Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would want this PCM feature: 'screen off'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I had to order my wheel and have them install it - maybe you can do the same - I've seen posts about doing this. Of course, that's a lot of coin if all you are looking for is a dark screen...

What it comes down to is that these cars are missing many little conveniences - or charge more for them and require sometimes a special order - than a typical car these days. Somewhere between purist 911 and beverly hills cruiser. I think my car - any car - should have auto dim mirrors - for heavens sake, but whatever...I still love this car - little nits and all.
These are sports cars. They already have too many doodads. no place for Bose, dimming mirrors, Nav and other useless stuff in a sports car.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I think my car - any car - should have auto dim mirrors - for heavens sake, but whatever...I still love this car - little nits and all.
I agree. Yes, these are sports cars but cars in general have evolved to where you expect certain features, like autodimming, that you find as standard on much lesser cars.

I also find it very annoying that when a car is ordered without these features that the wiring isn't there for someone to retrofit. Hard to imagine how so many specific wiring harnesses is more cost effective than a standard harness for all.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jastx
I agree. Yes, these are sports cars but cars in general have evolved to where you expect certain features, like autodimming, that you find as standard on much lesser cars.

I also find it very annoying that when a car is ordered without these features that the wiring isn't there for someone to retrofit. Hard to imagine how so many specific wiring harnesses is more cost effective than a standard harness for all.
The cars have not evolved... These doodads are there because many of these cars are used for show and not for their intended purpose.

Auto dimming mirrors should be a choice. I do not want them in any car, sports cars or other.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Doodads that are useless or not.. it seems like a design error to offer a PCM display without a display blank/off button... it certainly used to be there (from what the PCM2 folks tell us)... and I can get to it by digging down into the menu system.. something done before driving off obviously.

Unfortunately, we cannot install an aftermarket button to blank/off the screen, since its all software controlled.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The cars have not evolved... These doodads are there because many of these cars are used for show and not for their intended purpose.

Auto dimming mirrors should be a choice. I do not want them in any car, sports cars or other.
You can turn them off if you don't want to use them.

It just makes the appeal of the car unnecessarily awkward and restricted - I'm more or less over it - just one example. Maybe it is all a plot to help us keep the wives out of the cars?

I know it makes it more a purist car, but at the end of the day, it becomes too much like religion to me and not much like practicality. And seriously, as many have pointed out in the past; you get a car with ABS, PSM, PDK, TPMS, PASM, electric windows, and on and on and on...is it really a purist car anymore at that point? No, that ship has so sailed and pooping on something as mundane and common place as auto-dim mirrors is like a final gasp for air from suffocation in a modern 911.

We're all heretics to some degree if we're being honest - there's no purity or real purists except those with dedicated track/race cars - and that's not what we're talking about here with the consumer grade 911.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Steve: Besides the better viewing control a wedge mirror provides me, I've seen the mess the leaking gel from a dimming mirror makes. Not pretty and the colateral damage can be significant.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You can turn them off if you don't want to use them.
Then why must I be burdened with the extra complexity and weight? I don't even use the prism dimmer lever because it interferes with my view behind. I only flip it when some moron is driving an SUV on high beams right behind me in heavy traffic.

Is it not more fair to say those who like them can order them if they want them? On the other end of the comfort/performance scale, the same is true of the sport exhaust. If you want one, order it, right?

Gary
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by simsgw
Then why must I be burdened with the extra complexity and weight? I don't even use the prism dimmer lever because it interferes with my view behind. I only flip it when some moron is driving an SUV on high beams right behind me in heavy traffic.

Is it not more fair to say those who like them can order them if they want them? On the other end of the comfort/performance scale, the same is true of the sport exhaust. If you want one, order it, right?

Gary
Exactly right.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
On the other end of the comfort/performance scale, the same is true of the sport exhaust. If you want one, order it, right?
Agree completely except I wouldn't say that that the sport exhaust is on the other end of the scale. It's on the same end of the performance scale as auto-dimming mirrors.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

Come on, you don't need the MF wheel - reach your hand down and hit the large off button on the 997.2!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i actually like the dimming mirrors... u might be able to click to tilt your rearview but you cant do that on the sides.. and ive had many a SUV's behind me with their lights glaring in and the dimming mirrors are very useful.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Come on, you don't need the MF wheel - reach your hand down and hit the large off button on the 997.2!

Not the same and not what the OP requested. That shuts off the system entirely rather than simply darkening the screen - but without an MF wheel, you probably wouldn't know that.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

I see, thanks for the correction!

In that case, I'd like to request for my S:
* 4 heater seat heater settings like my BMW
* Mirrors that tilt on backing like my BMW
* Heated steering wheel like my BMW
* A keyles entry/push to start system like my wife's Infiniti
* Voice activated NAV ...

Oh wait, maybe I should just buy an M3/m5??

In all seriousness, there are little features I wish the car had, but they are all very very insignificant relative to the perfomance ones. And, it those are significant, I'd spend my money with a different auto company!

The list has to stop somewhere, I think Porsche picks the right options to offer (touch screen NAV) to focus mainly on the driving experience where they are differentiated.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCM INFO / Multifunction Wheel / Display Dark - sets the programmable button to toggle blank display.
that should work on the panamera as well - it is otherwise a pita with pcm 3

like others - i turn the display off a lot
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris C.
* Mirrors that tilt on backing like my BMW
* Heated steering wheel like my BMW
Mirrors can be tilted if you have power seats.
Heated steering wheel is an option.

Quick Reply: Who would want this PCM feature: 'screen off'?