Sponsored by:

$90 ipod integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by apw964
Yeah - this device has 2 frequencies. 93.7 and 93.3 (last one not sure on). The input is the standard red and white RCA style plug input so you can input anything.

As for pics - unfortunately I don't have any. I may have the console out again soon for other stuff I am doing there - I'll take some pics then if I remember.

Andy
Andy: I find the level (gain) of the TranzIt to be a little low compared to other FM radio frequencies. ((BTW, the 2 choices on my TranzIt are 87.9 and 88.3). It is only a problem for me when I turn off my ignition and the TranzIt gets turned off, but the radio stays on until the key is removed. By losing the TranzIt signal, and with the radio volume quite high because of the low level input from the TranzIt, I suddenly get a very loud blast of hashy noise on the radio, which is startling and unpleasant. I have to remember to turn down the volume before turning off the ignition if I want to avoid this problem.

I also think the frequency response from the TranZit is not as good as normal FM stations for some reason. It sounds a little muffled at both high and low frequencies.

Is your experience the same?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this site had rep points, you'd get 'em. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
If this site had rep points, you'd get 'em. Thanks for posting!
Thanks. You're free to add rep points on the other site.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
I've used those RCA splits for ins and outs for years with all sorts of stereo gear and, in college, even as a rinky-dink mixer matrix into TASCAM 1/4 reel tape machines. It can certainly degrade the audio quality and create grounding problems, but it won't break anything - not in my experience.
As a follow-up to this, I used the Y-splitters to connect my XM and my iPod to the single input terminals. I also tried connecting only one device without the Y-splitters. There was no difference in sound either way. I still only power one input device at a time to try to avoid any issues, but so far this method seems to work OK.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM
j3w
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I ran the power wire and ground for the Tranzit across the top above the pedals, stowed under the top edge of the carpeting, to my power outlet wiring where I was able to "T" into those power and ground wires. After all connections were made, I was able to stow the excess wires and the Tranzit device at the back of the console. There is a switch for the Tranzit, but I left it stowed back there too, as I see no need to switch it on or off. Eventually if I can find a suitable switch that can be mounted more easily under the dash, I may move it to an accessible location.
Where did you tap power from?

(if anyone is still around...)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by j3w
Where did you tap power from?

(if anyone is still around...)
I added a fused circuit to one of the switched spare fuse positions. You just need to buy a special fuse for adding a circuit, from PEP Boys or equivalent, and plug it into one of the spare circuits that is activated with ignition switch. I use that circuit for powering my added items such as XM radio, radar detector, etc.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Hello all. I am reviving this thread because I tried this install and experienced severe FM signal loss through the adapter cables before I ever got the modulator installed (just connected the two cables together to test). I had purchased the adapter cables at Best Buy and when I took them back the car stereo guy said I needed the amplified version of the adapter cable. I am wondering if anyone can share their experience with FM reception when not using their iPod with modulator? I want to be able to listen to either FM or iPod. Thanks!

Brad
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 AM
cbardeen
1st Gear

Just wanted to add that after reading several posts here I installed an isimple Tranzit BLU Bluetooth interface in my 2004 Cayenne with PCM 2 and everything seems to be working fine. I tapped into the power and ground on the radio, but added a relay so that the power is switched by the antenna power line from the radio. Sound quality has been good so far. The sound quality is better if I turn the iPhone down to about half volume and use the radio to get it back to listening volume. I used the isimple app so I can set the frequency to anything. Used the European settings and set it to 87.9, which should be unused in the US. The radio tunes to that just fine. Didn't want extra wires or to have to navigate the playlists via a kludged PCM Interface and this seems like one of the few solutions that adds Bluetooth to the PCM2 without the phone button. Bluetooth is just for audio not calls, but that is all I want it for anyway. Only thing missing is that the song titles are not being displayed by the radio. So not a perfect solution, but I am happy with it.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbardeen
Just wanted to add that after reading several posts here I installed an isimple Tranzit BLU Bluetooth interface in my 2004 Cayenne with PCM 2 and everything seems to be working fine. I tapped into the power and ground on the radio, but added a relay so that the power is switched by the antenna power line from the radio. Sound quality has been good so far. The sound quality is better if I turn the iPhone down to about half volume and use the radio to get it back to listening volume. I used the isimple app so I can set the frequency to anything. Used the European settings and set it to 87.9, which should be unused in the US. The radio tunes to that just fine. Didn't want extra wires or to have to navigate the playlists via a kludged PCM Interface and this seems like one of the few solutions that adds Bluetooth to the PCM2 without the phone button. Bluetooth is just for audio not calls, but that is all I want it for anyway. Only thing missing is that the song titles are not being displayed by the radio. So not a perfect solution, but I am happy with it.
I just ordered this and will be giving it a shot this weekend (hopefully). The only thing I've been wanting is audio from Pandora, MOG, or Sirius to stream and the other kits were far more than I really needed. So hopefully this fits the bill.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
I just ordered this and will be giving it a shot this weekend (hopefully). The only thing I've been wanting is audio from Pandora, MOG, or Sirius to stream and the other kits were far more than I really needed. So hopefully this fits the bill.
Ok, completed the install today and so far I'm very happy. I looked up all the info and had the PCM removed by the time the UPS guy showed up today. Ran and picked up the antenna adaptors from a local stereo shop and had it installed and put back together in roughly 30 mins.

I installed the newer version with the "auto sensing" feature to turn on/off so I didn't have to worry about installing a switch to turn it on/off. My iPhone found it and immediately paired to the BT. I am able to plan Pandora, iHeartRadio, Sirius, etc and when I play voicemails on my phone they also play through the BT connection.

For the cost on Amazon ($80) I don't think you can beat this. I chose to do it over the Dension unit and I think it does all I need from it.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

what model of the unit has the auto on/off? Was the PCM removal difficult, or did you get at the wiring from behind the unit? Where did you tap power and ground from? Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
what model of the unit has the auto on/off? Was the PCM removal difficult, or did you get at the wiring from behind the unit? Where did you tap power and ground from? Thanks
Sorry, I think this was due to my misunderstanding when I installed it.

According to the instructions it has an "auto on/off" for the bluetooth. But that is misleading. When the device is powered on it is not transmitting anything over the FM signal. Once a device pairs with it over BT, then it "automatically" turns on the FM transmission.

I had wired it to the 12v plug that is in the passenger footwell, but found it was powered off the next morning and wouldn't come back on. So I installed the "pig tail" switch they provide with it so I can manually cut the power to it. Ultimately I will have to go back and move it to a switched power source (once I figure out which one) so I don't have to turn it on/off when I want to use it.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

KP, just curious if your using the tooki bluetooth add on with your pcm or some other unit? Blue tooth pairing can be a real pain with various hardware.

Also i was curious how the sound quality is with bluetooth unit?

Thanks

Quick Reply: $90 ipod integration