Sponsored by:

I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice

Wow, can't believe I waited this long. I can't stop smiling getting in/out of the car.

I just purchased a certified '07 C2 coupe tip (wife made me, so she can drive my inebriated butt home on date nights) and would like some recommendations on value-add mods that won't void my warranty.

As its a 'base' Carrera, I was hoping there were chipsets, etc that could give me some more "punch" (like I need it, but hey, I can - right?)

All I have done in the week I have owned it is buy Euro-clear side turn signal indicators to replace the only orange on my baby.

I was also thinking about replacing the PCM interface with an aftermarket Pioneer setup (GPS, NAV, Bluetooth, Backup Cam, etc), as mine is bare bones and I miss handsfree calling.

Any and all advice is welcome (including whether or not you think I am de-valuing the car with the Pioneer system swap out).

Thanks and VERY HAPPY YO BE HERE!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are the pics?!? This thread is worthless without pics.

Have you joined PCA yet?

Don't get too hung up on power mods, especially if you're new to the whole 911 rear-engine experience. These cars are about a lot more than just power and torque and you should get a feel for the delightful handling first. Once you've had a chance to really get to know the car, then (and only then) will it make sense for you to look to the aftermarket for performance improvements if there's a particular area you think you'd like to improve. I don't think there's much sense bolting on doo-dads without a goal in mind for each one.

Please consider signing up for a local autocross and/or track day. You'll never really get what these cars are about just driving on the street.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket stereos, but you're right to wonder. The factory PCM is mediocre. You can add many of the features you're missing while still maintaining a stock appearance. Eric over at bumperplugs.com sells a Dension device that adds iPod to PCM and there's an optional bluetooth module for it as well. I had the Dension device in my last car and I was very happy with it. I found it a really good compromise between features and keeping a factory look inside. Solid operation, not very fiddly, and it worked ok.

What part of the world are you in? Almost for certain there are rennlisters local to you who would love to pitch in a hand directly or give you a chance to experience mods you're considering.

Welcome to the world of Porsche. You'll be ruined for other cars from here on out.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
Wow, can't believe I waited this long. I can't stop smiling getting in/out of the car.

I just purchased a certified '07 C2 coupe tip (wife made me, so she can drive my inebriated butt home on date nights) and would like some recommendations on value-add mods that won't void my warranty.

As its a 'base' Carrera, I was hoping there were chipsets, etc that could give me some more "punch" (like I need it, but hey, I can - right?)
I run 'base' 06 C2 car as well.
If you are after serious power boost - consider this new TPC turbo kit:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...soon-p-35.html

Compared to incremental spending on exhaust parts, ECU flashes etc it makes most bang per buck but is quite extreme and voids warranty of course.

For safer approach I would recommend BMC panel into stock airbox, 200cell cats instead of stock ones, does not matter which - Fabspeed, AWE or whatever you find cheaper, then Softronic ECU flash on top of that to get permanent sport mode on and some HP gain. Softronic is $1K, cats are $1.5K or cheaper depending where you get it from. Then just do proper alignment on stock suspension with 0 toe and max negative camber in front and -1.5 degrees in rear with 0.10 toe.

That all will improve car big time and that is actually more than enough for whole first year until you figure out what do you want to make out from that car. Replacing PCM is a waste of money IMHO but if you decide to put whole new set of premium speakers, 2-3 nice amplifiers and sound processor with Audyssey - why the heck not? It`s just money anyway.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Pcar. Please post some photos to make the buy complete!!!!

Enjoy
Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, by the time you spend all that money with power modifications...you should have bought a C2S!!
Don't waste your money....I bought AWE muffler for a prettier sound. Personally, I would not swap out stereos...its not right in a Porsche. BTW, the $12k+ you might spend on the Turbo kit might be better spent on an nice vacation with your wife and a diamond ring.
always IMHO
abe

Last edited by abe; 03-21-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget

Have you joined PCA yet?

Don't get too hung up on power mods, especially if you're new to the whole 911 rear-engine experience. These cars are about a lot more than just power and torque and you should get a feel for the delightful handling first. Once you've had a chance to really get to know the car, then (and only then) will it make sense for you to look to the aftermarket for performance improvements if there's a particular area you think you'd like to improve. I don't think there's much sense bolting on doo-dads without a goal in mind for each one.

Please consider signing up for a local autocross and/or track day. You'll never really get what these cars are about just driving on the street.
+1 The best investment is to join your local PCA chapter, and sign up for Autocross, and Driver Education Events. Learn how to really drive the car.

