Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I agree, but WHY wouldn't they?

It's not like they stepped up or did something extraordinary for a customer... he's got a CPO car, and this is catastrophic mechanical failure that should be covered under Power Train even if the car wasn't CPOed.
Porsche would not automatically cover this under his original factory warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles because 1) he has 55K miles on the car and 2) his car has probably been "in service" for more thatn 4 years. In this case, Porsche could chose to "good will" the replacement, but they certainly would not be obligated to do so under the original warranty.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Alex,

I was only going by what the owner (paul) stated on page 1 of this thread informing all of us that his car was a CPO and that Porsche was NOT covering it. I also had no idea why they wouldn't cover this engine failure and I'm glad in the end it all worked out for him and it's covered. Again I do not know all the details just what is posted in this thread. I do agree that since it is a CPO Porsche should cover this.
I know... was just saying it would have been more surprising if they didn't. If I was the OP, I'd be pretty pissed off my 100K+ car engine failed in such a manner, and the least the car manufacturer can do is to replace it free, specially if I had extended warranty.

I am also glad this is all sorted out, makes me breath a bit easier I went for a CPO car!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

And a huge sigh of relief was heard across the entire RL community
Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching the National Geographic station. The show Ultimate Factories is showing the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. They are showing the assembly of the engines and I notice that the block doesn't have a water chamber all the way around the cylinder like mine did. I'm guessing that was the fix to resolve the d-chunk problem.

I wonder what I'm getting as a replacement?

Paul
Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
I'm watching the National Geographic station. The show Ultimate Factories is showing the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. They are showing the assembly of the engines and I notice that the block doesn't have a water chamber all the way around the cylinder like mine did. I'm guessing that was the fix to resolve the d-chunk problem.

Paul
Thanks for the heads up. I just turned it on.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
In this case, Porsche could chose to "good will" the replacement, but they certainly would not be obligated to do so under the original warranty.
This is a CPO car though. Isn't that what's been confusing here? Assuming there's no documented abuse involved, if you have to beg, plead and fight to have two cracked cylinders covered on a CPO'ed car, what good is the policy? My guess is that most people pay for CPO or other extended warranties precisely with big ticket failures like this in mind.

Am I the only one curious to know why they even brought up the possibility of NOT covering this?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, I understand it is a CPO car, but I was responding to Alexb76 statement..... "this is catastrophic mechanical failure that should be covered under Power Train even if the car wasn't CPOed."

I, too, am curious why the the possability of this NOT being covered under CPO even came up.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Yes, I understand it is a CPO car, but I was responding to Alexb76 statement..... "this is catastrophic mechanical failure that should be covered under Power Train even if the car wasn't CPOed."

I, too, am curious why the the possability if this NOT being covered under CPO even came up.
There's a lot going on most I'm not going to post here. Let's just say I have some history with the dealer...

I had the car taken to the dealer a few hours before heading to China. The initial feedback was I had some over rev's and I was buying an engine. I remember one two years ago when I first got the car. As for the others my son has some explaining to do.

I had feared that the problem was caused by freezing. I doubt that the CPO would cover that. When I got back in town I went by the dealership and they were saying it was blown head gaskets. They also said it passed a leakdown test. That didn't make sense. While I was there they were pulling the plugs and two cylinders were full of water.

They never said it wouldn't be covered but they did tell me what the cost of a new engine was. The indication that it wasn't covered was conveyed from someone who wasn't in a position to give an official verdict.

I went back to the dealership the day they had found the cracks. There was talk that the cost of a new engine went down and they told me about the 20% off parts and got me registered. They did say they would need a 5K deposit to get started but still no official verdict.

That afternoon I heard a rumor that it may be covered. That's when I posted the original note. Yesterday I got the first official word that I should use the 20% certificate to buy a hat because I wouldn't need it to buy an engine.

So the dealer never said that it wasn't covered but they prepared me for what the cost would be. I'd rather they do that then lead me believe that it was covered and then hand me a 20K bill.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
rvklein
Racer

Isn't the x51 crate motor cheaper than the standard 3.8?

How do you get an over rev without a missed down shift?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Again, Congrats I am happy they covered it, but in your post #7 you said it was not covered and that is probably what got me and many others wondering about the true worth of CPO.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You can get an over rev when accelerating and shifting at, or past, the red line. Even after they rev limiter has kicked in and cuts the fuel feed to the engine, the engine has built enough momentum that it will continue to increase in RPMs until that momentium stops. It is possible to get revs in rev Ranges 1, 2, and even 3, in this situation.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM
rvklein
Racer

Ah... I've definately done that
Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
They both can blow up without warning?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Haha!!1!

Nice.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin

Paul
You're getting an M97 motor, a direct replacement for yours, probably reman. It will incorporate the single-race improved IMS bearing and whatever other up-to-date fixes they've made on these engines.

Yours is an open-deck motor. The 9A1 motor (DFI engine in the 09+ 997) is a closed-deck design, which has some advantages in durability at the cost of weight and added machine work to achieve the proper tolerances. There's a great Porsche technical doc available over on Renntech in the Contributing Members forum that illustrates the differences and rationale for the change, well worth the price of donation.

Congratulations on your replacement! As a CPO 997 owenr I know I'm breathing a little easier.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

I, too, am curious why the the possability of this NOT being covered under CPO even came up.
Sorry Tim....missed the context.

Quick Reply: Cracked block on a 05 C2S.