Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Gen 3 - good news for next 911 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne Gen 3 - good news for next 911 ?

Check out official images and info on Gen 3 Cayenne. (check autoblog)

Most important is that the middle level S version lost 400 lbs !

If the next 911's get an 8% weight reduction, that would put the car in the 2800 lb range. So even if the motors are carried over with no increase in power, we would have the best handling and fastest 911's ever.

Fingers crossed.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding was that some of the weight loss came from a reduction in offroad ability, however.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats exactly what a heard.

sub 3000lb 911 would be awsome.
BTW why does the new Chayenne at 500 = the new TT when the C's engine is bigger???
Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
machina
Racer

Originally Posted by Ucube
My understanding was that some of the weight loss came from a reduction in offroad ability, however.
Good point, there's alot more opportunites to trim weight from the Cayenne than from the 911 but even a sub 3000 lb 911 would be fantastic.

I think it makes sense for the next gen 911's to trim weight not only to improve perfromance but also to meet stricter fuel consumption requirements worldwide.

Win Win
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW, 400 lbs off that lardy faux-porsche! It is a miracle! (grins)

Remember that it is easier for a 600 lb man to lose 50 lbs, than a 175 lb man to lose even 10 lbs. The 911 is already pretty flimsy in a lot of areas, so I would not hold your breath that they can pare any more weight off, unless they go to an Al chassis. I doubt Porsche would be willing to give up their profit margins for that big of an adjustment in manufacturing.

With the equally lardy Panamera (porsche's latest engineering effort), I would not expect much weight loss at all...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
machina
Racer

Originally Posted by docjohnM

Remember that it is easier for a 600 lb man to lose 50 lbs, than a 175 lb man to lose even 10 lbs. The 911 is already pretty flimsy in a lot of areas, so I would not hold your breath that they can pare any more weight off, unless they go to an Al chassis. I doubt Porsche would be willing to give up their profit margins for that big of an adjustment in manufacturing.

With the equally lardy Panamera (porsche's latest engineering effort), I would not expect much weight loss at all...
Sorry, but the Panamera is cutting edge in many areas in terms of weight savings. Lots of aluminum and new manufacturing process. I am pretty sure it is the lightest sedan in its class, also the quickest.

We wont have to wait long to find out if Porsche did the right thing with the next 911, I'm betting we will be pleasantly suprised.

Less is More
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by docjohnM

this is true. However, there is a difference b/w ability & willingness
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by machina
Sorry, but the Panamera is cutting edge in many areas in terms of weight savings. Lots of aluminum and new manufacturing process. I am pretty sure it is the lightest sedan in its class, also the quickest.
On point.

I'm all for less weight... and frankly really applaud Porsche for the revised Cayenne because it went from an ugly vehicle that drives well that I didn't even consider during my last purchase to a great looking rig that I will definitely consider the next purchase... but there's one downside to the extreme measures that Porsche took with the weight reduction in the Panamera. And that is repairs and insurance. The cutting edge manufacturing techniques and materials Porsche used with the Panamera are going to make that an extremely difficult and expensive vehicle to repair correctly if it's in an accident. That might seem trivial but trust me... from someone that once drove an NSX... it's something to be considered. And I'm sure that a year from now when folks start crashing them, insurance rates are going to jump.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by machina

We wont have to wait long to find out if Porsche did the right thing with the next 911, I'm betting we will be pleasantly suprised.

Less is More
i agree depsite its lard a$$ it's curb weight is competive:
P S 3968 LB
m5 4012
e63 4058
s6 4486 (AWD)
cts-v 4222 (stick)
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
machina
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
this is true. However, there is a difference b/w ability & willingness
They really dont have a choice if they want to stay in business. They have to meet tougher emissions and fuel consumption standards.

Saving weight improves all of the above + performance.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
On point.

I'm all for less weight... and frankly really applaud Porsche for the revised Cayenne because it went from an ugly vehicle that drives well that I didn't even consider during my last purchase to a great looking rig that I will definitely consider the next purchase... but there's one downside to the extreme measures that Porsche took with the weight reduction in the Panamera. And that is repairs and insurance. The cutting edge manufacturing techniques and materials Porsche used with the Panamera are going to make that an extremely difficult and expensive vehicle to repair correctly if it's in an accident. That might seem trivial but trust me... from someone that once drove an NSX... it's something to be considered. And I'm sure that a year from now when folks start crashing them, insurance rates are going to jump.

very true. BMW z8 was/are know for this. However the counterpoint is that this is the direction the industry is heading and many bodyshops are up to task. There will be, however, much needed investment for the new tools.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Supercharged V6... hmm, better said, Audi in Porsche skin?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Supercharged V6... hmm, better said, Audi in Porsche skin?
Better get used to that.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

3.6L at only 300hp? Stinks
wheres the PDK?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Better get used to that.
Well Cayenne was pretty much VW Toureg to begin with... if I wanted to get an SUV, I'd either go with Toureg or Audi Q5, better value, and does all that is required of a premium SUV! Porsche would remain just as my sports car!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Gen 3 - good news for next 911 ?