Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 11:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
This is understandable, because the Motul 300 has a lower viscosity than the PTX at lower temperatures. And as we all notice, the problem with first gear disappears when the transmission is warm!
Not all.... Mine is there when hot.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 12-15-2022, 05:12 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 279 Posts

Bruce, Have a report on shifting when engine OFF and when engine is running? reply #132. Doesn't matter if warm or cold (not too cold). I can deal with the tribology.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:29 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floyd540
Bruce, Have a report on shifting when engine OFF and when engine is running? reply #132. Doesn't matter if warm or cold (not too cold). I can deal with the tribology.
I will do that this evening.

Peace
Old 12-15-2022, 07:48 PM
tuner562
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
That is a good information, when transmission/oil was warm, did the shifting problems into reverse dissapear or was ist still difficult?
It was the same warm or cold.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Cold at 42F with the engine off, the shifting is pretty much the same. Sometimes 1st jams, other times straight in. With the engine off, if I get the 1st gear jam, I have to go to 2nd, 3rd, whatever and then I can get it into 1st. Once in, it is straight in over and over... everything is properly aligned. Again, I feel the points on the dog teeth are worn and flattened some.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-16-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:36 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I moved to Florida and haven't had an issue since.😊
Old 12-17-2022, 10:34 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

@jayzbird is right, I use the same techique for both my 915 car (also cranky going into first at all temps) and my 997.2 (cranky when cold). I usually release fully and push in, I'll try the partial.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:56 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 279 Posts

Since you are reporting that the shifting is "about the same" whether the engine is running or not gives us an important piece of information. This means that the clutch system/pilot bearing is completely releasing when the clutch pedal is fully pressed. This eliminates about a hundred different possible causes. When the engine is off and the car is sitting still, there is no motion going on so when you do get engagement you will always get repeated engagement. When the engine is running and the clutch is released in neutral you get rotation of the main input shaft, so the gear engagement (tooth to tooth) will always be different.
So now we are off to sort the next 100 possibilities.
Question: have you replaced the shift cables ,assuming they are the original .2 cables?
One if the issues we have with rear engine Porsches is the transmission could not be farther away from the shift lever. The monkey motion of the 356's is always (almost) the cause of shifting problems. In our cars that use a Bowden cable arrangement we have the inherent design problem of long distance and a semi-flexible cable that only works well in tension but is poor and springy in compression. For cars that have the shift lever built into the top of the gearbox there is a direct mechanical connection to the forks. That is a direct and rigid assembly. We do not have this luxury.
I doubt you have an internal transmission problem. Cable operated linkages will never be perfect. They just can't.
I am betting on cables /cable ends.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:21 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I still like to double clutch shifting from 2nd to 1st while moving

I've done all the shifting improvement mods, and agree with @Bruce In Philly that the resistance may be due to internal wear.

1st to 2nd when cold is more of an effort than it should be. Fine when warm . . .
Old 12-17-2022, 09:04 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Question: have you replaced the shift cables ,assuming they are the original .2 cables?
I doubt you have an internal transmission problem. Cable operated linkages will never be perfect. They just can't.
I am betting on cables /cable ends.
Original cables. I did install the Numeric Shifter with no affect on shifting issues. The cable ends are pinned to the transmission so the cables move with it. I am not sure how the cable attachment to the levers at the transmission can make a difference. They are just on there. I can't get under there to look as I need a lift. But they are either attached or broken. The 997.2 appears to be more durable than the .1 as I don't recall anyone having a cable end break.

For this, I don't know if I am ever going to get under there as I don't take my car to dealers. Must just wait I guess... I must repeat that changing the fluid turned my car from being a real problem to tolerable... it was real.

Peace
Old 12-20-2022, 10:44 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
For this, I don't know if I am ever going to get under there as I don't take my car to dealers. Must just wait I guess.
In the Nashville area, I had a similar problem where I knew where to look under the car if only I could put it up on a lift. I posted to this effect on the PCA Nashville (Musik Stadt) chapter's Facebook page, and I almost immediately was contacted by a member who has a full-bliown personal shop with a lift (he collects Porsches and does all his own maintenance). A brief drive over and problem confirmed and solved! Now, I have a standing invitation to come over whenever I need to. I suggest trying something similar with the Atlanta chapter (Peachstate Region), which is much bigger and even more diverse than the Nashville one and should be brimming with generous resources.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:52 AM
srb1194
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I've driven the car a little more now and can say there isn't a discernible difference in the shifting with the new fluid. I'm having the shift rods calibrated today so that may yield an improvement. I'll report back if we accomplish anything or nothing. After this process today I'll either enjoy the repairs or learn to live with it.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srb1194
I've driven the car a little more now and can say there isn't a discernible difference in the shifting with the new fluid. I'm having the shift rods calibrated today so that may yield an improvement. I'll report back if we accomplish anything or nothing. After this process today I'll either enjoy the repairs or learn to live with it.
Ask them where exactly the calibration occurs... what they did. As I understand, the only calibration point is under the shifter and all that does is allow you to adjust the shifter to be straight up or canted.

Peace
Old 12-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinCase
In the Nashville area, I had a similar problem where I knew where to look under the car if only I could put it up on a lift. I posted to this effect on the PCA Nashville (Musik Stadt) chapter's Facebook page, and I almost immediately was contacted by a member who has a full-bliown personal shop with a lift (he collects Porsches and does all his own maintenance). A brief drive over and problem confirmed and solved! Now, I have a standing invitation to come over whenever I need to. I suggest trying something similar with the Atlanta chapter (Peachstate Region), which is much bigger and even more diverse than the Nashville one and should be brimming with generous resources.
Excellent idea, I will look into it.

Peace
Old 12-20-2022, 11:51 AM
srb1194
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll certainly ask. I believe you are correct and it really just puts the shifter in the center. Although I hate to spend the money I just want to bring closure to this. I really doubt that this procedure is going to fix anything but it may. Other posts indicate that it can make a difference.

Last edited by srb1194; 12-20-2022 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Difficulty selecting 1st gear