Sponsored by:

Weird Random 997 Survey in mail, $50 to complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weird Random 997 Survey in mail, $50 to complete

got survey in mail, ive gotten a few from porsche in past and 1 from an independent company but this one just seems odd..

anyone else get one?

A: ask for a fast reply (a few days away)

B: $50

C: no phone number on site

D: no real "gain" by them to scam i dont get it.. (they already have my name and what car i bought and my address, so what could they possibly get from the survey?)
http://amerresearch.com/

http://www.tns-infratest.com/

-riley

Last edited by rijowysock; 02-27-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If in doubt, simply call 1 800 PORSCHE and ask them if they have an independent research company getting addresses for surveys from them.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If in doubt, simply call 1 800 PORSCHE and ask them if they have an independent research company getting addresses for surveys from them.
guess thats the easiest, first step is the easy to post forum.. second i figured would be to call porsche and try and explain myself 15x.lol
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've paid people in my work life to participate in focus groups. this may very well be to get a higher response rate.

i do not know that company though.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Got the same survey. Sounded like more information and time than worth the $50 to me - circular filed it.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

From the link; it appears they list as clients 'VW' and 'Audi', amongst others, but not 'Porsche' (yet).

So it might simply be VW's way of doing marketing research and you guys are some of the firsts to see this form of letter.

Do it; You can always quit if part way thru they start in on some rich Nigerian relative, ........
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

it's definitely legit, that's a well organized study. I did it, still haven't seen my 50 bones yet!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:56 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd reserve the term 'definitely legit' until your bank confirms that the $50 they sent you is worth the paper its printed on (and it may well happen, but until it does...)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris C.
it's definitely legit, that's a well organized study. I did it, still haven't seen my 50 bones yet!!
just did it as well, the american business in charge seemed iffy, but the TNS site checked out..

as far as survey they need some car people making the questions as some were ambiguous.

in one section they spoke about performance, and they said a car was 0-60 in 4 seconds.. but they said its passing acceleration was very poor and it was a 4 liter v12... a car with 4 second 0-60 im sure would pass well on highway unless it was geared seriously wrong.

another section they listed safety features and said a car got 5 star rating but then said every part on the car rated poorly in studies... how did it get 5 star rating?

they made me choose between audi, lexus and porsche... of course im going to pick porsche.. but name a current lexus or audi (currently available) that would surpass your 911?.. R8 is mean but slow... and lexus...???

when they got to the part about buying a car.. if i bought an 87k car and had 45k trade... then yes i sent a wire for the difference and that was my "buying price" but technically wouldnt the "money alotted for the purchase of car in total" be 87 and not 42?

lotta odd questions, i know surveys are made to test basically what your not thinking about so they can be more accurate.. but some of the questions would get odd responses based on the wording/etc
Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The P.S. bothers me. Probably included to make it SOUND more legitimate. Maybe one percent of people who are associated with car industry will actually decline based on their association with car industry.

Nevertheless, it adds an air of legitimacy and "trustworthy-ness" to the letter. I.e. "We trust you so you can trust us."

They will get your email address, which is as valuable as gold.

BTW, I got your "Thank you of $50" right here:
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Don't read into it LiBR it's not a conspiracy, I just sent in the survey last weekend

I do similar surveys in my line of work and its pretty clear to me it's NOT porsche but another marque (Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus were the players) testing the Porsche value equation and how customers see luxury vs sport features vs cost. It's a trade-off analysis on electronics, safety, performance, brand image, and ultimately cost.

I was having that chat explaining the value proposition of Porsche to my wife recently BTW, explaining why Porsche doesn't compete w BMW on luxury do-dads. It was interesting.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Don't read into it LiBR it's not a conspiracy, I just sent in the survey last weekend

Yeah. My bad. Thanks. The fifty bucks threw me. BTW, I took a day off and stayed home when I learned on a daytime TV advertisement that I can make thousands by simply taking surveys.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Many years ago, I got one from Mazda (I think) to Lexus owners. A focus group for $50. We had to go to a location and go through booths with various exterior colors, interior colors, seating designs and comfort features.
It was legit and I got my $50, different from the several $1, surveys I have now received!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dudes, How valuable is your time?

I know I post to Rennlist so I am not exactly the most efficient time manager ... but I still tossed it
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mander
Dudes, How valuable is your time?

I know I post to Rennlist so I am not exactly the most efficient time manager ... but I still tossed it
survey wasnt very bad at all, as far as my time... i do pretty much nothing on a daily basis.... so was better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Weird Random 997 Survey in mail, $50 to complete