Enjoy it!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to your 997, and welcome to the family.

I agree with everyone about joining PCA and participating in its local chapter driving events. You will learn a lot from the nice folks over there. Once there, extra money will be well spent on a set of track wheels, some set of tires, plus some brake pads.

Like folks say, the best money to spend modifying our car is to tighen 'that loose nut' behind our steering wheel

Regards,
Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Join the PCA, you will get a real appreciation of the type of car you own. The only drawback I see is that you might trade in your tip for a 6 spd or PDK.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I never understand the obsession to 'mod' a car that was really nice from the factory in the first place. Go take driving lessons to exploit what you already have. 90% of Porsche owners can't drive what they already have anywhere near their limits. Spend the 'mod money' wisely on track days and instruction.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I never understand the obsession to 'mod' a car that was really nice from the factory in the first place. Go take driving lessons to exploit what you already have. 90% of Porsche owners can't drive what they already have anywhere near their limits. Spend the 'mod money' wisely on track days and instruction.
Ditto. And many Porsche drivers destroy their cars soon after they get them.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

+1.

You've bought a Porsche, NOT TO MOD! On all other cars, they are not meant to be driven hard, fast, or on tracks, hence all the mods to get em CLOSE to Porsche's and the like.

I modded the F out of my Audi, and it was pretty fast... BUT, it was never as good of a package as my 911 is today.

So, as others said, join PCA, do a couple of track days, and then you can start looking at OEM parts to make your car more individual, or add iPod integration, etc...

Welcome to the club!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First thought is to find a designated driver so you don't get hauled in to jail and have your new car towed to impound.

Second is to not mod the car for at least 6 months. The car is a serious performer already and you haven't even scratched the surface for what it can do. Are you planning on PCA Drivers Ed so you can explore the limits of the car and thus know what mods you might need / want?

For added punch I'm afraid the answer is to get a different car and a C2S isn't going to feel that much different, so look to the 997 TT. If the C2 doesn't have enough punch for you, nothing safe that you are going to do to the car is going to help. There's no chip for the 997, it's all software and even software isn't going to give you a significant change.

Do a search on the forum here and you will find many threads about stereo. The last thread was on Friday and it appears you are looking at between $5k and $10k for an audio upgrade. Porsche audio is not an easy change. Also, try the search for all of your questions - trust me, they've been asked before and there are years of experience contained in the answers. Searching with your question key words in the subject matter is more focused (ie: stereo upgrade in subject will get you right to what you want).

The best thing I can suggest if you want a "different sound / feel" from your car is to tweak the exhaust so maybe it feels faster than it really is (which is very fast). If you really want "the works" that shouldn't blow up the car, consider Porsche X51 headers, AWE Cats, and Softronic software - very cost effective. I think that combination with the stock mufflers sounds great and performs / responds better. But you still aren't going to get a "punch".

Finally, you joined the Porsche Club, but as others have asked "Have you joined the Porsche Club...of America"? Try this - take 6 months off the "mod bug" and get involved with other like-minded Porsche fanatics. Go on some "fun runs" or whatever your local chapter calls it. Great ways to enjoy a nice afternoon and get a great lunch or dinner in a great setting after driving some twisties. Try a PCA HPDE and get on the track to learn the dynamics of a rear-engined car. Go to some chapter monthly meetings to learn about Porsche shops in your area, what they do, how they could work with you as you slowly personalize your car.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

+10000000

the care is virtuallly perfect the way it is. i cringe when i see someone get a new car then go putting horrible wheels on it, and adding a bunch of other nonsense that totally ruins it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
For added punch I'm afraid the answer is to get a different car and a C2S isn't going to feel that much different, so look to the 997 TT.
There is a Russian proverb that in many knowledge one finds many sorrows.

3.6L engines can be pushed quite high quite well, only question here is how to do it right minimizing risk to blow it up. Overall design of those motors is very good indeed and saying that TT is a required first step - well, may be it could make it easier but definitely not cheaper.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

WOW!!! Thanks for the solid feedback!!!

I am willing to wait the 6 months before doing anything to the car as has been suggested and will most definitely join PCA. Dealer through in a free PDE track lesson with the purchase, and I am almost fearful as to the amount I will end up shelling out in tires/brake pads after getting hooked on the track.

I am in Houston, and would love to join a local PCA club. Still new to all of this. My girl may not be fresh off the boat (she got here 2 years before I did), but I am still wet behind the ears.

Quick Reply: I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice