tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats DE?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are sliding you probably dont have great tires..go with ps2 - best tires i have ever had by far!!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Whats DE?
Porsche Driver's Experience
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...ience_2010.pdf

Basically Driver's Ed for the criminally insane.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonCT
First suggestion goes to your last point. If you are starting DE, then that's a great place to learn car control and not by reading ideas from us

Secondly, you really shouldn't be driving "out of control" on the street. I've been street and track driving my M3 and then Porsches for many years and have yet to break the rear loose on the street whether wet, cold, damp, etc. There's so much traction there. It's just as hard to break them loose on the track, even on low radius 90s and fast entry speed, full throttle at apex, etc. Maybe it's your tires? I've only had PS2s, so can't answer to others. But the PS2s stick like glue pretty much no matter what.

Probably the most common incident I see on the track is when a beginner is tracking out and on the throttle and gets spooked because he feels he applied too much, or has carried too much speed through to track-out. The panic hits and instead of either gently reducing throttle, unwinding the steering wheel to get steerage back, or staying on throttle to run through the issue (ie: drive over rumbles), he lifts abruptly. That shifts the weight of the car back onto the front tires, which are understeering, and then the spin starts as the front tires bite from the weight transfer.

Basically, take it easy on the street and go to DE with an open mind to learn.
Can't agree more. Take it easy on the street. Learn on the track at a DE in a controlled environment. The cars suspension and staggered tire sizes make it very neutral towards under steer from the factory. PSM is one of the best also.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Whats DE?
Driving school organized by your local PCA chapter or others.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two additional thoughts:

Heat up the tires before any aggressive moves...especially in the wet. I've seen even experienced drivers at the track spin out accelerating out of the paddock on the first run during a cool morning. TPMS is very helpful in this regard.

Also, did you get a chance to get on the skid pad during any of the schools you attended? There's no better (or safer) way to feel the back end coming out and learn how to regain control.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Whats DE?
Driver's Education, or often HPDE for High Performance Driver's Education. PCA does some, SCCA and NASA hold a lot of them, too. There's probably 1 or more a month in your area. Check your local car forums, they'll have lots of info.

I wouldn't really recommend DE for learning to drive on the edge of traction for situations like this. For DE, you want to approach but never actually exceed the edge of traction because it's so dangerous. Autocross, on the other hand, is a lot more aggressive since there's so little risk to it, and a much better tool for learning to drive on the edge/past the edge of traction. It's a lot cheaper, too

Quick Reply: Noobi 911 handling question...