Sponsored by:

PSE Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
rockhopper1970
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Mod Help

I've been looking over the mods for the Pse and I noticed some discrepancies in which plug people say needs to be disconnected. The majority seam to say it is the plug on the passenger side, but one user posted a picture of the plug on the driver’s side. Just curious what each plug does or, if one only eliminates the cutout effect 50-80kmh. The unit on the passenger side seams to be connected to vacuum tubing. I was also curious if plugging the vacuum line is the preferred method. I love the sound of my Pse, but I can't stand the cutout effect. Also it would be nice to be able to turn it off when I see a law officer.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

You shouldn't disconnect the vacuum lines unless you plug the source. The proper way is to disconnect the electrical connection to the solenoid. Note: when 12v is ON the valves close and the exhaust is quiet. Disconnect the 12v and the valves are open and the exhaust is permanently loud.

You need to add an interrupt switch to the 12v supply to be in control of the system yourself. There are a few examples here and on other forums.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I suggest you check out www.carnewal.com
he has a nifty remote control gadget which allows you to swith loud mode on an off when you want. Loud is loud all the time and quiet is quiet all the time. Press a button for what you want. Cool gizmo.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhopper1970
I've been looking over the mods for the Pse and I noticed some discrepancies in which plug people say needs to be disconnected. The majority seam to say it is the plug on the passenger side, but one user posted a picture of the plug on the driver’s side. Just curious what each plug does or, if one only eliminates the cutout effect 50-80kmh. The unit on the passenger side seams to be connected to vacuum tubing. I was also curious if plugging the vacuum line is the preferred method. I love the sound of my Pse, but I can't stand the cutout effect. Also it would be nice to be able to turn it off when I see a law officer.
The plug people are referring to is the electrical plug on top of the brown solenoid mounted to the right of center at the back of the motor. However, removing this means it is in loud mode all the time. This isn't so loud that you'd get in trouble with the police. If you want direct control without automatic cutout, you need to remove wiring from the DME and just put a manual switch on the power lead (and leave the plug in the solenoid).
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See pics in post #27 in this thread, I do this all the time for track days

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ictures-2.html
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I suggest you check out www.carnewal.com
he has a nifty remote control gadget which allows you to swith loud mode on an off when you want. Loud is loud all the time and quiet is quiet all the time. Press a button for what you want. Cool gizmo.
Bob, this is intriguing. Do you own this or do you know of anyone who does?
Do you know if there is a NA or Canadian distributor or if we must order directly from Belgium?
Thanks,
FF
Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Bob, this is intriguing. Do you own this or do you know of anyone who does?
Do you know if there is a NA or Canadian distributor or if we must order directly from Belgium?
Thanks,
FF
This device simply saves you the trouble of wiring in a simple switch to control the PSE solenoid. Myself, I preferred installing the switch. One less frigging remote device with batteries to contend with. Plus the switch mounted in the console was convenient. The manual switch you can do for about $10 and a few hours labor.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I saw it on a US car. Clever. Order direct from Carnewal, he ships Fedex. I usually get stuff from him within 3 days of order. By the way, Ken is right, if you are handy and don't mind running wires through the car.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I saw it on a US car. Clever. Order direct from Carnewal, he ships Fedex. I usually get stuff from him within 3 days of order. By the way, Ken is right, if you are handy and don't mind running wires through the car.
Thanks, and yes, I am handy and wouldn't mind the wires but certainly don't want to poke a hole in my console to mount the switch. Any thoughts?

I guess I should have a look since all you need to do is find a way to interrupt that 12 V so that the PSE valve stays open.

Ken: Agree, certainly don't need another remote in my life

Quick Reply: PSE Mod Help