I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
+10000000

the care is virtuallly perfect the way it is. i cringe when i see someone get a new car then go putting horrible wheels on it, and adding a bunch of other nonsense that totally ruins it.
That you, Pepper? The same one traipsing around the **** and flaunting your PCar?

You're probably as much at fault for my purchase as anyone.

Envy is a b----

And small world.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

While super charging might be possible, not sure a new owner of his 1st Porsche is going to want to head in that direction, perhaps until the warranty expires because SC would void it.

Don't worry about tires and pads. Your street tires and pads are plenty for the first year of DE. The only thing I'd do is have the alignment done for as much negative camber up front as is possible (probably in the -0.8 to -1 degree range). I'd go to your local reputable Porsche tuner / race shop who will know what to do. So for about $200-250 you'll insure the tires won't shred and you'll have crisper turn-in.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ron's absolutely right. Tires and brakes aren't a concern until you start getting fast on the track.

What are you doing this weekend? There's DE event at H2R in San Marcos this Saturday with spots still open in the green run group. Equiraptor and I will both be there. You should come!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

A friend of mine supercharged his 9974S shortly after he got it. A big mistake. He felt that he THOUGHT he needed more power. (Turbos were not available then yet). Today, that s/c has been taken off the car and it has been restored to stock. He truly loves the car in stock form--playing with modifying the car was an expensive lesson.

Spend your money on tires and such from track time.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is were the fun is, on the track. It will take you a while to improve your driving skills and get to know the car. If you get bitten by the track bug you might trade up to a GT3, a different level of a Porsche that will require no mods except in training the monkey driving it. Enjoy the car as it is.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
That you, Pepper? The same one traipsing around the **** and flaunting your PCar?

You're probably as much at fault for my purchase as anyone.

Envy is a b----

And small world.
YEP!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
A friend of mine supercharged his 9974S shortly after he got it. A big mistake. He felt that he THOUGHT he needed more power. (Turbos were not available then yet). Today, that s/c has been taken off the car and it has been restored to stock. He truly loves the car in stock form--playing with modifying the car was an expensive lesson.

Not to flame too much about all this let me guess - he got *** tight to pay for extra gas?

What other reason may be to buy a sport car and wish for less power? Just curious.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so if I wanted to add Bluetooth, IPOD, Sat radio and IPod connectivity to the factory PCM, where in Houston would you take it to do the install?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Blah blah blah.... MOD

Don't listen to the jargon about staying stock and solely learning to drive your car. (mod + learn) Anyone that thinks their car (especially a base c2) came PERFECT from the factory is borderline delusional. The car was made to please the masses not each particular owners varying desires for what they want in their car.... make it yours, make it unique, make it unlike every other stock car sitting on the lot, perfect its weaknesses as you see them. A stock c2s rolling on 18's with amber turn signals, no bose, a nav that’s terrible, fugly exhaust tips sporting a 3' wheel 4x4 gap needs help on many levels...... (I own a c2) from appearance, to handling, to exhaust tone, to electronics and to some wanting more power yes maybe more HP.....

What if someone asked about how to improve one's driving skills got bombarded by those with a passion to MOD to Mod first and only mod?????????? Bashing any thought of taking a driving course? This is exactly what some of you do....its rhetoric....

Give it up.... if someone asks about mods lets answer the question.....if your going to push your purist views follow up with at least one creative on target response to the OP.... hell, tell them how you splurged and added a new set of valve caps....

In closing I value learning how to drive ones car, have done my share of DE's, track days, 1/4 tracks years back and so forth...but will always love to mod, make a great car greater and to my liking....now waiting a few months to experience ownership and feel out what you should start modding, that’s sincere advice...but to bash modding, absurd...

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-23-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Don't listen to the jargon about staying stock and learning to drive your car first. Anyone that thinks their car (especially a base c2) came PERFECT from the factory is borderline delusional. The car was made to please the masses not each particular owners varying desires for what they want in their car.... make it yours, make it unique, make it unlike every other stock car sitting on the lot, perfect its weaknesses as you see them. A stock c2s rolling on 18's with amber turn signals, no bose, a nav thats terrible, fugly exhaust tips sporting a 3' wheel 4x4 gap needs help on many levels...... (I own a c2) from appearance, to handling, to exhaust tone, to electronics and to some wanting more power yes maybe more HP.....

What if someone asked about how to improve one's driving skills got bombarded by those with a passion to MOD to Mod first?????????? Bashing any thought of taking a driving course? This is exactly what some of you do....its rhetoric....

Give it up.... if someone asks about mods lets answer the question.....if your going to push your purist views follow up with at least one creative on target response to the OP.... hell, tell them how you splurged and added a new set of valve caps....

In closing I value learning how to drive ones car, have done my share of DE's, track days, 1/4 tracks years back and so forth...but will always love to mod, make a great car greater and to my liking....
No offense, buy a Mustang, those are great cars to modify and add that personal touch. Want a 911, buy the appropriate trim. Heck, get a GT3, you don't have to mod anything, problem solved. Or do what some clueless people end up doing, buy a base 911 and make it look like a GT3 or better a GT2. Now you are talking, you'll be the talk of the town, especially when you show up at your local PCA DE event and people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what you are really driving, so that you can be placed in the appropriate time trial class.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default blah blah blah

Ummm he didn't buy a Mustang he bought a Porsche lets stay relevant to the OP.

