Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would want this PCM feature: 'screen off'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I see, thanks for the correction!

In that case, I'd like to request for my S:
* 4 heater seat heater settings like my BMW
* Mirrors that tilt on backing like my BMW
* Heated steering wheel like my BMW
* A keyles entry/push to start system like my wife's Infiniti
* Voice activated NAV ...

Oh wait, maybe I should just buy an M3/m5??

In all seriousness, there are little features I wish the car had, but they are all very very insignificant relative to the perfomance ones. And, it those are significant, I'd spend my money with a different auto company!

The list has to stop somewhere, I think Porsche picks the right options to offer (touch screen NAV) to focus mainly on the driving experience where they are differentiated.
As pointed out, the idea is to turn off the screen while NOT turning of the PCM3 unit so that music keeps playing, navigation stays active (I can still hear the voice commands and see the computer display below the tach).

Actually, most of the options you list are available on the 997.2
Heated seats (the back is not really 2 seats so those don't count), heated steering, the passenger side mirror pivots in reverse (if selected), voice activated nav. Only the push button start vs key ignition is not available. The advantage of the mechanical key ignition is we can always turn the key to cut power to the engine (look ma, the engine is off).

The feature is in there from Porsche. Its just buried down 5 key presses into the PCM system... not an 'activate as you drive' solution. Form what I hear, it was a hard button on the PCM2 and Porsche took it away for the PCM3. My suggestion was to use the software in the PCM to add it back in using an existing button (double clicking the volume **** which currently only would mute-unmute the audio in rapid succession).

Just because its a performance car doesn't mean Porsche gets a pass on the easy stuff. I'd not accept fit and finish issues that had no performance impact either. The issue here is a really simple and free feature the developers on the PCM3 made a mistake about (I think).
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geez, I just tried it on my PCM3 and it is simple to do

With out even checking the owners manual I have been able to easily figure out how to have a dark screen on my PCM in my 09 C2S. I pushed the "info" button and then the "option" button and selected "set PCM" then selected "display" then "screen" then selected "switch off display " and then "confirm". Really wasn't too cumbersome, took all of a few seconds and once activated the screen is dark. The radio works and the volume button works and if you want to change to phone or map or whatever you need, hit the appropriate button, the "switch off display" screen comes back, and you hit the desired button again to select (phone) and the selected screen comes back on. However, after you are done with whatever you need,it is super easy yo get it dark again, just hitting "info" again brings up the last "switch off display" screen which requires one push to 'turn off display' and another to "confirm". EASY, I tried it all the way home tonight and used lots of different functions on the PCM and easily got the screen dark again. TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT! hahaha

Last edited by Todd in PA; 03-16-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an on off switch.
Image airplanes being this software driven, man you be in a lot of trouble. Gear down ... let me get on Menu / page / Item, and now or when ??? OOPS.
Don't you just want to keep it simple, Porsche ?

Quick Reply: Who would want this PCM feature: 'screen off'?