Sponsored by:

Unexpected things I found after all my research

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexpected things I found after all my research

I did a ton of research prior to buying my 2010 997.2 c2 6spd. However there were some things I didn’t learn until I actually got it.

1. Headunit does in fact connect to iPhone, and Spotify/Pandora/Etc all work great.

2. Sound quality is actually pretty damn good for a bose system. Need to make sure the linear button is pressed, otherwise it’s way off!

3. Trip computers are great. Unlike in my old bmw’s, there’s one that resets every time you drive, and another when you reset it manually. Great for seeing MPG on trips vs over an extended time period.

4. Cars actually a tad slower then I wanted. Opted for non s to save money and spend on good suspension bits and whatnot. Also wanted better MPG. Figured if I thought an mx5 had ample power a 3.6 would be fine, and it would be close in power to my old e90 m. Unfortunately the power leaves me wanting a bit more.

5.Theres way more space then I realized.

6. RWD/ Rear Engine, turn in is even better then I expected. Yes still in stock form way too much understeer, but that can be fixed, and I was well aware of that before.

7. My car didn’t come w autodimming mirrors ugh, a 90k car and no autodimming mirrors wtf!

8. Horn is embarrassing lol!

9. Lock/unlock is weird (granted I need to read manual) so far no idea why and when it beeps vs lights stay on/go off...

Old 06-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude - I am there too. More questions than answers.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Afaik it only beeps when there is something wrong....glove box open etc......just the double light blink for lock ,single for unlock

Last edited by docdrs; 06-12-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Afaik
Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Asaik it only beeps when there is something wrong....glove box open etc......just the double light blink for lock ,single for unlock
Exactly, I've only heard mine honk at me if something was still open. Hood open, glovebox, girlfriend taking forever to get out of the car, etc.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 AM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
Exactly, I've only heard mine honk at me if something was still open. Hood open, glovebox, girlfriend taking forever to get out of the car, etc.
kind of annoying that you can’t customize this. Most cars even my 2005 suburban allow you to set what happens when you lock/unlock. Maybe they realized the horn was so awful it should be used to notify driver when they lock/unlock.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't think there's all that much power difference between an S snd NonS. Maybe on paper but I can tell you that on the track it's not enough power to pull on a straight and pass. These cars are quick and handle well. Brute power has never been their forté.

I have Auto dimming mirrors but never have them enabled because my windows are tinted. It's just too much darkness.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I did a ton of research prior to buying my 2010 997.2 c2 6spd. However there were some things I didn’t learn until I actually got it.

1. Headunit does in fact connect to iPhone, and Spotify/Pandora/Etc all work great.
Are you talking wired connection or BT? I didn't think the OEM BT allowed music streaming.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice post.

As far as the wanting for power goes... these cars aren't about absolute power. You don't really get to see how scarily fast it is until you take it to the appropriate environment.. on track for example. It's a momentum car, much like the MX-5 you mentioned (get it on boil and use the brakes judiciously, connect the corners without losing momentum, just keep that power up and she'll look after the rest, ). Some might disagree but there are a number of similarities I've found between the two cars. But on the street, a 997.2 is not an especially quick car by todays standards (another MX-5 similarity)

One thing I feel can't be overstated, look for ways to trim weight. Starting with the wheels is a great place. You'll get gains in every department by going with lighter wheels, even fuel mileage.

Car and Driver managed to shave 3/10ths of a second off their 0-60 and 2.2mpg on a Golf just by trying a few different wheel/tire combinations. Seems like a pretty big difference and over a long enough period of time the savings in fuel mileage will pay for the wheels.
Those 3/10ths difference is greater than the difference between a 997.2 C2 and 997.2 C2S for 0-60. http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/s08dtcb1lzv6

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-tires-tested
Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman

2. Sound quality is actually pretty damn good for a bose system. Need to make sure the linear button is pressed, otherwise it’s way off!

3. Trip computers are great. Unlike in my old bmw’s, there’s one that resets every time you drive, and another when you reset it manually. Great for seeing MPG on trips vs over an extended time period.

4. Cars actually a tad slower then I wanted. Opted for non s to save money and spend on good suspension bits and whatnot. Also wanted better MPG. Figured if I thought an mx5 had ample power a 3.6 would be fine, and it would be close in power to my old e90 m. Unfortunately the power leaves me wanting a bit more.

5.Theres way more space then I realized.

6. RWD/ Rear Engine, turn in is even better then I expected. Yes still in stock form way too much understeer, but that can be fixed, and I was well aware of that before.

7. My car didn’t come w autodimming mirrors ugh, a 90k car and no autodimming mirrors wtf!

8. Horn is embarrassing lol!

9. Lock/unlock is weird (granted I need to read manual) so far no idea why and when it beeps vs lights stay on/go off...

Regarding number 8, it is highly likely that your low tone horn is not working. It is a common problem with the 997.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 PM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest gripe in purchasing a 997 was the lack of auto headlights. I mean come on, a 1997 Toyota Avalon has auto headlights for christ sake.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:26 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Are you talking wired connection or BT? I didn't think the OEM BT allowed music streaming.
Not BT - Direct plugging in. I have the y adapter to old ipod cable, which I convert to a lightning. Works great! Not sure why anyone would want to stream over BT. Direct connection is always better!

Originally Posted by Fined
Nice post.

As far as the wanting for power goes... these cars aren't about absolute power. You don't really get to see how scarily fast it is until you take it to the appropriate environment.. on track for example. It's a momentum car, much like the MX-5 you mentioned (get it on boil and use the brakes judiciously, connect the corners without losing momentum, just keep that power up and she'll look after the rest, ). Some might disagree but there are a number of similarities I've found between the two cars. But on the street, a 997.2 is not an especially quick car by todays standards (another MX-5 similarity)

One thing I feel can't be overstated, look for ways to trim weight. Starting with the wheels is a great place. You'll get gains in every department by going with lighter wheels, even fuel mileage.

