Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
cwalvoord
User

I have this problem in my 2007 C2S and I have to admit I am surprised by it. My previous Porsche was a 1983 944 and it shifted like butter for the 15 years I drove that car. Completely different setup I admit but I was surprised when after 10 years without a car I finally got the 911 and found it harder to shift. I would never consider anything other than a manual transmission so I have dealt with the problem with a combination of the suggestions already made here but I would be interested in a mechanical explanation specific to the 911 (not just gears lining up exactly wrong which would happen on any manual transmission) for why it is occasionally hard to get into first gear.
Chris
Old 01-12-2019, 01:47 AM
oronymo
User

Glad to see Iím not alone. I experience this in my 07 Targa 4s 6spd.

It mostly only happens when there is any motion still in the car (eg itís still creeping forward at like 1mph) - going into first then is often very difficult even when rev matched (I figured it was an aggressive safety/wear prevention feature). Coming to a complete stop and engaging clutch a couple times always clears it. Thatís probably a good idea anyway. Itís just more annoying/noticeable when pausing and then immediately needing to go again - for example when creeping through stop and go traffic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: