Random Ownership Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:28 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Random Ownership Questions

Hi All,

I've taken delivery of my first 911 pictured to the left and it didn't come with an ownership manual (I've emailed the dealer).

In the meantime I have a few questions which should entertain you all :

1. Can someone tell me what the key button does below the hazard button in the center of the dash?

2. On my key it has the key icon button. When I press it nothing happens...nor does anything happen when I press the trunk button. The red light lights up but nada happens. Am I missing something?

Also, when I unlock the car using the key in the door, I hop in and my wife wants to get in the passenger side door but its locked. How do I unlock the door or is it simply a matter of having the key in the ignition to unlock?

3. On the headliner where the vanity lights are what are the buttons just above the lights that when pressed give the orange light? Garage door buttons?

4. In the gauge cluster the outside temperature and clock are shown. How do you adjust both to be Celsius and the correct time? I couldn't find it using the left hand side menu...

Many thanks for the newbie help.

I love my Porsche! 500 miles in 5 days so far...
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that my car has been in the garage for 6 mths now I'll try and answer what i can remember.
1) try holding down the buttons on your key chain for a couple seconds.
2) the key button on the dash by the hazard button IS the button to unlock the door for the wife.....(just check that she's got her shoes clean and she looks the way you want her too before you let her in.
That's all i can remember....damn snow.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

1) That's the central locking button. Pressing it locks/unlocks both doors.

2) The key button on the remote should lock/unlock both doors. The trunk button should open the front bonnet.

3) Those 3 buttons are for homelink programming. They should be marked by one dot, two dots, and three dots, respectively.

4) The clock and temp can be adjusted via the PCM menu. Or, to quickly adjust the clock, you can push & hold down the stalk in the instrument cluster until the clock reading flashes, then turn the dial to the desired time.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Link to some owner manuals. Hope this helps while you wait for your hardcopy.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...wners-manuals/
Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Hi All,

I've taken delivery of my first 911 pictured to the left and it didn't come with an ownership manual (I've emailed the dealer).

In the meantime I have a few questions which should entertain you all :

1. Can someone tell me what the key button does below the hazard button in the center of the dash?

CENTRAL LOCKING

2. On my key it has the key icon button. When I press it nothing happens...nor does anything happen when I press the trunk button. The red light lights up but nada happens. Am I missing something?

YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT DOWN LONG ENOUGH AND WATCH THE TAILIGHTS OR FRONT TURN LIGHTS FOR A RESPONSE. (IT DOES NOT BEEP). TRUNK BUTTON MUST BE DEPRESSED LONGER TO OPEN TRUNK

Also, when I unlock the car using the key in the door, I hop in and my wife wants to get in the passenger side door but its locked. How do I unlock the door or is it simply a matter of having the key in the ignition to unlock?

UNLOCK THE CAR WITH THE BUTTON NEAREST THE KEY ITSELF (NOT THE METAL KEY) AND BOTH DOORS WILL BE UNLOCKED.

3. On the headliner where the vanity lights are what are the buttons just above the lights that when pressed give the orange light? Garage door buttons?

HOMELINK GARAGE DOOR OPENERS -- PROGRAMMABLE (AWAIT THE MANUAL)

4. In the gauge cluster the outside temperature and clock are shown. How do you adjust both to be Celsius and the correct time? I couldn't find it using the left hand side menu...

CELCIUS--OBTAINED VIA THE PCM OR VIA THE LOWER LEFT STALK--CHOOSE THAT AND GO THROUGH THE OPTIONS. DO YOU HAVE NAV? IF SO, ONCE TIME IS SET IT WILL STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE AID OF GPS

Many thanks for the newbie help.

I love my Porsche! 500 miles in 5 days so far...

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe I remember hearing something about the remote (key) not working if it hasn't been used in 5 days?
Seems like to reactivate it you had to use the key in the doorlock?
I'm pretty new here, but that's what I remember my sales guy telling me.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you're not using the car for 5 days just get rid of it.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Dan must be in a foul mood again...

I'd be broke if I get rid then re-acquire my P-car before and after every family vacation.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I remembered when I bought my car the salesperson spent about an hour going every details.
Don't they do that any more?
abe
Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If the car has been idle for about 5 days, as a security precaution, the locking system "forgets" the key. All you need do is insert the key in the drivers door lock. Twist the key to lock the car. Then unlock it by twisting the opposite way.

Remove the key and push the lock/ unlock button. You should be happy to see it unlock the doors. Likewise the trunk unlock button will work.

Note that you can program the door locks to open both at once or not. It is in the menu on the PCM screen as I recall. Under options ...

Regards,
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I remembered when I bought my car the salesperson spent about an hour going every details.
Don't they do that any more?
abe
I'm sure they do Abe however, I bought my 911 sight unseen from half way around the world...

Many thanks for the replies guys! I had figured most things out myself but those 4 items puzzled me. I'll try holding down the key button on the key-chain in order to open the doors.

Now up to 1,000 miles since taking delivery. Can I ask what your oil level sits at for idle (stoplight) and while at speed? Mine sits just over 1 when at a stop and 4-5 while in motion.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm TAKING my car on family vacation! (We'll see how that goes, thank God for Nintendo DS and iPhone apps to keep the kids busy.)
Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

"Can I ask what your oil level sits at for idle (stoplight) and while at speed? Mine sits just over 1 when at a stop and 4-5 while in motion."

That's oil pressure dude, and sounds about right to me, but I'm newish. Anyone else? Oil level is a whole other thing that has to be measured while engine is hot and car is stopped. You turn your key to the first position (before engine starts) enough for the dash lights to come on, and there will be quite a long countdown as the computer measures your oil level.

Enjoy. I like the subtly colored wheels BTW.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm new also, but mine is between 4 and 5 while driving. Don't think it drops as low as 1 at a stop light, maybe 2 - 3, I'll need to check.

Quick Reply: Random Ownership Questions