Car and Driver managed to shave 3/10ths of a second off their 0-60 and 2.2mpg on a Golf just by trying a few different wheel/tire combinations. Seems like a pretty big difference and over a long enough period of time the savings in fuel mileage will pay for the wheels.
Those 3/10ths difference is greater than the difference between a 997.2 C2 and 997.2 C2S for 0-60. http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/s08dtcb1lzv6

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-tires-tested
I race an S2000, it was once a supercharged one racing ST-2 in NASA, it's WAY better NA with 200less WHP! Trust me, I'm the last guy who would complain about power, I was just really surprised with highway on ramp acceleration. I'd much rather go spend $10K on a set of penskes and good tires on 18's then a turbo or some power adders .

Great feedback on the wheels! I am looking to actually replace mine, hadn't thought about those points!

Originally Posted by ATSR
Regarding number 8, it is highly likely that your low tone horn is not working. It is a common problem with the 997.
Thanks, will look into horn issue.

Originally Posted by geeky
My biggest gripe in purchasing a 997 was the lack of auto headlights. I mean come on, a 1997 Toyota Avalon has auto headlights for christ sake.
YES, totally forgot about the lights, seriously WTH lol. Although I do kind of like the "old school" having to turn on my lights.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:29 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by geeky
Get an autonomous car, softy!
Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

I will +1 on the embarrassing horn problem... If it sounds like a horn being squeezed by a clown... well, that might be true... JUST KIDDING...

Seriously, if it sounds high pitched... then I will agree with previous comment about 2 horns in the bumper left and right side. A HIGH and LOW pitch. The LOW pitch horns tend to go first and are a common maintenance issue after a few years. Especially in wet climates... The remaining High pitch horn is extremely emasculating, ineffective and embarrassing.... Especially in a fancy restaurant parking lot, with lots of people around, when some nut is about to pull out and hit your car without looking in their rear view mirror and you smash that horn....Beeeep! Ask me how I know

I will +100 about light weight wheels someone mentioned. I recently replaced my Carrera Sport wheels ( beautiful, but the heaviest design Porsche makes) with OZ light weight wheels. Basically avg 5 lbs lighter each wheel. 20 lbs less rotational mass all around! You definitely feel it. Not like 30 hp difference, but a nice noticeable difference in initial acceleration and braking. Also, what really surprised me was my improved fuel economy. On a 25 mile each way commute to work I use to average 19-20 mpg. After the the light weight wheels and new Michelin Sport 4S Tires... 23-24 mpg has been my average ever since. That really impressed me too and something I did not expect!

One last thing in ways to reduce weight... Do you use your back seats with passengers a lot? I never do, so I did remove the back seat backrests and hardware as well and back floor mats. About another 25-30 lbs. It's very small things, but when combined 20 lbs hear and there and suddenly you can be 40-60 lbs lighter doing very simple things. Not going to make a huge difference like getting a supercharger, but you have done racing. You know it's the little things working together that make a nice difference
Old 06-12-2018, 09:31 PM
josserman
Instructor

Yes yes this is very emasculating lol, guess I have my lower toned horn out.

Yea weight savings is always fun, I’m planning to buy the new apex wheels when they come out, have 18 lobster wheels now. Can’t get rid of rear seats, my son and dog rides in the car multiple times a week, but will drop some weight from center pipe when I go that route.

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I will +1 on the embarrassing horn problem... If it sounds like a horn being squeezed by a clown... well, that might be true... JUST KIDDING...

Seriously, if it sounds high pitched... then I will agree with previous comment about 2 horns in the bumper left and right side. A HIGH and LOW pitch. The LOW pitch horns tend to go first and are a common maintenance issue after a few years. Especially in wet climates... The remaining High pitch horn is extremely emasculating, ineffective and embarrassing.... Especially in a fancy restaurant parking lot, with lots of people around, when some nut is about to pull out and hit your car without looking in their rear view mirror and you smash that horn....Beeeep! Ask me how I know

I will +100 about light weight wheels someone mentioned. I recently replaced my Carrera Sport wheels ( beautiful, but the heaviest design Porsche makes) with OZ light weight wheels. Basically avg 5 lbs lighter each wheel. 20 lbs less rotational mass all around! You definitely feel it. Not like 30 hp difference, but a nice noticeable difference in initial acceleration and braking. Also, what really surprised me was my improved fuel economy. On a 25 mile each way commute to work I use to average 19-20 mpg. After the the light weight wheels and new Michelin Sport 4S Tires... 23-24 mpg has been my average ever since. That really impressed me too and something I did not expect!

One last thing in ways to reduce weight... Do you use your back seats with passengers a lot? I never do, so I did remove the back seat backrests and hardware as well and back floor mats. About another 25-30 lbs. It's very small things, but when combined 20 lbs hear and there and suddenly you can be 40-60 lbs lighter doing very simple things. Not going to make a huge difference like getting a supercharger, but you have done racing. You know it's the little things working together that make a nice difference
Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn

+1.. did the rear seat delete as well as all the hardware and some of the back carpets. I pulled the subwoofer and its shelf as well. The subwoofer and shelf adds another 15lbs or so (completely guessing here, it's heavy though).. I'd say I pulled out 50lbs from the back including all that. Definitely agree the small stuff can add up. I wish I'd gotten my car on the scales stock.. but I'll be interested to see where sits when I finally do get it on there. For me the car isn't any less useable so it's a win-win.

Quick Reply: Unexpected things I found after all my research