Sponsored by:

I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Congrats on your purchase!

Welcome, and great car you purchased....quite capable stock and lots of potential with some mods to improve.

Coil overs.... These cars perform great but can float a bit, a nice set of quality coil overs can help in that area, help you carry more speed into and out of turns thus higher speeds. Not seat of your pants boost but still can impact speed and Cleary aid in performance and aesthetics dropping the car a bit.....

Tires.... if the car is a 05 check the tires, possibly could have been swapped or replaced worn with lesser make/model and even miss matching tires. Huge area for overall perf gain is in the tires... take a look.

Gundo hack as mentioned by another on this thread is a fun mod. I did this and was pleased with the results.

Keep your stock parts... you can always go back to stock and sell separate possibly some of your mod parts. OK to buy used some parts if bought right, from a quality seller, possible known rennlister etc..

Just a few things, hope this helps and again congrats on the purchase of your Purchase buddy..... MOD away..............

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search on gundo for a cheap/simple way to get PSE-like sound (minus on/off capability)
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Few ideas... short shift kit by B/M or OEM as Porsche offers one.
In your rush to yell at the people you disagree with I guess you missed the part where he said his car is a tiptronic. Makes the short shift kit a less useful suggestion.

I agree totally about the tires, though.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default yes short shift not a great mod for an auto

Yup your right..... modified post....

Not yelling, no long sentences in caps...couple words capped out just to mark a point was all.

Originally Posted by Nugget
In your rush to yell at the people you disagree with I guess you missed the part where he said his car is a tiptronic. Makes the short shift kit a less useful suggestion.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget

From what was told before - prior to experimenting with tires it would worth to get proper alignment done.

Again, I stay at my point of view which is no different with what other people say - if FI is not on a map then one can get BMC filter, 200cell cats, Softronic flash and forget about engine mods for a while.

Exterior/interior pieces everyone can do as they`e pleased including stereo. It does not change how car runs anyway.

After engine mods next thing is for beginner to get proper alignment on stock setup having -1 front camber, -1.5 rear camber. Then if car will be raced/tracked - do GT3 mods depending on budget - lower control arms, upper mounts, if required to go way up to -3 degrees camber - adjustable toe links. I do not have adjustable links and without them I could get -1.9 camber in rear max having .10 toe and that limits how much you can go in front if you will stay within .3 degrees diff between rear and front.

Anyone can do whatever he/she wants and pleased, it is a free world. 997.1 car is an ultimate sled, a great platform to build on it whatever you want, al those 'factory packages' how you call them 'S','GT3' - al of that means nothing. Everything is replaceable if needed or wished for. It is just a matter of money and creativity.

Quick Reply: I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice