Sponsored by:

Feb '10 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
IMO porsche thought they could do what they did with the 911 and get away with it with regards to the Boxter and Cayman.... meaning very subtle changes over the years. These cars did not dress the walls in poster form of kids 20+ years back... and will never have the cult like following as does the 911 posrches flagship auto. Porsche needed to watch these cars evolution, follow the times, make bigger and better changes to both these models... they were a hit in their introduction as are most "new posrche models" as seen in the new 4dr etc... but don't have the legs to go years and years only slighlty changing like the 911. That said I realize the 911 has gone through some pretty dramatic changes internally etc but asthetically has not.... commonly known as the car that still retains its old lines etc... for the 911 that works, why? Cause it is the Porsche 911..... this will NOt work in a Cayman or a Boxter as these cars will never be as iconic, memoribale and frozen in peoples brain as the car to someday own much as the 911. But what do I know, just a consumer here. Major overalls needed or these models will continue to suffer.
I agree with what you are saying about the Boxster/Cayman not being the latest and greatest thing and it impacts sales. A bigger issue is the demographics of the Boxster/Cayman buyer. These people have mostly likely been hammered by the recession big time.

As for the 911, while some of this is true its certainly not true for 996 which you basically cant give away. Nobody wants them, not the enthusiasts, not the hardcore Porsche people nor the average joe that just wants a sports car. These cars are unloved used. Once people find out about the IMS issues thats the icing on the cake.

As for the 997 it has the IMS problem as well at least till 2009. From my browsings these things have take a huge beating on depreciation as well. We shall see how they hold their value in the future but I doubt it.

I dont think neither the 996/997 will ever have the value of the 993. With the 911 you are buying an image. You cant honestly tell me that it costs that much more to build than the Boxster/Cayman as a lot of the cars are shared including engines with minor displacement changes, transmission, interior pieces (seats, the doors, center consoles and more are the same), stereos, electronics, suspension, blah, blah. You are paying for the 911 name and image. Nothing wrong with that but lets not pretend that the 911 is that much different than the Boxster/Cayman.

In general the baby boomer generation who are the buyers of these cars have had a wake up call with this recession and have drastically curtailed their spending.

The first on the block syndrome definitely is the reason for the sales of the Panamera. We shall see how long it lasts. There are very nice 4 (err 5 door in the Panamera's case ) door sedans around. The competition is stiff no doubt.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

boolala and others that feel the same way and think nothing of jumping down this poster's throat. He is correct in that there is a demographic of Boxster / Cayman owner that can afford to buy a 997, or even one of each Porsche model made, but chose to buy a Boxster / Cayman. I know several guys through PCA that have bought a new Cayman and had a race shop set it up for DE fun, or bought a Boxster S to compliment a GT3 or other 997 variant. I can have any car I want, but bought a Boxster S for my wife to enjoy and my kids to use at DE. Basically, don't jump so quickly to conclusions...

Originally Posted by boolala

This means absolutely NOTHING. So you know 2 people who could have purchaced a more expensive car, but didn't. Whoop dee doo.

Are you trying to conclude from this that the financial demographics of Cayman/Boxster owners are the same as those who purchased 911s? Because that's the implication of your post and I don't believe that for one minute. Not being elitist here but I just don't believe it.

As has been suggested previously it is much more likely that people in the upper income brackets gravitate to the premium car in the model range and have not been quite as affected by the current economic downturn.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonCT
................ Basically, don't jump so quickly to conclusions...
Ron (and others): my point previously, which you understood, was that Boxster owners are not 2nd class citizens. During the 70s, 80's, and 90s owning a Porsche was special, but it did not make you "special". There was a camaraderie amongst the owners , be they 914s or 993TTs. What I, and some other people who have been around awhile, find sad is that during the past 5 years or so there are a # of 'Johnny-come latelys' who are "disappointed" with any model below theirs and are more than willing to bloviate about it here and elsewhere. It would be naive of me to hope that we will return to the PCA 'clubiness' of the past; it would be stupid, nasty, and insipid if I were to hypothesize about why the "Po-Folk" Boxster/Cayman people can no longer afford to buy a car.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

i can't wait to get a 911 so that i become completely immune to economic forces.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Does anyone know how the 2010 Turbo is seeling? M.J. how many new Turbos were sold this year as compared to last year?

Jay
Old 03-06-2010, 01:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Does anyone know how the 2010 Turbo is seeling? M.J. how many new Turbos were sold this year as compared to last year?

Jay
Jan
54 Coupe 33 Cab
Feb
49 Coupe 44 Cab

Jan
133 Coupe 98 Cab
Feb
42 Coupe 58 Cab
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small increase over 2009 (one of the worst economies in memory) is not great news but any upward movement is better than none.

One question will be even if things get better how long will it be before people truly believe it and when will they begin to behave that way? consumers drive our economy
Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

One also has to keep in mind that 2010 has been a very harsh winter for most of the country.

Perhaps a factor for the drop off in Porsche Sports Cars vs. Porsche SUV/Sedans. A Cayenne can come in handy in the snow, less so for a Cayman.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
One also has to keep in mind that 2010 has been a very harsh winter for most of the country.

Perhaps a factor for the drop off in Porsche Sports Cars vs. Porsche SUV/Sedans. A Cayenne can come in handy in the snow, less so for a Cayman.
+1 wait a month or two

Quick Reply: Feb '10 Sales