Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Classic wheels now available from OPC network

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010 | 06:14 PM
Wills
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevepow
Just opened my April Panorama - Page 9 Advert for 19in Sport Classic Wheels* and PDK Paddle-Shift Wheel - Genuine Tequipment.

* for MY 2005 and newer AWD 911s only.
This is interesting as I got my April "Christophorus" Porsches mag in the UK which also features the sport classic wheels and I quote..

"The new 19 inch sport classic alloy wheel features the classic Fuchs wheel rim look made popular four decades ago by the 911s. The spoked rim has a high gloss black finish, with a burnished rim flange. The wide version (8.5" front 11.5" rear), orginally specific to the sport classic, is now available for all 911 models"

Also note that they talk about a "wide version" surely that presupposes a narrow version? doesn't really add up....
Old 04-19-2010 | 09:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

One can hope - we always get the crappy options in the US - some sort of regs, no doubt. But maybe they'll make the for NB too. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Chisto - see if I can spot the wheel ad in between all the watch fanfare.

Maybe Suncoast can sort it out soon.
Old 04-19-2010 | 09:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

My copy of Christophorus seems to indicate that they fit the AWD cars only.

Hang in there. The REAL McCoy is in production now. For both narrow body and wide body cars--and the big difference is that the Fuchs Racing wheels are single-piece, drop forged (like the original Fuchs wheel). The Techquipment wheels seen on the Sport Classic cars are pressure cast. That's a big difference in my book.
Old 04-20-2010 | 02:17 PM
Wills
Advanced

I would say that it's pretty clear what they are saying in the UK edition, however they could be wrong!
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2010 | 02:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Time will tell! (If they produced them for both wheel wells).
Old 04-26-2010 | 01:27 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

hey dan any new news on our fuchs 19" wheels will they be available soon in the american market? any recent updates?
Old 05-27-2010 | 07:03 PM
sonny1
Banned

Guys, check this company, they already making forged Fuchs at any size., www.fuchfactory.com
Old 05-27-2010 | 07:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonny1
Guys, check this company, they already making forged Fuchs at any size., www.fuchfactory.com
Fuch Factory (as I am reading their page) only manufactures wheels (Fuchs windmills) in diameter 14-16 inches. Certainly not a factor for 997 cars. Also, they are CAST wheels--substantially inferior to real DROP FORGED rims.

The Fuchs Racing (USA) wheels out of California will be available this Autumn. Hope to have some real pictures very soon. So far, it seems that Fuchs Racing is the only true game in town when it comes to drop forged Fuchs windmill style wheels, engineered for our diameters and widths/offsets.
Old 05-27-2010 | 11:25 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So far, it seems that Fuchs Racing is the only true game in town when it comes to drop forged Fuchs windmill style wheels, engineered for our diameters and widths/offsets.
Will we see them on your turq blue? dave
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams
Will we see them on your turq blue? dave
Actually, yes you will!
Old 05-28-2010 | 11:14 AM
sonny1
Banned

Read a little bit more downwards, they do it in any diameter and width, I just E-mail them,lets see.,cheers.
p/s they are forged too!!

Fuch Factory (as I am reading their page) only manufactures wheels (Fuchs windmills) in diameter 14-16 inches. Certainly not a factor for 997 cars. Also, they are CAST wheels--substantially inferior to real DROP FORGED rims.

The Fuchs Racing (USA) wheels out of California will be available this Autumn. Hope to have some real pictures very soon. So far, it seems that Fuchs Racing is the only true game in town when it comes to drop forged Fuchs windmill style wheels, engineered for our diameters and widths/offsets.
Old 06-20-2010 | 09:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Just saw the Sport Classic wheels at the dealership across the street from the Porsche Museum.

A couple thoughts:

- Please change to black wheel lug nuts. Just like the cars that orginally wore them. The silver nuts really stand out.
- do you guys think the rotor hats should be painted black also? The silver really stands out, maybe the whole assembly would look better with everything black up to the rotors. (not trying to be negative, just a thought. People paint them silver to hide rust and to blend in better with silver rims...may the same effect when you swtich everything to black?)
- The finish on the lip of the rim was bad. I didn't have a goood camera with me, but maybe you can see the waves in the lip. I don't know the construction method, whether the lip is machined or painted but look at 4 o' clock on the rim...see the waves on the reflection of the lip? Those waves were visible around the whole rim and it looks very poor - like bad machining or a bad paint job of some sort. That said it would be totally acceptable on a cheap rim where you like the style, but you're on a budget and don't mind compromising quality a bit...but not at this price. PM me if you want a full resolution pic (I'm on vacation so it may take me a couple days to get back to you).
Attached Images    
Old 06-20-2010 | 09:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The ones we're seeing from Porsche right now are cast wheels. Fuchs continues to make forged ones. The Tequipment ones are now being copied by the Chinese with a casting foundry--for about $400!
Old 06-23-2010 | 01:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

The ones we're seeing from Porsche right now are cast wheels. Fuchs continues to make forged ones. The Tequipment ones are now being copied by the Chinese with a casting foundry--for about $400!
not being an expert here, which type are going to be as light or lighter than the standard S wheels. Arent all the chepaer wheels , like the Chinese ones, going to be heavier?
Old 06-23-2010 | 02:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The cheaper they are, the heavier they are. The most expensive process, forging, lightens your wallet about as much as your unsprung weight!

Quick Reply: Sport Classic wheels now available from OPC network