Introducing chronolyze.com - analyze your sport chrono files

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Chronolyze_Nik
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing chronolyze.com - analyze your sport chrono files

Dear Porsche-fans,

New member to this board, and hopefully bringing something new and exciting to many fellow drivers!

Do you drive a recent 997 (ie the mkII facelifted model)? Or even a recent Cayman, Boxster or Panamera? Do you have the Sport Chrono option package? Then you probably know you can time your "laps". On the PCM you may then do some very limited analysis of your recordings, but that's about it...

When you extract the recordings from the PCM (through USB or Bluetooth), you'll find much more information: speed, RPM, g-forces, steering angle, ... The are "plain text" files however, and don't offer much else.

That's why I've made an online tool to manage and analyse these files. Here's what you can do:
- upload, organize and share your files (give comments, add ratings, ...)
- do a 3D analysis of your laps: play them back in animations and discover your driving performance!
- create graphs from all recorded data (and overlay graphs from multiple files)

Where to find us: http://www.chronolyze.com

The site is currently in its beta-testing phase, and I'm opening it now for users to try it out. Any feedback you have is highly appreciated! The help functionality is currently being built, so if there are any questions on the usage, please do let me know.

If you don't have any laps to add right now, you can still create an account and login: I've added 4 files (as "public files") recorded on the German autobahn, and one in the French Alps (yes, I took my 997 skiing!). You'll find them either in the Dashboard (select "Public Files") or in the "Files" tab -> "Public Files".

looking forward to hearing from you,
best regards,
Nik.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Tsurara
Advanced

Awesome! I am going to check this out. How exactly do I beam the files to a device?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Chronolyze_Nik
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Awesome! I am going to check this out. How exactly do I beam the files to a device?
Hi Tsurara,

well, you basically have 2 options:
- plug a USB stick in the center console, if you have the Universal Audio Connectivity option (aka the iPod option)
- through bluetooth, if you have the bluetooth carkit connectivity option.

I'm hoping you have either one of these? I find the USB transfer the easiest.

To transfer: go to "Trip" menu, choose "Option", and you will get access to the Sport Chrono recordings. Once you select a recording you have the option to transfer this file through either USB or bluetooth.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any issues getting your files out of your car!
kind regards,
Nik.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

This might be rjust perfect forme. However in my 2009 Carrera S Sport Chrono I've never been able to fully understand how to time each lap. I am at the track 15 times a year and gave up with Sport Chrono. Maybe you could tell me in laymen's terms.

I would love to check out your software. Couple of questions:
1- Will it work on a Apple? I have a new MacBook Pro
2- I do not have bluetooth or the audio interface USB so how would I extract the information?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Chronolyze_Nik
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mdrums
This might be rjust perfect forme. However in my 2009 Carrera S Sport Chrono I've never been able to fully understand how to time each lap. I am at the track 15 times a year and gave up with Sport Chrono. Maybe you could tell me in laymen's terms.

I would love to check out your software. Couple of questions:
1- Will it work on a Apple? I have a new MacBook Pro
2- I do not have bluetooth or the audio interface USB so how would I extract the information?
Hi mdrums,

well, recording the laps is fairly straightforward: you start your timing by going into the menu on your RPM dial (by using the lower left arm on yr steering column where you can check oil, TPM, etc...). Under the sport chrono menu, you start recording the laps. Your center chronometer will start timing lap 0. When you pass the finish line, tap that same arm twice. The first time you tap, the menu in your dash will ask "New Lap?" and the second tap confirms the new lap. Note that you have a couple of seconds between each tap, but the first tap will determine the end of the lap.

On your questions:
1. yes, it will work on a mac. My main dev platform is a Macbook Pro, and I've tested on Safari, Chrome and Firefox on the mac. Feel fee to sign up on the site and give it a spin!
2. as far a I know, you need either one of these options to extract the data. On your PCM, when you go to inspect the recorded laps (and where you can delete them), do you have any option to transfer when you select an individual recording?

let me know if you need any other help at all,
best regards,
Nik.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi Nik, I will check it out tomorrow and see if I have the option you are talking about. Thanks for the explaination...I feel really stupid asking that question but I never figured it out and would use the chrono for just 1 single lap. So 2 quick taps will set it up...hummmm will check it out tomorrow too.

I just registered to your site too.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Chronolyze_Nik
Former Vendor

Default Nurburgring Nordschleife laps added to chronolyze.com

Hi guys,

just a small update to what's been happening to the Chronolyze Sport Chrono analysis website. Some issues were fixed under the hood, thanks to a lot of great replies! I've also received a couple feature requests, some if which will definitely make it into the site!

I have also just added 2 new public recordings: laps on the Nurburgring Nordschleife, courtesy of Chronolyze member ir_fuel and his new GT3!!

Feel free to check them out, and I will also be adding a few laps from Belgium's famous Spa-Francorchamps racetrack later this week from a 997mk2 C4S.

As always, the address is: www.chronolyze.com

best regards,
Nik.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting, I had no idea the new Sport Chrono had this feature. Can it do accurate lap timing now as well, or does it still require the driver to mark laps with the steering column stalk?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Chronolyze_Nik
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nugget
Interesting, I had no idea the new Sport Chrono had this feature. Can it do accurate lap timing now as well, or does it still require the driver to mark laps with the steering column stalk?

Hi Nugget,

Well, you still have to tick off each lap manually. I seem to recall reading once there exists some sort of device that you can post by the side of the track which resets your lap each time you pass it... But for the life of me I can't find it back.

One option I think of putting in is letting users chop up their files graphically. Let's say you just start timing and keep it running for 10 laps so you don't have to worry about having to hit the controls each time you pass the finish line... What if you then just upload all 10 laps as a single lap and you can visually define when to start each lap...

kind regards,
Nik.

Quick Reply: Introducing chronolyze.com - analyze your sport chrono files