthy".

Extremely glad I changed the oil.

See pic.

Changed oil again at 1300+ miles and oil was not nearly so dirty. In fact so little so I didn't bother taking pics cause it would not have shown up in them.

Then had oil changed again at 2000 miles -- at end of break in and this time didn't bother to look at oil filter housing oil. Oil changed at dealer.

Drive the car a bit if you want but I'd change the oil sooner rather than later. If you don't want to change it as early as I did at least change it at end of "break in" at 2K miles. I don't see much sense in hammering on an engine at the end of break in with the original oil still in the engine. After the 2K mile oil change I'd change it again at 5K miles (3K miles later) and then every 5K or a bit more afterwards. With PDK I'd schedule a PDK fluid change at 15K miles.

If you change the oil yourself, or can arrange it, have the oil filter oil dumped into a clean small drain pan and look at what you see.

Check build date on door tag. If car 2 years old I'd have brake fluid flush/bleed done. Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years and this fluid -- unlike oil -- will attract moisture and this is bad in brake fluid. Bad for the fluid. Bad for the brake system.

Also, I noticed my new car's steering wheel not centered. Had the alignment checked and it was found to be off.

No need to use Techron. Do buy name brand premium gas and shop at a busy station to ensure you get the freshest gas.

Techron a good cleaner but should be reserved for infrequent use maybe every couple of years. (I use it in my 02 Boxster a few tanks before the oil's due to be changed before the car is due of its smog check.)

Oh, green a very nice color. I have a pic of a green Carrera with the light (savanna?) leather interior. Nice color.

Battery probably has had its life shortened. With sales down I see tech at some dealerships starting up new cars and letting them idle to help keep the batteries charged up. A few end up with dead batteries cause I see the battery trolly and cables to use to jump start the cars with low or dead batteries.

All you can do is monitor battery behavior and when it is time it is time. Replace it.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 08-08-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 12:32 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Should I assume that there is bad gas and use Techron fuel injector cleaner early on?
Anything else?
congrats
if you want to use Techron, use it BEFORE you change the oil and only drive it for a few hundred miles before the oil change.
it may "get by the rings" and possibly contaminate the oil.
"course that may just be an urban legend with modern cars.

have fun

Craig
Old 04-14-2010 | 01:09 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Techron is OK, but Lubro-Molly is much better. Use one can of the valve cleaner (Ventil Sauber) and one can of the fuel injection cleaner (Jectron) in a tank of gas prior to oil change.

Quick Reply: Question from new C2S owner...