Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Bummer - bottomed out

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - well done. That is precisely the intersection. I turned into the left turn only lane exactly where the white arrow is in the left turn lane, beckoning me to go there in order to take a left turn. It was dusk, almost completely dark. If the this narrow strip of curb was a "real median", it would have been obvious. With all this said, I don't doubt that your description of the process may be pperfectly accurate. I shall report back.....
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have these concrete medians in Ireland too - they call them 'traffic calming areas. They are not reflectorised on purpose - you really have to slow down in case you run over them - so I suppose they do they job. Newly constructed ones are of course very dangerous but usually there is a 'traffic calming' sign before them so if you do hit one its your own bad luck / lack of attention. But as a policeman I can appreciate the frustration you feel with the city as these can do very serious damage to a car if driven over at any rate of speed.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mossjn
Wow - well done. That is precisely the intersection. I turned into the left turn only lane exactly where the white arrow is in the left turn lane, beckoning me to go there in order to take a left turn. It was dusk, almost completely dark. If the this narrow strip of curb was a "real median", it would have been obvious. With all this said, I don't doubt that your description of the process may be pperfectly accurate. I shall report back.....
Good luck. Hope they had lost the reflectors or you can find traces of white paint now worn away. In either such case, you may gain more than sympathy from the City Engineer's department when they are asked to comment on your claim. I never met an engineering group that didn't feel their maintenance budget was unfairly targeted. Give them half an excuse and they'll use a claim like yours to illustrate the foolishness of cutting funds for minimal necessities like painting obstacles white and putting shiny bits on them here and there. (We tend to think in such language as soon as we anticipate budget meetings and talking to bean counters.)

Gary
Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What you are looking for is the California version of the Federal MUTCD ( Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices ). California has its own manual that is probably stronger than the federal manual I'm quoting below.

From the 2009 MUTCD (link: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009/...009edition.pdf )

Section 3B.23 Curb Markings

Code:
Standard:
07 Where curbs are marked for delineation or visibility purposes, the colors shall comply with the general
principles of markings (see Section 3A.05).
Guidance:
08 Retroreflective solid yellow markings should be placed on the approach ends of raised medians and curbs
of islands that are located in the line of traffic flow where the curb serves to channel traffic to the right of
the obstruction.
09 Retroreflective solid white markings should be used when traffic is permitted to pass on either side of the island.
So you can see, the federal manual specifially states that curbs and islands in the roadway should have REFLECTIVE paint on the traffic facing surfaces. There are similar regulations for longitudinal traffic separators.

So the only thing you need to ask any City/State/County traffic engineer is: "Why did the <insert jurisdiction here> not comply with the established regulations on marking this curb/divider in the roadway?"
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minok - Great data. I will follow up on this with the City, my insurance company, etc and report back. Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: Complete Bummer - bottomed out