Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOD save our cars from ourselves!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GOD save our cars from ourselves!!!!

Pep boys today late 50s guy asked cashier "should I add 1 or 2 quarts when the oil light goes on or should I check the dipstick?" This was on a 06 Cayenne...overhearing the conversation I helped the guy out. Dip stick showed oil just above full line...asked him for the owners manual and the light on was actually " check emission ". God save us... this guy could have added two quarts on a car slightly already overfilled...and didn't even bother to read the manual. The Porsche God was looking over this P car's soul for sure. I was surprised that this guy was a little older than me with no car knowledge. Am I out of touch and this is the rule or is this guy the exception? BTW, this is not putting down P car owners...this probably applies to any contemporary car owner.
abe

Last edited by abe; 02-25-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

It is Pep boys...........
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a dipstick?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should see the sillyness we get at our garage. It actually makes me cry some times and scares me that these cars don't require regular safety inspections. I have cars I can't even put on hoists they're falling apart so bad.

A guy yesterday told us that he was just going to drive his lincon navigator to montreal (2 hour drive) with a severely leaking rear brake line because he could get it fixed cheaper there.

Another guys car was in such bad shape that when we lifted it with a jack to repair a tire the frame bent enough to crack the decrepit brake lines. He attempted to blame US for the leak.

I've seen more cars than I can count that have ball joints and tie rods that are so loose they're falling off.

Cars need to be looked at and pulled off the road like in europe and japan if they are deemed unsafe. As a shop manager I don't even have the authority to condemn a car no matter how bad it is.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Some of the people that own Porsches today......are a bit different than the people that owned them 10-15 years ago.
I put that as nicely as I could.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
What's a dipstick?
Well, maybe that is why we no longer have dipsticks...thank goodness for those little oil bars!
abe
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

The real questiuon is what were you doing in Pep Boys?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was in California correct?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
The real questiuon is what were you doing in Pep Boys?
Oil...and yes it was in Kalifornia..I will admit.
abe
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Pep boys today late 50s guy asked cashier "should I add 1 or 2 quarts when the oil light goes on or should I check the dipstick?" This was on a 06 Cayenne...overhearing the conversation I helped the guy out. Dip stick showed oil just above full line...asked him for the owners manual and the light on was actually " check emission ". God save us... this guy could have added two quarts on a car slightly already overfilled...and didn't even bother to read the manual. The Porsche God was looking over this P car's soul for sure. I was surprised that this guy was a little older than me with no car knowledge. Am I out of touch and this is the rule or is this guy the exception? BTW, this is not putting down P car owners...this probably applies to any contemporary car owner.
abe
The guy was lucky. He was helped by a P-car guy who knows his stuff.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with abe there, he got the dipsick!

i'm sorry, it was such softball

abe is great, and helped out a fellow porsche owner. he'll know now to see better counsel rather than take it to pep boys on his own.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't even about knowing where the engine is:

How does one go from "Check Emissions" to concluding: Add Oil?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Some of the people that own Porsches today......are a bit different than the people that owned them 10-15 years ago.
Agreed!

I think they should make you QUALIFY to own a sports car before buying one. I can't remember where was it, but I heard to own some cars in Europe you need to do a track day first (included in the price of the car).

I actually don't care when idiots own Kia, Ford Fiesta, or Hyundai, etc... what really pisses me off is when I see people who can NOT properly fill up the tank, go and buy AMG, M3, M5, RS4, Cayenne, and some 911 Turbo! Just cause they got the cash...

Once I saw a woman in her 50s driving an M5 and got out of the parking with the door half open and jammed it into the sidewall... I almost went over and asked WHY does she need an M5? Like if a 525 or 530 wouldn't satisfy her grocery shopping needs!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
Absolutely. People buying these today (for the most part) own them because they're "Porsches," and not because of anything else.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed!

I think they should make you QUALIFY to own a sports car before buying one. I can't remember where was it, but I heard to own some cars in Europe you need to do a track day first (included in the price of the car).

I actually don't care when idiots own Kia, Ford Fiesta, or Hyundai, etc... what really pisses me off is when I see people who can NOT properly fill up the tank, go and buy AMG, M3, M5, RS4, Cayenne, and some 911 Turbo! Just cause they got the cash...

Once I saw a woman in her 50s driving an M5 and got out of the parking with the door half open and jammed it into the sidewall... I almost went over and asked WHY does she need an M5? Like if a 525 or 530 wouldn't satisfy her grocery shopping needs!!!
why does that frustrate you?

Quick Reply: GOD save our cars from ourselves!!!!