997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the 997.2 engine air filters

Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please let us know how the K&N is working for you, any noticeable difference in power delivery, noise level, etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I use BMC air filters. Used them on my 2009 for 3 years and the same filters transferred over to my 2012 GTS. These are oiled filters like a K&N filter but the issue is that people way over oil them. Just a light spray of oil and let them sit over night for the oil to spread. These filters are pretty much the same filter that comes stock in the 3.8 RS and 4.0RS.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 AM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on the BMC filters. They are exactly like stock and sould offer better filtration with less air flow restriction. I will not say that you are gaining power or anything. Maybe yes, maybe no. if anything it is not felt.
Their advantage is that you can wash them and resue them again and again...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this yesterday and saw this thread today. Typical.
2011 C2S.
Another way to handle that little assembly on the right side of the airbox (shown very well in BoomC2S's photo) is to slide the entire little assembly off of the airbox, without removing the vacuum lines or unclipping the electrical connector.
That grey (almost white in the photo) assembly will slide down (down in the photo, or backwards when you're leaning over it) by pressing upwards on the tab that is just visible on the top edge of the grey assembly, shown right above the horizontal black plastic piece of the airbox. Put your finger under the tab, pull upwards, and, while pulling upwards slide the assembly towards you. The whole thing slides out. Reinstallation is just sliding it back in until that edge clips back in place.
Also, there is a black plastic shrouded wire that just presses into a slot in the top back of the airbox. No clips or screws, it just pulls out, and presses back in.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Villa911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dashboard info shows 0.3 mpg increase to date from baseline of 24.0 highway prior to filter change. But the old filters at 13K (I bought the 09' used with12K) were surprisingly filthy. Not sure I can credit the brand at this time.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this will be very helpful in the future! thanx much!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
should offer better filtration with less air flow restriction. .
hows that exactly?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomC2S
Great write-up and, based on what I read, this is a lot easier than the 997.1. There are some subtle differences between the C2 and the C2S, mainly on the right side of the airbox. There is a vacuum and electrical connector there that needs to be disconnected prior to removing the airbox top. Two vacuum lines and one electrical connector. Remove the lower vacuum hose first and this will allow you access to the electrical connector. Pull the silver retaining clip towards you and then remove the clip. Remove the remaining vacuum hose.

The first photo shows the item that needs disconnected and the remaining pictures show the connector and vacuum hoses.

Attachment 646109
Attachment 646112
Attachment 646111
Attachment 646110
I tried for over 20 minutes to remove the air hose at the bottom of the connector and could not do it. Then I thought that there was no way Porsche would make their mechanics disconnect two vacuum hoses and an electrical connection each time they change air filters.

You can very easily remove the green connector terminal from the right side of the air box.
  • The first pic shows the connector removed from the air box. The end nearest to my fingers is toward the front of the car.
  • The tab on the top of the connector slides into the slot in the right side of air boxrbox (second pic).
  • The third pic shows how the connector slides on/off of the air box tab.
To remove the connector, LIFT UP on the end of the tab that is toward the front of the car (see first pic) and then pull the back half of the connector toward the rear of the car. I used a pair of pliers to grip the back of the connector. I hope this helps others in the future.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
PGuy2010 (02-27-2020)
Old 12-03-2013, 03:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I tried for over 20 minutes to remove the air hose at the bottom of the connector and could not do it. Then I thought that there was no way Porsche would make their mechanics disconnect two vacuum hoses and an electrical connection each time they change air filters.

You can very easily remove the green connector terminal from the right side of the air box.
  • The first pic shows the connector removed from the air box. The end nearest to my fingers is toward the front of the car.
  • The tab on the top of the connector slides into the slot in the right side of air boxrbox (second pic).
  • The third pic shows how the connector slides on/off of the air box tab.
To remove the connector, LIFT UP on the end of the tab that is toward the front of the car (see first pic) and then pull the back half of the connector toward the rear of the car. I used a pair of pliers to grip the back of the connector. I hope this helps others in the future.
Great writeup that will save others time and frustration. I had trouble with the exact same item two weeks ago and figured it out after about 20 minutes of cussing. Everything else is a breeze with this DIY.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Great writeup that will save others time and frustration. I had trouble with the exact same item two weeks ago and figured it out after about 20 minutes of cussing. Everything else is a breeze with this DIY.
Thanks!

I left out the !@#$%^&* cussing part in my write-up, which was also in the neighborhood of 20 minutes! I was afraid I would break or rip the lower vacuum hose.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
javocat
AutoX

Does anyone know how to remove thebottom half of the airbox? The bottom half is held to body sheet metal with a round metal connector, but the connector does not have a hex head or torx, etc. What tool to use? I want access to engine pulleys below airbox.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you just lift it straight up. There are pins that fit into grommets in the body.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

Thanks to Op and gota911! I installed AWE S-FLO filters today and was able to remove the sensor via pushing the gray clip up near the back and then sliding the whole sensor towards me. No disassembly of vacuum tubes or clips.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:21 AM
GaryPC
Intermediate

For the C2S which has the additional component (change-over valve) on the right hand side of the air filter housing there is no need to disconnect the (2) vacuum and (1) electrical connections as the valve can be disconnected from the housing instead. By lifting up on the back of the top grey plastic tongue with one finger tip the component slides forward and free from the housing. Mine needed to be jiggled a bit but it did pop out. It slides/clicks back in even easier.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GaryPC
For the C2S which has the additional component (change-over valve) on the right hand side of the air filter housing there is no need to disconnect the (2) vacuum and (1) electrical connections as the valve can be disconnected from the housing instead. By lifting up on the back of the top grey plastic tongue with one finger tip the component slides forward and free from the housing. Mine needed to be jiggled a bit but it did pop out. It slides/clicks back in even easier.
Yup... see post #23

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing the 997.2 engine air filters