Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bluetooth option on 997.1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Bluetooth option on 997.1 ?

Hello Guys and please help me out with the following.

I have a 2007 911 Targa 4S. It has the PCM Navigation and the 6 disc changer. What is the best way to get the Bluetooth installed, and how intensive is it?
How can you get number recognition on the screen, and are the microphones on the steering wheel active when installing you mentioned solution ?
Any local stores in South Florida that you recommend ?
Thank you
Eric
Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Options are Tooki and Dension. Do a search, a lot of discussions. I got my own questions too, and I am searching. Tooki seems to have more options, but more money.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I really have learned to like the Tooki. Check for my tutorial on how to install it yourself if you have reasonable skills with about 4 tools.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I really have learned to like the Tooki. Check for my tutorial on how to install it yourself if you have reasonable skills with about 4 tools.
I did go through our instructions, great info!

I just couldn't understand how did you wire the microphone (no pics)? Like where is the wire coming out? Back of PCM? Centre console?

Also, what made you choose Tooki over Dension or mObridge?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The microphone wire comes out the back of the Tooki blackbox and I simply routed it from the top of the trim piece on the left (near the accelerator pedal) and then up toward the steering wheel area. It was so simple I didn't spend a lot of time documenting it. Everyone should consider trying various locations for the microphone to find one that works best for their application. With a cabriolet, I had to get it down out of the airstream a bit more than the coupes.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Since I am in the same boat as OP, let me ask a few question here. Eric helped me a bit, but I am trying to find out the exact functiionlaities of each of the kits.

I appreciate if owner of each Tooki, Dension, and mObridge can clarify if their Bluetooth supports the following:
  1. Stereo auto mute + Phone ring through speakers when a call is received
  2. Answering calls with PCM phone button (directly - not through CD-player)
  3. Picking up the phone and dialing with the OEM PCM phone dial-pad
  4. Caller ID - showing the number of the callee
  5. Caller ID - showing the name of the callee (even if not entered in addressbook)
  6. Contact Sync/upload from Phone to PCM (100 entries)
  7. Speed Dial - dialing directly through phonebook
  8. Displaying SMS Messages
  9. Writing and sending SMS messages through PCM
  10. Displaying Missed Calls/Call history
  11. If using iPod adapter, ability to switch from iPod to phone when phone rings(just like from CD/Radio)
  12. Microphone Sound quality - clarity/echo
  13. Possibility of working with OEM Porsche Microphone
  14. Unit fits comfortably behind PCM
  15. Blackberry Bold/Curve Support

Naturally, I searched and couldn't answer the above questions. All of the websites I visited are very vague with limited info, so I think only owners can clarify the specifics. I think it'd be a great guide for everyone who may wanna install either of the kits.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Since I am in the same boat as OP, let me ask a few question here. Eric helped me a bit, but I am trying to find out the exact functiionlaities of each of the kits.

I appreciate if owner of each Tooki, Dension, and mObridge can clarify if their Bluetooth supports the following:
  1. Stereo auto mute + Phone ring through speakers when a call is received
  2. Answering calls with PCM phone button (directly - not through CD-player)
  3. Picking up the phone and dialing with the OEM PCM phone dial-pad
  4. Caller ID - showing the number of the callee
  5. Caller ID - showing the name of the callee (even if not entered in addressbook)
  6. Contact Sync/upload from Phone to PCM (100 entries)
  7. Speed Dial - dialing directly through phonebook
  8. Displaying SMS Messages
  9. Writing and sending SMS messages through PCM
  10. Displaying Missed Calls/Call history
  11. If using iPod adapter, ability to switch from iPod to phone when phone rings(just like from CD/Radio)
  12. Microphone Sound quality - clarity/echo
  13. Possibility of working with OEM Porsche Microphone
  14. Unit fits comfortably behind PCM
  15. Blackberry Bold/Curve Support

Naturally, I searched and couldn't answer the above questions. All of the websites I visited are very vague with limited info, so I think only owners can clarify the specifics. I think it'd be a great guide for everyone who may wanna install either of the kits.
I can only answer for the Tooki as that is what I put in my cab.
[*]Stereo auto mute + Phone ring through speakers when a call is received
AUTO MUTE--RINGS RIGHT SPEAKER(S)[*]Answering calls with PCM phone button (directly - not through CD-player)
ANSWER VIA PCM OR MULTIFUNCTION WHEEL[*]Picking up the phone and dialing with the OEM PCM phone dial-pad
BDON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION...CAN DIAL WITH THE PCM DIALPAD[*]Caller ID - showing the number of the callee
YES[*]Caller ID - showing the name of the callee (even if not entered in addressbook)
YES-I THINK SO (CAN'T BE POSITIVE)[*]Contact Sync/upload from Phone to PCM (100 entries)
YES--FAR MORE THAN 100.[*]Speed Dial - dialing directly through phonebook
ABSOLUTELY.[*]Displaying SMS Messages
DEPENDS UPON YOUR SERVICE. I DON'T HAVE THAT SERVICE--CAN'T GIVE OYU AN ANSWER.[*]Writing and sending SMS messages through PCM
DEPENDS UPON YOUR SERVICE. I DON'T HAVE THAT SERVICE--CAN'T GIVE OYU AN ANSWER.[*]Displaying Missed Calls/Call history
ABSOLUTELY[*]If using iPod adapter, ability to switch from iPod to phone when phone rings(just like from CD/Radio)
DON';T USE AN IPOD ADAPTER--N/A[*]Microphone Sound quality - clarity/echo
DEPENDS UPON THE NUMBER OF BARS YOU HAVE AND PLACEMENT OF THE MIKE.[*]Possibility of working with OEM Porsche Microphone
WILL NOT. [*]Unit fits comfortably behind PCM
CERTAINLY DOES--I PUT MINE IN MYSELF AND IF I NEED TO PULL THE BLACK BOX OUT FOR ANY REASON CAN DO IT IN 5 MINUTES.[*]Blackberry Bold/Curve Support
CAN'T SPEAK FOR THAT SYSTEM. I USE A SIMPLE RAZR.[/LIST]
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I did go through our instructions, great info!

