Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 4 year old niece paints better than this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Get ur niece to paint it then!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I had to drive the pin out when I removed it, should it have come out easy?
I've only done my Boxster's brakes -- several times over the 228K miles I've driven it -- but the pin comes out by just shoving it out using a right-sized philips screwdriver as long as I press down on the pad retaining spring to remove some pressure from the pin.

Before I disassemble the brake hardware, I give the brake caliper and hardware a good spraying down with brake cleaner to remove as much of the brake dust and road grime as possible. Put several layers of newspaper under the hub and catch the fluid and you'll see just how much dirt gets washed away.

Removing this grime tends to make disassembly a bit easier.

If I don't replace the hardware with new I use a small wire brush to scrub the pin's shaft to remove any grime still on the pin. A quick rinse with some more brake cleaner spray fluid and reassembly is a cinch though I still press down on the pad retaining spring so the pin can slide in with just finger pressure/force.

Before I went to the trouble of trying to paint calipers I'd see about having them sent out to be powder coated.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default send them out....

Yeah cause painting them Red will now make then them fake brakes? Give me a brake....

Agree with sending them out and have them done right.

Originally Posted by Trader220
Send em out to be powder coated or better yet buy the real red ones
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the logic I would use: Honey, I screwed up painting my calipers...I'll just have to be an S now.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elf S
Here's the logic I would use: Honey, I screwed up painting my calipers...I'll just have to be an S now.
Ha Ha! I totally tried this. Didn't go over so well. I'll take KW V3s way before I upgrade the brakes. It was in for the mufflers so I figured I'd get the calipers done too.

I have sent them out to a pro shop that does lots of calipers and ended up disassembling them to get it done right. He's gonna spray them next week.

Quick Reply: My 4 year old niece paints better than this...