$90 ipod integration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 PM
apw964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $90 ipod integration

All,

Thought I'd share my experience with an isimple product called tranzit - see link

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/TranzIt.asp

I was planning to get the denison 500 but during a trip to Best Buy I came across the iSimple Tranzit. It seemed like a nice idea. Whilst initially skeptical based on my experience with other FM transmit solutions the idea of having the isimple in series with the antenna and also powered seemed worth a shot.

I purchased it. Picked up some Antenna adapters from amazon (see link) to hook into the PCM style antenna connectors. Took about 45 mins to wire in.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-2002-Up-...794277&sr=1-34

The results are fantastic. I tuned the radio to 93.7 and drove from NYC to Lake Placid, then across to Vermont - I've not had interference once and have not lost a signal - that's during about 400 miles of driving.

Well worth it if you are interested in a quick solution to ipod integration.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just broke down and put one of these in my car about a week ago. My Gateway 500 resisted all attempts to install with the CDR24 in my RS, and I got fed up with unsuccessfully screwing with it every weekend. The FM modulator is ok compared to the Dension device. I've only got two speakers in the RS so I don't mind the worse sound quality. Mostly it's just a pain in the *** to have to pause and play the iPod "by hand" whenever I get in and out of the car.

I'm just glad to be able to listen to the iPod now, but still a little disappointed that the Dension didn't survive being transplanted from my C2S.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had the older Bosch unit for many years, simple antenna modulator with electrical connection, works great in my 87 Westy Camper, now.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

apw-have any pics of the install mate?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by apw964
All,

Thought I'd share my experience with an isimple product called tranzit - see link

I was planning to get the denison 500 but during a trip to Best Buy I came across the iSimple Tranzit. It seemed like a nice idea. Whilst initially skeptical based on my experience with other FM transmit solutions the idea of having the isimple in series with the antenna and also powered seemed worth a shot.

I purchased it. Picked up some Antenna adapters from amazon (see link) to hook into the PCM style antenna connectors. Took about 45 mins to wire in.

The results are fantastic. I tuned the radio to 93.7 and drove from NYC to Lake Placid, then across to Vermont - I've not had interference once and have not lost a signal - that's during about 400 miles of driving.

How many FM frequencies are there to choose from? Does it have an audio input besides the iPod adapter? I need the audio input more than the iPod, since I would use it for my portable XM radio.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Most seem to have 2 frequencies to choose from.
This one from Crutchfield seems to not need aux electrical connection?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMDA...r.html?tp=1701
Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 PM
apw964
Instructor

Yeah - this device has 2 frequencies. 93.7 and 93.3 (last one not sure on). The input is the standard red and white RCA style plug input so you can input anything.

As for pics - unfortunately I don't have any. I may have the console out again soon for other stuff I am doing there - I'll take some pics then if I remember.

Andy
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM
GHills
Instructor

"Whilst" ?!?! That's the Old Testament version of irregardless for itrritation factor. Almost as bad as "between he and I".
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
rvklein
Racer

'irritation'
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Nugget...email me. There are some tricks to the CDR24 install, but it works just fine (Dension).

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by apw964
All,

I'm curious about how this setup compares in audio quality to the Dension and to other fM modulator solutions. I'm looking to play my portable XM radio with decent quality, hopefully better than the built-in FM transmitter which is marginal due to the few available frequencies in the LA area. Does this device, by connecting directly to the antenna, overcome some of the limitations of other FM solutions? Is it any better, a lot better, no better? The Dension is somewhat over-kill for me, as I seldom use the iPod feature, so being able to display info in the PCM is not that important to me. If this FM device produces decent sound quality for my XM radio (and periodically my iPod), it would be good for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
apw964
Instructor

Hey - my experience is it was a lot better - see my comments on driving around the tri state area and up to up state NY and VT. I never once had static or lost the frequency I was on. As for audio quality it sounds like a good FM radio signal - certainly not as good as a CD or direct connection but completely acceptable as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll see how it goes. I picked up both pieces for $71 all in (Amazon had the Tranzit for $55 and Sonic Electronix had the adapter for $21 shipped).
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

APW964 - thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experience. I had mine installed today based on this thread and it is very nice. It isn't perfect since there is minor audible static between songs when the radio is up loud but when the music is playing it sounds very nice, surpassing my expectations.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for and at $140 installed, I am very happy.

Last edited by MusicCity_997; 02-28-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by MusicCity_997
APW964 - thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experience. I had mine installed today based on this thread and it is very nice. It isn't perfect since there is minor audible static between songs when the radio is up loud but when the music is playing it sounds very nice, surpassing my expectations.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. For $140 installed, I am very happy.
Glad to hear this. I ordered my parts on Amazon on Friday, and will install it myself for a total investment of under $90.

Quick Reply: $90 ipod integration