I just couldn't understand how did you wire the microphone (no pics)? Like where is the wire coming out? Back of PCM? Centre console?

Also, what made you choose Tooki over Dension or mObridge?
whichever one you get cheaper is good.
mobridge does both ipod and bluetooth in one box so if you get it for somewhat about $500 - it`s a good deal. check ebay regularly - they pop up there from time to time.

location of microphone is a pain - any unit requires its own so you will have to wire it to where you want it to be. Mine is in left upper corner as wire comes from a trunk area and I simply tucked it under left column trim.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

If you decide on the Tooki, email me for a very special deal....

Dension is discounted on our site as well.

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a parrot installed in my car you can have for whatever it costs me to uninstall it I'll even pay shipping
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rvklein
I have a parrot installed in my car you can have for whatever it costs me to uninstall it I'll even pay shipping
Why? Can you be more specific? Is this the same as mObridge?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Can someone with Dension Bluetooth chime in here please?

I just talked to the Canadian reseller and they said they have discontinued Dension Bluetooth, due to customer complaints. Aparently sometimes the stereo will kick in the middle of a conversation at full blast which is not ideal at all!

@ Eric, was this an issue with Dension earlier models/firmwares?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
whichever one you get cheaper is good.
mobridge does both ipod and bluetooth in one box so if you get it for somewhat about $500 - it`s a good deal. check ebay regularly - they pop up there from time to time.

location of microphone is a pain - any unit requires its own so you will have to wire it to where you want it to be. Mine is in left upper corner as wire comes from a trunk area and I simply tucked it under left column trim.

Thanks. What unit do you have? I assume it's mObridge.

So, if installed in trunk, how did you connect it to PCM?

mObridge (in trunk) --> PCM --> Mic ?
or
PCM --> mObridge (in trunk) --> Mic?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. What unit do you have? I assume it's mObridge.

So, if installed in trunk, how did you connect it to PCM?

mObridge (in trunk) --> PCM --> Mic ?
or
PCM --> mObridge (in trunk) --> Mic?

Thanks
mobridge connects to the optical ring as any other unit and pretends to be cd-changer. that means also that you will need to disconnect cd changer completely i you have it. if you donot have it and never had - you are OK.
if you had it - you will need to code it off with PIWIS. how and where you put unit into optical ring does not matter, it is still same ring. any spot will do.

As I have navigation DVD in the trunk - mobridge connects to its optical input and power. it does not need any audio inputs and was very easy to install this way - it is actually glued to the DVD unit top surface. ipod lives next to it - it all fits quite nicely there. Only trick was to wire mic cable into cabin from trunk.

Only downside of this location is that good bluetooth reception with phone is only if phone rests on dashboard - see that blue/purple silicon thing on its center, where sport chrono could be? that is where I put my phone usually. or into glove box. if it is left on my belt - sometimes it looses bluetooth connection. so if you usually prefer to keep your phone in your pocket - mount your unit inside - behind the glovebox there is space to fit it.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
mobridge connects to the optical ring as any other unit and pretends to be cd-changer. that means also that you will need to disconnect cd changer completely i you have it. if you donot have it and never had - you are OK.
if you had it - you will need to code it off with PIWIS. how and where you put unit into optical ring does not matter, it is still same ring. any spot will do.

As I have navigation DVD in the trunk - mobridge connects to its optical input and power. it does not need any audio inputs and was very easy to install this way - it is actually glued to the DVD unit top surface. ipod lives next to it - it all fits quite nicely there. Only trick was to wire mic cable into cabin from trunk.

Only downside of this location is that good bluetooth reception with phone is only if phone rests on dashboard - see that blue/purple silicon thing on its center, where sport chrono could be? that is where I put my phone usually. or into glove box. if it is left on my belt - sometimes it looses bluetooth connection. so if you usually prefer to keep your phone in your pocket - mount your unit inside - behind the glovebox there is space to fit it.
Got it! Makes sense now. So, with the trunk install, the unit is a bit farther away which may result in poorer bluetooth connectivity.

On the mic install, was it easier/harder to mount on top of steering wheel column vs, where you have it?

Quick Reply: Best Bluetooth option on 997.1 ?