Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997S Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

adfsouth, how many DE's on the Girodisc so far?

Like RonCT said he and I have ran the numbers and it will take many years, depending on how many DE's you do a year to recoupe the cost of Girodisc rotors. I do not feel you will ever recoupe the cost. For DE's the stocks are fine and have a low replacment cost. The Girodisc replacement rotors...minus the hats....cost more than stock rotors! I can get 4 sets for front rotors for 1 set of front Girodisc....then you have the cost of replacment disc's on the Giro's too....I just can see any benefit myself.

However I really really would love to try them out. They are a few mm's bigger, slotted so the drilled holes do not clog with brake dust and look very cool.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did a search and it looks like there are some new OEM style replacements available for our S cars. Sebro for $98 front left or right, so that's $196 for a complete front set, rear set is $172.50. Zimmerman coated for about $293.50 front set, $250.50 rear set. This is without coupon codes, discounts, etc. at the "big online" places like PartsGeek. I'll have to hunt around a bit more. Curiously, some places only list the front left and not the right, but PartsGeek shows both.

Hmm, Centric Solid "floating" rotors for about $860 for a set of 4?!? Specifies the Carrera 4S, but 2 and 4 S have the same rotors...
http://www.racepages.com/products/?D...79+11565&Nty=1
Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I switched to GiroDisc slotted rotors up front but kept the stock rotors on the rears. The Giro's certainly last longer and I don't have to keep checking the distance between the cracks. Thus far, very happy with them. When they wear-out, I'll simply replace the discs for $300 plus about $45 for new hardware. I paid a tad over $1K for the fronts.....so the way I see it, I had a one time $750 charge for the switch (as the hats are reuseable) and I don't have to replace them as often going forward. I left the rears alone as they don't wear nearly as quickly and I found swaping them to be unessary. Just my 2 cents.
Were you quoted $300 + $45 per rotor, or per pair, for replacements? I was quoted $600 for a pair shipped with hardware, I asked if that was for a pair of rotors as opposed to a full set of 4 as it seemed high to me and was told "that is for 2 replacement rotors and hardware". If that was wrong and it is $300 per pair it would be obviously be more attractive.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact me for GiroDiscs - you'll be pleased ...
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested, please PM me the price for 997.2 C2S front and rear and the number for replacement discs and hardware. Would love to make them work out.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I'm interested, please PM me the price for 997.2 C2S front and rear and the number for replacement discs and hardware. Would love to make them work out.
Ditto 2006 997S
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by RonCT
Hey Ron, did you get a good deal from rennstore?

Last edited by mdrums; 04-13-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
adfsouth, how many DE's on the Girodisc so far?

Like RonCT said he and I have ran the numbers and it will take many years, depending on how many DE's you do a year to recoupe the cost of Girodisc rotors. I do not feel you will ever recoupe the cost. For DE's the stocks are fine and have a low replacment cost. The Girodisc replacement rotors...minus the hats....cost more than stock rotors! I can get 4 sets for front rotors for 1 set of front Girodisc....then you have the cost of replacment disc's on the Giro's too....I just can see any benefit myself.

However I really really would love to try them out. They are a few mm's bigger, slotted so the drilled holes do not clog with brake dust and look very cool.
Mike....I've had about 6 or 7 events (split between Sebring & Homestead) on the Girodiscs and they barely look worn. With stock rotors, they'd be cracking pretty bad by now.

As mentioned earlier, for just the Giro fronts, they cost me about $750 more then stock rotors. I was told by my vendor that the Giro replacements discs and hardware (using the same hats) were about $345 (I believe this was for both L&R). Assuming they last twice as long as the stock ones (maybe longer) , I really dont think the $ recapture is as bad as you think and you're getting some nice slotted floating rotors. I'm glad I made the switch and would do it again. I hated being constantly preoccupied with the cracking on the stock fronts. Plus the're larger and lighter.

I'm skipping Chin at Sebring this Saturday as I'd rather go to SAFE on the 24th....will you be there?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Adrew, hate to miss you at Chin on Saturday. I've never been to a SAFE event. Do you like SAFE better and if so why...maye I will try there event out.

Thanks for the Girodisc report...I am sooooo tempted!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
Adrew, hate to miss you at Chin on Saturday. I've never been to a SAFE event. Do you like SAFE better and if so why...maye I will try there event out.

Thanks for the Girodisc report...I am sooooo tempted!
I've definitely come to prefer SAFE. It's all solo drivers and limited to 60 participants (usually under 50). The way it works is that they split the field into 2 groups for the first hour and for the entire remainder of the day it is OPEN TRACK. Literally, from 10:00am to 3 or 4pm (excluding lunch) the track is open....you can go on and off as you please and make a session as long or short as you choose. After the first hour it seems there are never more then 15or 20 cars on the track at a time. There's always room in the paddocs and the drivers meeting is less then 10 minutes. It is a not for profit track club run by an enthusiast for nothing more then people to enjoy track time. The only downside is that pointby's are required for passing and passing zones are limited at times. Also, it costs $350 as there are fewer participants.

I've done many Chin events (as you know) and will continue to do so, however, as of recently, they really over-book the events with WAY too many people and the track gets super crowded. I understand its a for-profit business but the last event I attended with them at homestead was slammed and somewhat unenjoyable. On a side note the driver's meetings feel like they take forwever as certain people seem to like to hear themselves speak

I'll be there with Andrew R (Atlas 997), Jason (White 996 GT3), Mark V (Silver 997 GT3), Ramon (White 997.2 GT3), Craig (Black Cayman S), Jim (Black 996 Turbo) and a few other guys who I don't think you know. You should definitely come if you can swing it.

Last edited by adfsouth; 04-13-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a revival of the thread - FREE shipping for GDs.

Quick Reply: 997S Rotor Replacement