Go buy a gt3? heck go buy a new f430....or a bugatti/Veyron? why not? Thats what your suggesting right? That all and any buyer can buy any car to suit their liking. Your suggestions to a guy that just picked up a used c2 to go by a new GT3 is pretty lame advice. He has a great car there.... but also some great areas to improve possibly with some mods...

Yup that is the first guy I would go talk with, bet that owner would know more about cars (on average) and would be more interesting to chat with then the guy that checked off a bunch of option boxes when they made their order NOT having a CLUE about what their driving....lots of those out ther. Bet you know a few!

Originally Posted by russo
No offense, buy a Mustang, those are great cars to modify and add that personal touch. Want a 911, buy the appropriate trim. Heck, get a GT3, you don't have to mod anything, problem solved. Or do what some clueless people end up doing, buy a base 911 and make it look like a GT3 or better a GT2. Now you are talking, you'll be the talk of the town, especially when you show up at your local PCA DE event and people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what you are really driving, so that you can be placed in the appropriate time trial class.

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:26 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

A pre-owned low mile 2007 997GT3 selling in the neighborhood of 80-90K, a lot less than getting into performance mods in base 997. A pre-owned F430, double that and then some. Staying relevant to the topic, getting into costly performance modifications is a money pit if you are looking for real performance gains, blah, blah, blah.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Not really.....

used 05 c2 - 45K ish
used 07 gt3 - 85K ish

delta from the c2 to the gt3 is= 40K ish

Mods...Gt3 nose, used exhaust/headers, short shift kit, coil overs, clear turn signals, = 8500 total cost if you shop it right...53.5K with a break down of 8500 for mods + 45K for car = 53.5 and car will look MUCH better, handle better, sound better.... why so bad?

(Sorry but your first comment is way off that 90K is as much as a modded c2......)

used 06 ferrari f430 is 125K ish (yup that low these days...)

delta from the GT3 to the f430 = 40K

to a 997 gt2 165K ish.... another 40K hop.... never ends....

No doubt a gt3, gt2, turbo needs much less to near NO mods, they came from the factory very well equipped and look great. If a stock c2 looked as nice there would be no need to mod asthetically....and if a gt3 looked like a stock C2 trust me not many would be selling thats a fact.......Overall the c2 is a great car but we all know it has areas it could be better. Perfect in every way from the factory comment is laughable.... sorry...... Please tell me you agree? Example - A bit floaty and a nice set of coil overs is doesn't hurt in performance/handling gains for example and helps rid the massive wheel gap as a bonus.

That said, some people want to track there cars but just can't afford a higher model car and also find some fun tuning and adding to their cars. Or they want a blend of nice daily driver + have a car that can do OK on the track... no extreme on either side so a gt3 would really be to much and maybe a stock c2 not enough....Others just recognize that a gt2, gt3, Turbo car etc looks so much better then a stock C2 and it is OK to improve the looks of a car by modding as well. Not sure why people find shame in that? Badge swapping.... thats a no no and a whole nother topic, no need to debate, just wrong.

When I organize a rally, car meet, attend a cars and coffee, do a track day etc etc.... I enjoy meeting people, talking cars, finding out what they liked and did not like about their cars, cars they have owned in the past, what they modded or felt was great to keep stock. If a track junkie I meet I want to hear the war stories, whats their favorite track, as well and pick their brain for knowledge regards to driving....I don't pass judgement. I will talk to the guy with the tuned STI or s2k as well as the guy with the SLR or F vintage F car.... I enjoy cars....bottom line. And when my gt3rs comes in, (offer pending, if doesn't fly will be another) I will continue to have that attitude and not frown upon the owner that had a passion for cars and went the mod path because that just fit their goals, budget, taste and passion.

Everyone is different I guess....

Originally Posted by russo
A pre-owned low mile 2007 997GT3 selling in the neighborhood of 80-90K, a lot less than getting into performance mods in base 997. A pre-owned F430, double that and then some. Staying relevant to the topic, getting into costly performance modifications is a money pit if you are looking for real performance gains, blah, blah, blah.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
Wow, can't believe I waited this long. I can't stop smiling getting in/out of the car.

I just purchased a certified '07 C2 coupe tip (wife made me, so she can drive my inebriated butt home on date nights) and would like some recommendations on value-add mods that won't void my warranty.

As its a 'base' Carrera, I was hoping there were chipsets, etc that could give me some more "punch" (like I need it, but hey, I can - right?)

All I have done in the week I have owned it is buy Euro-clear side turn signal indicators to replace the only orange on my baby.

I was also thinking about replacing the PCM interface with an aftermarket Pioneer setup (GPS, NAV, Bluetooth, Backup Cam, etc), as mine is bare bones and I miss handsfree calling.

Any and all advice is welcome (including whether or not you think I am de-valuing the car with the Pioneer system swap out).

Thanks and VERY HAPPY YO BE HERE!!!!
Welcome!

First thing that I would do and actually did myself, is get the PSE. The PSE is all about the sound and it is oh so worth it!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM
texas911
Race Car

A good first mod is the clear turn signal lights. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: I've joined the Porsche club....now I need mod advice