Sponsored by:

Chassis vibration- PDK Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Twinspin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis vibration- PDK Issue?

I recently installed a center muffler bypass pipe (brand to rename nameless) on my 2009 997.2 PDK and I started to experience a significant amount of chassis borne vibration. This is not sound resonance but actually vibration that shakes the interior and exterior of the car and only at idle. I read on this forum that others had a similar experience and found that the bolts on the exhaust parts cannot be over-torqued so I had the manufacturer of the delete pipe check the bolts even though my dealer installed the item. The re-torque did not help.

Symptoms –

(1) at idle (in stop and go traffic) with the car in gear (PDK) and my foot on the brake, the car vibrations (through the steering wheel and seats and some time gets so rough that interior trim pieces and the outside mirror shakes. If I take the car out of gear or turn off the AC I see no difference.

(2) Although I have had these same symptoms for a couple weeks (and they seem to have started around the same time as the by-pass pipe install) yesterday I saw a new symptom. Again with my foot on the brake (car stopped) and the car in gear, the revs would bounce around by roughly 100 to 150 rpms without and input by me or the AC unit cycling.

I am beginning to believe I may have a PDK issue that is completely unrelated to the bypass pipe but wondered if anyone has had or heard of similar issues.

Thank you for your thoughts?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem when I installed my bypass pipes. And it was caused by excess contact of part of the pipes to the chassie. In my case it was the resting plate(right side) of the pipes that contact the center muffler support plate. Once I remove the contact vibration disappeared. I hope this help.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Twinspin
AutoX

Thanks for the quick response....can I ask which pipe you used? I understand that 3 that are available may have slightly different mounting points.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twinspin
Thanks for the quick response....can I ask which pipe you used? I understand that 3 that are available may have slightly different mounting points.

I have Sharkwerk bypass pipes. If you need to, I can take a photo when I get home this afternoon.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Twinspin
AutoX

That would be more than awesome!

Many thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Here is the picture I promised. This is on the passenger side and you can see I had cut off the bracket on the bypass pipes.

John
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

mine was from bolts being too tight, i really should hack off the bracket as well but too lazy to remove because getting mine on was a pain.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Twinspin
AutoX

Again thank you for the picture!

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Here is the picture I promised. This is on the passenger side and you can see I had cut off the bracket on the bypass pipes.

John

Quick Reply: Chassis vibration- PDK Issue?