Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Exhaust - have pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the key clockwise as if to start it up, you can stop short of engaging the starter. Then press the sport button on your console and wait 3 or 4 seconds. Your sport exhaust will then have opened up both pipes on each side and you will get a throaty roar. Its nice to have the option to start up with a low roar (normal) or a full roar (sport)! Either way is glorious, just different.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:14 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks LawJDC for confirming that for me -- sweet!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:39 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get sports exhaust (XLF) on the 06' 4CS? I don't see it as an option in the .pdf options guide
Old 10-17-2005, 01:31 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Default Yes, you can get it with a C4 or C4s

Originally Posted by littlebigfish
Can you get sports exhaust (XLF) on the 06' 4CS? I don't see it as an option in the .pdf options guide
I've asked several dealerships and they all say yes.

Porsche is notorious for numerous errors in their written materials, and sadly the PDF is no exception -- despite the fact that they've already updated it once.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:26 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
When you turn the key clockwise as if to start it up, you can stop short of engaging the starter. Then press the sport button on your console and wait 3 or 4 seconds. Your sport exhaust will then have opened up both pipes on each side and you will get a throaty roar. Its nice to have the option to start up with a low roar (normal) or a full roar (sport)! Either way is glorious, just different.
I tried this this morning and it didn't seem to make any difference. The sport light was on when the car started, but it didn't seem to be any louder. Mine definitely starts up with a roar, then seems to tone down quite a bit after a few seconds. Therefore, I suspect it starts up with PSE on, then turns it off. I don't know this for a fact though.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
nastywej
1st Gear

So can you enable the sports exhaust to stay on all the time.....or even stop it turning off when you get over 3500 rpm.....my 996 4s had a fuse removed ....Does anyone know if its possible on the 997 C4S ???
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nastywej
So can you enable the sports exhaust to stay on all the time.....or even stop it turning off when you get over 3500 rpm.....my 996 4s had a fuse removed ....Does anyone know if its possible on the 997 C4S ???
Unlike the 996, the 997 PSE is controlled by the computer so as far as I have determined after a lot of checking, no way to disable the cutoff between 35-50 mph (+-). Mine is on all the time.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:32 AM
2thfixr
Instructor

Yes, there is a way to install the PSE with a separate switch to bypass the cutouts etc and make it stay on all of the time. My dealership is doing the mod for me when they install the PSE for me. My salesman demonstrated it for me on a car in the showroom. My car has sport chrono so I have the sport button and they will be adding a separate exhaust button next to it. The dealership will also add a toggle switch inside the little cubbyhole under the switches. When the toggle is flipped one way, the PSE will stay on at all times, even at startup. When the toggle is flipped the other way, PSE will act normally with all of it's corresponding cutout points and will react normally to the sport exhaust switch and the sport switch. The problem is that the tech has to quite a bit of work to install the switch. I saw him doing another cab and he had the driver's seat out as well as several panels from under the softtop storage area removed.

The other problem is that apparantly there are 6 different versions or part numbers for the PSE switch. My dealership has had to order all 6 of them and the 4 they received are incompatible with my VIN#, they are still waiting for the other 2 switches to arrive. I was rescheduled once already and I have an appt on Mon to get it installed but got a call that I should call before bringing my car to make sure that the other 2 switches arrived.

Royal PITA but I hope it's all worth it.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Does Porsche make PSE for regular 997 yet?
Old 11-13-2005, 12:06 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Yes, there is a way to install the PSE with a separate switch to bypass the cutouts etc and make it stay on all of the time. My dealership is doing the mod for me when they install the PSE for me. My salesman demonstrated it for me on a car in the showroom. My car has sport chrono so I have the sport button and they will be adding a separate exhaust button next to it. The dealership will also add a toggle switch inside the little cubbyhole under the switches. When the toggle is flipped one way, the PSE will stay on at all times, even at startup. When the toggle is flipped the other way, PSE will act normally with all of it's corresponding cutout points and will react normally to the sport exhaust switch and the sport switch. The problem is that the tech has to quite a bit of work to install the switch. I saw him doing another cab and he had the driver's seat out as well as several panels from under the softtop storage area removed.

The other problem is that apparantly there are 6 different versions or part numbers for the PSE switch. My dealership has had to order all 6 of them and the 4 they received are incompatible with my VIN#, they are still waiting for the other 2 switches to arrive. I was rescheduled once already and I have an appt on Mon to get it installed but got a call that I should call before bringing my car to make sure that the other 2 switches arrived.

Royal PITA but I hope it's all worth it.
It really isn't that complex. Ray G showed me how you just need to unplug one cable to get PSE on full time. You can no longer toggle it (unless you plug the cable back in), but it is really quite easy -- and free. You can hook it back up before going to the dealership for service too. Quite ingenious!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nastywej
Yes, see my last post. You just pull one cable (the power cable for the PSE). Works for 997 S models as well as those with Sports Exhaust. I've seen it in action with both and it appears to work great.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:16 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Ah, from a different post - here's the pics:

1. Before (that's the cable)
2. Pull the tab and disconnect (see the arrow)
3. Leave disconnected as shown.

Works great and leaves PSE on full time from what I've seen and heard on 2 997S (one regular and one with X51 power upgrade).
Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2005, 01:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shouldn't you cover the ends to keep "crud" from getting into the connections?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:09 PM
MMD
Banned

What switch? There's no switch. Who needs a switch? Try this first.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:00 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that green thingy a switch that allows you to bypass the muffler (or not) albeit under rather than in the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Sports Exhaust - have pictures?