Sponsored by:

Impact wrenches, portable compressors

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Impact wrenches, portable compressors

I'm considering picking up an electric impact wrench for wheel changes. I don't want a high end tool, as I don't use it that often. I've seen cordless ones that look intriguing.

I'm also considering picking up a small 12v compressor to keep tire inflations correct.

Looking for any recommendations/experience re inexpensive versions of these devices. Again, they won't be used very often, so I'm not interested in rugged or high-end versions that a shop would use.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ken I'd just get a breaker bar. You can even put a pipe on the end for more leverage. Impact wrenches will just wreck things, chip paint, crack chrome, strip threads, IMO. Good for a mechanic who does a dozen tire changes in a day.

Also a speed wrench is nice for getting nuts and bolts back on nice and quick. I use my cordless drill just to get the nuts on or off faster; preceded by breaker bar or followed by a torque wrench of course.

Of course you have to have a torque wrench too.
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

There's a lot of guys at the track that buy the cordless ones from pep boys and they swear by them. I have a Longacre that has served me well.

Air compressors? Just for tires? Any diaphragm compressor will do that. If you are looking down the road for more air a recip compressor staring at 7 scfm and a 30 gallon tank would be nice.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ir+Compressors
probably overkill but looks to be a pretty good buy
Old 02-20-2010, 04:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER

Air compressors? Just for tires?
Heck! Maybe rethink and get a nice 5gal tank air compressor INSTEAD of the impact wrench. Having a blower nozzle, tire inflation, other air tools is really a quantum leap in garage equipment. Blower nozzle alone dries, cleans, dusts. Just an idea. I'm home alone and bored.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by LlBr
Heck! Maybe rethink and get a nice 5gal tank air compressor INSTEAD of the impact wrench. Having a blower nozzle, tire inflation, other air tools is really a quantum leap in garage equipment. Blower nozzle alone dries, cleans, dusts. Just an idea. I'm home alone and bored.
You're right. I should stay away from PEP boys and being tempted to buy things I don't need. Maybe I'll just pick up a little compressor, then I've got everything I need.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Small compressor is the way to go. I use mine to keep tires inflated, blow off water after washing, blow out the garage, run small air tools, etc. Couldn't get along without it.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I have one about this size. Plenty of air for everything except when I blow out the irrigation system for winter months. Then it runs constantly to keep up. Also for sand blasting it's minimal size. Other than that it could be smaller. BTW, I got a mess of air tools for dirt cheap one or two times during a sale at auto supply store. Hold out for the bargains; eventually you'll have impact wrench, grinder, ratchet, air hammer, darn cheap all Chinese made and at least good household quality.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend Sears for an excellent selection of tools. Most salespeople are fairly knowledgable.
Don't ever stop a Snap-on truck and talk to the owner/driver. If you thought the Porsche was expensive to buy wait till you buy the tool chest
and start to fill it
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by LlBr
I have one about this size. Plenty of air for everything except when I blow out the irrigation system for winter months. Then it runs constantly to keep up. Also for sand blasting it's minimal size. Other than that it could be smaller. BTW, I got a mess of air tools for dirt cheap one or two times during a sale at auto supply store. Hold out for the bargains; eventually you'll have impact wrench, grinder, ratchet, air hammer, darn cheap all Chinese made and at least good household quality.
I had a couple of compressors 5 years ago, and impact wrench, air hammer, 10" table saw, etc. I sold it all after I finished renovating my house and when I figured I was done with laying under cars. I wanted to get rid of space-consuming tools that were no longer needed. I wish I had kept the tools but as you say, they can be found pretty cheap. I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals, including Craigslist.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

I use a Dewalt cordless impact wrench. Works great and came with two battery packs and a hard case.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Sadiq
Pro

sears/craftsman is top notch.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Coochas
I use a Dewalt cordless impact wrench. Works great and came with two battery packs and a hard case.
Dave:
Those look really handy to me. What voltage is yours? Can I assume they have enough juice to remove and install a set of wheels on one battery charge?

BTW, have you used your deionization system yet? I got mine this week, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Tom N
Instructor

I suggest a Makita BTW251 impact wrench. It has 170 ft lbs of torque and the battery life is outstanding using 18 volt Lithium Ion batteries. Very compact and comfortable to use. Will easily remove lugs without the need to use a breaker bar first, as is often the case with lower torque wrenches. Not cheap, but a well built tool.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Dave:
Those look really handy to me. What voltage is yours? Can I assume they have enough juice to remove and install a set of wheels on one battery charge?

BTW, have you used your deionization system yet? I got mine this week, but haven't tried it yet.
Hey Ken,
I believe it is an 18V system which I bought at Home Depot.
It easily removes the lug bolts. Sometimes I turn the gun slowly clockwise to assist in breaking the initial torque. The battery pack probably will take the wheels on and off AT LEAST a half dozen times. I've never run out of juice but I suggest that if you're going away for a multi day event to take an extra battery and the charger. When you put the bolts back on, stop immediately as soon as the bolts tighten and then use a manual tq wrench to finish the job.

I haven't used my deionizer yet....too friggin cold here! But soon!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been offroading for over 30 years, and we are constantly airing up and airing down. there is alot of junk out there. Just get a VIAIR 12 v compressor. It will give you years of trouble free performance. The big ones draw more amperage than your cig lighter can handle, so just get a smaller one with a small accumulator tank and air pressure switch if you want a really slick system.

http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/portables.html

Last edited by Fin Fever; 10-27-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Impact wrenches, portable compressors