Sponsored by:

Paint To Sample Is Now $5K

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint To Sample Is Now $5K

I was just looking at the Porsche ordering guide on one of the other web sites and I noticed that the 2010 paint to sample price increased from 3K to 5K. Thats a nice increase .

I guess in the grand scheme of things on a 100K car its not a lot but its still quite an increase. I tell you, they know how to get you .
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

They finally did a proper cost analysis and realized they were undercharging.

$3K is for the PITA of paint formulation and application and $2K is for the new owner's bragging rights.

Incidentally this may also explain the 100% depreciation of this option. Because the second owner did not personally order the color, it has no value because he can't brag about choosing it.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Jim Sorensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered a special paint color for my first Porsche and it cost approximately $100! (1968)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would not agree that a PTS is a 100% depreciation. Many buyers out there are seeking out an unusual color--something other than a silver or black. There's more competition amongst buyers for those cars. If you're a buyer for a silver car you can shop around. A lot. They're like buses. Another one will be along in ten minutes. The rarity of the PTS cars makes prices much more competitive in the market. Of course, it has to be a somewhat reasonable color.

Porsche charges what the market will bear--and for the serious inconvenience to them to put through PTS cars in their otherwise fluid production process.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would not agree that a PTS is a 100% depreciation. Many buyers out there are seeking out an unusual color--something other than a silver or black. There's more competition amongst buyers for those cars. If you're a buyer for a silver car you can shop around. A lot. They're like buses. Another one will be along in ten minutes. The rarity of the PTS cars makes prices much more competitive in the market. Of course, it has to be a somewhat reasonable color.

Porsche charges what the market will bear--and for the serious inconvenience to them to put through PTS cars in their otherwise fluid production process.
Dan,

Your car is PTS, correct? How long did it take from beginning to end just out of curiosity. Is your car an original Porsche color?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I would not agree that a PTS is a 100% depreciation. Many buyers out there are seeking out an unusual color--something other than a silver or black. There's more competition amongst buyers for those cars. If you're a buyer for a silver car you can shop around. A lot. They're like buses. Another one will be along in ten minutes. .
No problem. I was joking about 100% dep. PTS is probably just as bad dep-wise as other options at resale.

Possible problem with ur logic: there are lots of silver cars out there because there are lots of buyers for silver cars. Also, as the German racing color, silver for Porsche is like shopping for a Ferrari, "like buses," another red one will come along.

No biggie. People should get what they want: that explains the PTS urge.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dan color is a very important part of the car purchase.Yes a unique color may take longer to sell but with all things considered. A color that a buyer is wanting on a Pre-Owned car will sway his decision to buy or not to buy. I think a color will help you sell the car for a higher price than a std color if your buyer wants a unique color.

If I were in a used car market I would buy Dans car before I would consider a Black or Silver but I like to see color.

Will someone profit off of the PTS I doubt it. But one thing I cant understand is Porsche charging a higher fee for a Metallic std Special $ 3450 the cost for paint is no where that much, if its one of their std palettes $1500 would be more than enough since they hand paint every car anyways but they get market price if we are willing to pay whats to stop them.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I paid 4350 in 06 for mine. worth every penny.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

My 3 cents
A paint to sample may actually scare away a potential buyer of a used car.
They may not be aware that Porsche can supply the formula (they can, can't they ?) to any body shop.
As for a premium price, I think not.
It's worth the same amount in resale as full leather or carbon fiber everything....squat.
Should you do it....well, you can't drive money.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default either way....

Pick the right color on the right optioned car with the right contract interior color + model combo and I think you will not only get it back but possibly a premium for your car.... get the color wrong and you could loose the $ and some....

Example here.....a Mexico Blue 997 car well optioned vs a silver or black 997 car well optioned and the blue will attract the higher $$$$ no doubt. -assuming both care are in equal condition-
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

I love the fact that my car is PTS. My next 911 will almost certainly also be PTS. It's not alot of money to really personalize your p-car. As far as resale,....who cares? You take a beating the moment you leave the dealership with the car so why not get what you really want!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Example here.....a Mexico Blue 997 car well optioned vs a silver or black 997 car well optioned and the blue will attract the higher $$$$ no doubt. -assuming both care are in equal condition-
The only thing I thought there was evidence for was black and red cars move off the used car lot faster. There are regional tastes too. I didn't know there was also a proven market for odd-colored Porsches. Maybe the same reason as for red and black, more people want "a little something special" when they buy a pre-owned car. Anyway, I doubt "resale" will weigh heavily in anybody's mind when they decide on PTS, they just want what they want and have the cash to get it. Interesting stuff.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PTS was $3K? If so, the old price was not bad considering Porsche already charges Special Metallic Paint (e.g. GT Silver) $3,140...

Regards,
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Dan,

Your car is PTS, correct? How long did it take from beginning to end just out of curiosity. Is your car an original Porsche color?
Yes, my car is a PTS car, with a 9 month wait from ordering to picking it up in Germany. It's a Porsche color from 1996-97--"Blue Turquoise." Last seen on 993 and Boxsters in 1997. It was a standard, no upcharge color in those two years, and then dropped from the lineup.

The story on the order and more:

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...roDelivery.pdf

I guess now that PTS is more expensive it only makes my PTS car worth even more! Remember, very few vehicles manufacturers today let you pick your own color!
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

^I usually love the looks of the 997 and 993 about equally for different reasons. But in the above picture, I have to say that Dan's 997 wins the beauty contest. Perhaps it's the lens used, but the 993 looks pudgy.

Quick Reply: Paint To Sample Is Now $5K