Sponsored by:

My First Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
akacaj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Porsche!

2008 Carrera 4S Cab with 6k miles. 2 more years in warranty. Picked it up about two weeks ago. The car is spotless (some wrinkles in drivers seat) and for the first time in my life I am in love with a car. I am hoping that the wrinkles will be taken care of under warranty.

Small Mods that I am considering:
Clear Side Markers - DONE
Change white Carrera 4S emblem in back to black with red S or silver.
Remove PORSCHE sticker on windshield. I think the previous owner did that after market.
PSE - but at $4,000+ seems prohibitively expensive considering that it is just a sound upgrade.

Anything else?

To my surprise TOOKI is already in the car. Dealer never mentioned it. Do you think they did that on purpose because it might void the warranty?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Nice car. Have fun with it!
I think the wrinkles in the seat is normal wear and doubt they will cover it. Just put some leather cleaner and conditioner on it and enjoy.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by akacaj
2008 Carrera 4S Cab with 6k miles. 2 more years in warranty. Picked it up about two weeks ago. The car is spotless (some wrinkles in drivers seat) and for the first time in my life I am in love with a car. I am hoping that the wrinkles will be taken care of under warranty.

Remove PORSCHE sticker on windshield. I think the previous owner did that after market.
PSE - but at $4,000+ seems prohibitively expensive considering that it is just a sound upgrade.

Anything else?

To my surprise TOOKI is already in the car. Dealer never mentioned it. Do you think they did that on purpose because it might void the warranty?
Definitely lose the sticker on the windshield. Suggest that you NOT change the color of the rear Carrera emblem--the car was ordered that way at additional expense. It is to tone down the already heavy advertising on these things.

PSE at $4000--seems really high. At the time of manufacture it was something like $2550. Even through Sunset Porsche (for parts) it just can't be as high as $3000 with install.

TOOKI--I have it as well, as it won't negate any warranty.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Beautiful clean car. Great first Porsche! Welcome to RL.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car---enjoy!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:52 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice car. many congratulations!

dan - i think the PSE is nearly $4k installed now. the install is much longer on the new cars than the old.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:01 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with Dan. Very nice car - cabs can really pull off some cool wheels better than coupes to me. Those turbo wheels make it look nicely aggressive.

Check into a SmartTop from mod4cars - very handy device/simple mod: https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...oducts&cat=151
Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Helluva first Porsche!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

nice car and you have the "all red" taillights too...

keep the emblem, remove the Porsche sticker, get the smartop and you are good to go
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations. I'd hold off on the rear logo for a while. I took mine off my Targa 4S because I found my wash mitt always getting caught on it. I may remove the one on my latest cab for the same reason. I like the clean look.

I wouldn't rush into a PSE either. Used sets can be purchased for $1000-$1500 (make sure they include the solenoid, wiring, tubing etc.), and if you have any mechanical skills, can be installed by you. I installed a system in my Targa for total out of pocket cost of $1400. And you're right, it is purely aesthetic (sound), with no power gain, but some weight gain. For me, the addition of high-flow cats produced the best sound, plus gives a slight nudge to power. If I do anything to exhaust setup on my current car, it will likely be cats, not PSE. They can be picked up for between $900 and $1400, depending on age etc.

Enjoy that great cab.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Definitely check to see if there is a SMART TOP module already installed. Starting with a locked car, hold down the UNLOCK button for about 4-6 seconds. Watch to see if the windows open up and the top starts to go down remotely. BEST mod for a cab.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

do a gundo hack and save the 4k PSE
Old 03-26-2010, 03:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Anything else?
Beautiful car. As someone else said, the turbo wheels look so much better on a cab for some reason. Do some research on improving the noise from behind. PSE is not the only option and $4,000 sounds ridiculous. There's Tubi, Fabspeed, AWE, Borla and others for much less. They all sound amazing compared to stock but can't be muted with a push button like PSE. Can't speak for others but my neighbors still wave at me after almost 3 years of un-muted Tubi coming through every day. You don't need a button to keep it civil. Also, unless you bought a tip, the short shift kit is a must imo. And that should do it.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 AM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous specimen. Congrats. My black c4 arrived with a huge "carrera 4" decal at the bottom of both doors. Initially I thought it gaudi but I've since come to appreciAte the tradition.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Anything else?
Agree with clear corners, and removing the sticker on winshield, but DO NOT change white Carrera emblem, it looks great on that car, and makes it unique.

PSE a good option, maybe enjoy the car for a bit before upgrading...

Quick Reply: My First Porsche!