Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
cwalvoord
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem in my 2007 C2S and I have to admit I am surprised by it. My previous Porsche was a 1983 944 and it shifted like butter for the 15 years I drove that car. Completely different setup I admit but I was surprised when after 10 years without a car I finally got the 911 and found it harder to shift. I would never consider anything other than a manual transmission so I have dealt with the problem with a combination of the suggestions already made here but I would be interested in a mechanical explanation specific to the 911 (not just gears lining up exactly wrong which would happen on any manual transmission) for why it is occasionally hard to get into first gear.
Chris
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 AM
oronymo
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad to see I’m not alone. I experience this in my 07 Targa 4s 6spd.

It mostly only happens when there is any motion still in the car (eg it’s still creeping forward at like 1mph) - going into first then is often very difficult even when rev matched (I figured it was an aggressive safety/wear prevention feature). Coming to a complete stop and engaging clutch a couple times always clears it. That’s probably a good idea anyway. It’s just more annoying/noticeable when pausing and then immediately needing to go again - for example when creeping through stop and go traffic.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 PM
SCOTT.C
Track Day

I’ve had 1st-2nd gear notchiness in my 09 targa 4 since owning it for 15 months. When cold, the clutch needs to be put completely to the floor to engage first gear and also when shifting into second. I’ve tried different techniques but nothing works except letting the car warm up and it gets somewhat better. I love the car and don’t drive hard, just cruising on nice days. I have no desire to take it to the track, but it’s not an option in its current state. I bought a warranty through Porsche when I purchased the car and I’m coming up on the 30,000 mile service. Last time I was in for an oil change the tech said the clutch/trans was perfect. Of course the car was brought in at operating temperature. I’m planning on leaving the car overnight so it can be checked while it’s cold.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Gary Black
Track Day

Originally Posted by oronymo
Glad to see I’m not alone. I experience this in my 07 Targa 4s 6spd.

It mostly only happens when there is any motion still in the car (eg it’s still creeping forward at like 1mph) - going into first then is often very difficult even when rev matched (I figured it was an aggressive safety/wear prevention feature). Coming to a complete stop and engaging clutch a couple times always clears it. That’s probably a good idea anyway. It’s just more annoying/noticeable when pausing and then immediately needing to go again - for example when creeping through stop and go traffic.
Theres no first gear synchros so shifting to 1st while moving will always be hard on you and the tranny.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
SCOTT.C
Track Day

After resurrecting this thread from the past is there any consensus today about the cause of this 1st and 2nd gear issue and/or remedy? It seems like cars were either built with issue to begin with or they didn't. I have not read where the issue developed over time. I'm hoping to put my warranty to good use and pressure the dealer to make some adjustments. Hopefully they can/will make it happen.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:27 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Did you change the gear oil with PTX?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Happens to me. I usually apply a small amount of pressure and begin to let the clutch out and it goes right in. Do it slow so there’s no grinding.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:49 PM
SCOTT.C
Track Day

Ill try that Clinton but even if it works that shouldn’t be the way to shift a car of this pedigree with low miles. As far as PTX, I have not used it. I’ll do some research on it. I don’t suppose the dealer will put it in. Thx
Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTT.C
Ill try that Clinton but even if it works that shouldn’t be the way to shift a car of this pedigree with low miles. As far as PTX, I have not used it. I’ll do some research on it. I don’t suppose the dealer will put it in. Thx
There are a couple threads here about this. PTX is the OEM gear oil. Changing the oil almost always eliminates or greatly improves shifting into first and second.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:00 PM
SCOTT.C
Track Day

Hey, that’s great news. I’ll check out those threads. Thank you. And I’ll report my findings after my dealer service
Old 01-19-2019, 04:34 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

I purchased my 911 9 years ago with only 6000 miles . Today it has 80,000 glorious miles. My observations are similar to a lot of people on this thread. Stiff when cold, better warmed up. When the occasional balk happens at a stop light I blip the throttle go to 2nd gear, then 1st.
Besides gear oil and if needed a new clutch makes a big difference. Maybe bleeding the slave cylinder. I recently changed my transmission mount and it made a nice little difference in engaging 2nd gear during aggressive downshifting

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-19-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:11 PM
SCOTT.C
Track Day

Did you install an aftermarket mount? How many hours required to get it done?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Nothing has changed. 1st geat jam? Simple cheap solution that could work for you without a dealer. Read here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

I read Motul now has a PTX alternative... no reviews to date that I am aware of.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-19-2019, 08:44 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTT.C
Did you install an aftermarket mount? How many hours required to get it done?
i did not go aftermarket or stiffer because i heard you can increase engine vibration in to the cabin with stiffer transmission mounts. i changed tranny mount at 75k miles. even with new stock oem Lemforder tranny mount i could feel more precision with aggressive shifting. new rubber mount is already stiffer than tired old rubber mount. had my indy do it since he had $400 tool needed to press it out and back in. took a couple hours.

Quick Reply: Difficulty selecting 1st gear