Sponsored by:

had my 1st ride in a 997, wow

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default had my 1st ride in a 997, wow

i have an 02 boxster s that i took to intro to DE this morning. after our runs, the instructors took us in one of their autocross boxsters and the dealerships' 911.

1st, i wouldn't buy that 911 that was used from the dealer.

2nd, i wasn't expecting the N/A to run that f-in fast. I was blown away.

It was like a freight train, not the turbo freight train that the magazines always talk about, but the going from a boxster to a 911 freight train.

I was planning on buying one in the future before and now i most def will be buying one.

Now, do i give the boxster to the wife, or sell it and use the $$ towards a newer one?? prob give the boxster to the wife.....

i haven't had this kind of excitement since i drove a grand national when i was 16

that is all
Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The Boxster is a nice car but... it's no 911. Give the Boxster to the wife, she'll love it.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

The 997 is an amazing machine!

The Boxster is great too and would be just as amazing as the 911 if Porsche would put a real motor in it and let people vote with their wallets. I know what I'd buy!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

i love my 911, my 997.1 was slow but 997.2 is fast as crap....

as far as avatar, never seen a wing on a boxter trunk before.. what was wrong with the stock one that goes up and down when needed.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The 997 is very strong. Tell us more about the Grand National...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i love my 911, my 997.1 was slow but 997.2 is fast as crap....
Which 997.1 did you have (S or non)? 997.2?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Which 997.1 did you have (S or non)? 997.2?
997.1 C2, and now have 997.2 C2... .1 was 6speed, .2 is pdk.. pdk is faster but the engine on .2 feels so much faster than .1, i thought my .1 was so quick around town and then stepped into .2 and said holy **** i must have this.

as far as non S versus S... ive driven both in .1 and .2 and still yet to feel much of a difference to merit the 10k difference... i just have a big pet peeve on the S models... i feel they have too many models based on the fact that everyone wants bragging rights...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i feel they have too many models based on the fact that everyone wants bragging rights...
I dunno. Sounds like they have just enough models. The selection offered let you buy what you prefer while I got the one I liked better. No reason I can see that either one of us should go away unhappy and buy a Subaru or something.

Gary
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison28
[...]i wasn't expecting the N/A to run that f-in fast. I was blown away.

It was like a freight train, not the turbo freight train that the magazines always talk about, but the going from a boxster to a 911 freight train.
[...]
i haven't had this kind of excitement since i drove a grand national when i was 16 that is all
Never got to play with a Grand National, but for a few years I had a Camaro with the SS package that would light up the tires for a hundred yards after a tight autocross turn. Then we had this and that for thirty years and most recently ten years in a second-gen NSX before the dealer wrecked that and we went looking for a new "last car we'll ever need."

With all that background, I was nevertheless very impressed with the 997.2. The Boxster was a nice car when we tried it, as were the '07 Carreras and S's, but the dot two was downright impressive. Reach down and grab you by the GO-nads impressive.

That freight train effect comes from the wide flat torque curve of this engine and that's exactly the phrase we used to describe it too. In fact, after I quit writing checks to bring it home, I tried to find a personalized plate that was a variant of locomotive or "night train", but apparently the idea has already appealed to more people than the alphabet provides versions of that idea.

What amazed me was the way you can bring on power like a formula car, starting before a late apex and just letting the g-loads stay steady as you unwind the steering on the one hand, but speed builds on the other. I don't know if this steadiness combined with relentless acceleration is purely a side-effect of the new suspension on the dot twos or if PASM plays a role, but it is extremely gratifying. [i.e. fun ]

Gary
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by simsgw
I dunno. Sounds like they have just enough models. The selection offered let you buy what you prefer while I got the one I liked better. No reason I can see that either one of us should go away unhappy and buy a Subaru or something.

Gary
i like the 3.6/3.8 but i think 3.8 should be option.. and brakes and etc option as well like the pasm is... but they know how to make money and they know someone will like 1 of the extra features of the S and pay that instant 10k premium... they are smart business wise... but as far as people are concerned for some it comes down to bragging rights... i have a friend with a bare bones C2S that stickered for less than my optioned C2 and he is always ******* me for "being cheap and not buying an S, cause they kick ***"... lol... just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I had a (986) Boxster S and a (997.1) Carera S -- The most noticeable characteristic of the 3.8L engine was its torque. It really pushed hard even at low rpm, and that sensation (even more so with my PSE) really got me hooked.

Regards,
Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by Para82
The 997 is very strong. Tell us more about the Grand National...
it was 1993 and i had just earned my license. My sisters boyfriend had an 87 grand national and i was visibly drooling over it every time he came over.

He said those magic words "do you want to drive it?" I am not known for turning down a drive, ever. I was intimidated since i was driving my grams celebrity and parents renault.

But i put on the seatbelt and we warmed up and got a feel for it on the country roads. I wasn't going terribly fast since i was inexperienced.

We got to the highway and he says as I am pulling out "floor it".
You don't have to tell me twice to do that.

Permanant grin.

We were up to 70-80 quicker than i would have imagined. The force that pushed me back into the seat was amazing. the 911 is more, but when you are 16 there is nothing else.

That was the only time i have driven one, and maybe the only time, but it wet my whisle to fine cars.

A couple years later, unfortunately, her boyfriend fell asleep at the wheel and totalled the GN.
I will always remember that drive and the feel of one of the fastest cars at the time. this ride on sunday took me back, and in a couple years i will be able to afford that 911.

Quick Reply: had my 1st ride in a 997, wow