Sponsored by:

Best Bluetooth option on 997.1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Got it! Makes sense now. So, with the trunk install, the unit is a bit farther away which may result in poorer bluetooth connectivity.

On the mic install, was it easier/harder to mount on top of steering wheel column vs, where you have it?
I am not sure you can easily mount it on steering wheel but you can try. Only trick is how to get it there without taking half of the car apart.

May be if you mount unit behind glove box you can do wiring behind PCM and sneak it into steering column. you can try.

My wires came into car from rubber seal which is between steering rod and clutch pedal so it was easier to trace it up to the left side and then follow cabin/door trim all the way up to the left column and into that spot where I have it.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I am not sure you can easily mount it on steering wheel but you can try. Only trick is how to get it there without taking half of the car apart.

May be if you mount unit behind glove box you can do wiring behind PCM and sneak it into steering column. you can try.

My wires came into car from rubber seal which is between steering rod and clutch pedal so it was easier to trace it up to the left side and then follow cabin/door trim all the way up to the left column and into that spot where I have it.
Hmm, I just talked to a mObridge installer and he said they always install behind PCM, and run the microphone to the left of the rear-view mirror for best voice reception.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I just talked to a mObridge installer and he said they always install behind PCM, and run the microphone to the left of the rear-view mirror for best voice reception.
Yes, it is a good location. My V1 radar lives there, so mic would get too much interference there.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whichever one you get cheaper is good.
mobridge does both ipod and bluetooth in one box so if you get it for somewhat about $500 - it`s a good deal. check ebay regularly - they pop up there from time to time.

location of microphone is a pain - any unit requires its own so you will have to wire it to where you want it to be. Mine is in left upper corner as wire comes from a trunk area and I simply tucked it under left column trim.

It's off topic but I have to ask:

Utkinpol, what kind of multi-functional wheel is that? I've never seen it before, its so thick and sculpted, I absolutely love it!

Tnx and again, I apologize to all of you guys for going off topic.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iggy
It's off topic but I have to ask:

Utkinpol, what kind of multi-functional wheel is that? I've never seen it before, its so thick and sculpted, I absolutely love it!

Tnx and again, I apologize to all of you guys for going off topic.
I got it used from other forum member, I was told it was made by those guys:
http://www.robson-design.com/index.htm

I like it too.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Iggy
Intermediate

I got it used from other forum member, I was told it was made by those guys:
http://www.robson-design.com/index.htm

I like it too.
Great, tnx a lot!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I was just told by a dealer that Dension bluetooth quality is very subpar compared to other brands (while he praised their iPod). He said their customers complain a lot about echo and noise and most have returned them, said the callers could always hear themselves through the microphone.

Anyone have had the same exerience? Dension is the best cost alternative, but I rather have a functional handsfree than a cheaper non-functional.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM
pt767
Instructor

I had the dension installed in my car. The ipod integration is excellent. I haven't had any luck w' the b'tooth mainly because my Samsung Sprint phone isn't compatible w' the system. I realized this after this the install. The installer had a Motorola Razr phone & it worked like a champ. Downloaded the phone book in lickity split. He made some calls from the car & it worked fantastic. Dension lists the phones on their website that are compatible & my phone wasn't on the list. I really don't want to get a new phone but may have to bite the bullet & do it. I really like my "stupid"phone & am not too excited about getting a "smart" phone. I'd buy a used Razr but can't read the screen!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I was just told by a dealer that Dension bluetooth quality is very subpar compared to other brands (while he praised their iPod). He said their customers complain a lot about echo and noise and most have returned them, said the callers could always hear themselves through the microphone.

Anyone have had the same exerience? Dension is the best cost alternative, but I rather have a functional handsfree than a cheaper non-functional.
never had echo or heard myself through the microphone. mobridge works quite well, I have no complaints.
only isue I had with it was its occasional restarts which i still cannot figure out - it just 'reboots' by itself from time to time. may be it is my unit`s fault or battery voltage level gets lower than it should be.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

never had echo or heard myself through the microphone. mobridge works quite well, I have no complaints.
only isue I had with it was its occasional restarts which i still cannot figure out - it just 'reboots' by itself from time to time. may be it is my unit`s fault or battery voltage level gets lower than it should be.
Does it reboot mid-call? or just when you're trying to sync? How does it reboot itself?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Does it reboot mid-call? or just when you're trying to sync? How does it reboot itself?
well, looks like my mobridge just looses connection to optical ring and then re-establishes it.

it does not happen often and there is no pattern on how it happens. some days it does not happen at all. weird stuff but does not bother me much as most usually it happens while it plays my ipod - music just interrupts, then continues at same spot. same with call - you loose audio then it returns. i was concerned if it could be a PCM glitch but i ruled that out after some tests. may be i should ship my unit to mobridge for check-up but frankly i am not very concerned over this mischief.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:01 PM
greddekopp
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Options are Tooki and Dension. Do a search, a lot of discussions. I got my own questions too, and I am searching. Tooki seems to have more options, but more money.
I put an Isimple into my 2006 911. Easy to install and works great. I did try to put in a Dension (twice) but to be honest that was a horrible experience. They are not a customer friendly company to deal with and every thing that goes wrong with the unit and dealings with them will be your fault.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by greddekopp
I put an Isimple into my 2006 911. Easy to install and works great. I did try to put in a Dension (twice) but to be honest that was a horrible experience. They are not a customer friendly company to deal with and every thing that goes wrong with the unit and dealings with them will be your fault.
iSimple TranzitBlu HF is a great good quality solution! good sound quality, and full song names + phone calls displayed. another great new solution (if you want to avoid the direct hard line analog audio connection of the iSimple) that utilized the digital fibreOptic Most connection is laPowerBlutooth
Old 06-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Transitblu HF. It's less than $100 and works great.

Quick Reply: Best Bluetooth option on 997.1 ?