Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X51 Header install this week, with dyno (05 C2S)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Karl B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested as I would like to do the X51 headers and air box swap in the spring.
A quick question, why doesn't any one here have the exhaust components coated to reduce heat loss? I have always had my race car headers, and at least the front exhaust section Jet Hot coated before installation. Not only does it reduce under hood temps, (I can see it doing wonders in a tightly packed 977 rear end) but it prevents any type of corrosion.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl B
I am also interested as I would like to do the X51 headers and air box swap in the spring.
A quick question, why doesn't any one here have the exhaust components coated to reduce heat loss? I have always had my race car headers, and at least the front exhaust section Jet Hot coated before installation. Not only does it reduce under hood temps, (I can see it doing wonders in a tightly packed 977 rear end) but it prevents any type of corrosion.
I don't think it makes any difference on the 911. The exhaust is completely under the car with a ton of airflow cooling down the exhaust and not to mention the exhaust is so short. You will see different opinions on this but you won't notice any difference. Also the headers are stainless and I wouldn't worry about corrosion.

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Default Headers installed!!

Ok so I got the headers installed. Install was cake. I just jacked up one side as far as my jack would go and slid a jack stand under the cross member right where the rear LCR pivots and lowered the jack just enough so the stand touches. I also slid the tire under the side of the car right by the jack for extra safety. Leaving 99% of the weight on the jack.

There is a definite difference in the sound. More of a growl now when you punch it. No difference at idol. Butt dyno says no improvement in power and maybe a loss in tq. Might be because of the ECU learned maps or I already had an expectation that I am going to lose TQ. My evenings are booked for the next 4 days so no dyno. Ill try to pick a day forecasted to be close climate wise to the baseline dyno day. 58 degrees and very low humidity. Worse case it will be warmer and improvements less.

Now I am going to go **** off the neighbors.. Here are some pics of the stock and X51 side by side..... Enjoy

Steven

Yes thats a keg (Shiner) floating in the trash can.. I lied about it being an easy job... jk
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
swajames
Racer

Funny, every time I see those stock headers I can't help but feel that they simply can't be optimal. The X51 headers look so much better in terms of airflow. Marketers dictating to the engineers perhaps?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swajames
Funny, every time I see those stock headers I can't help but feel that they simply can't be optimal. The X51 headers look so much better in terms of airflow. Marketers dictating to the engineers perhaps?
Agree, That middle runner looks like it will only support 2/3 to 3/4 of the flow as the X51...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hausherrs
Ok so I got the headers installed. Install was cake. I just jacked up one side as far as my jack would go and slid a jack stand under the cross member right where the rear LCR pivots and lowered the jack just enough so the stand touches. I also slid the tire under the side of the car right by the jack for extra safety. Leaving 99% of the weight on the jack.

There is a definite difference in the sound. More of a growl now when you punch it. No difference at idol. Butt dyno says no improvement in power and maybe a loss in tq. Might be because of the ECU learned maps or I already had an expectation that I am going to lose TQ. My evenings are booked for the next 4 days so no dyno. Ill try to pick a day forecasted to be close climate wise to the baseline dyno day. 58 degrees and very low humidity. Worse case it will be warmer and improvements less.

Now I am going to go **** off the neighbors.. Here are some pics of the stock and X51 side by side..... Enjoy

Steven

Yes thats a keg (Shiner) floating in the trash can.. I lied about it being an easy job... jk
I doubt you lost any torque, give the car a few days for adaption.

Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I strongly believe this is the case. Engineers design the car to be at X51 power, then marketing works with them to de-tune, and create a Power Pack as an option!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I strongly believe this is the case. Engineers design the car to be at X51 power, then marketing works with them to de-tune, and create a Power Pack as an option!
If true, that just ain't right.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
If true, that just ain't right.
Why do you think Cayman's don't get the same engine as 911?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The X51 headers weigh more than the stock ones.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The X51 headers weigh more than the stock ones.
Yes they were noticably heavier..
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hausherrs
Yes they were noticably heavier..
Mostly due to the size? or do you think it's different material used (doesn't look like it), and probably a different gauge of steel.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

I think its just more material. 3 longer runners vs. 1 long pipe and 3 short runners.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

I would like to update the headers on my 997.2 as easy as putting on a set of X51 headers. I can not believe the exhaust flow could not be improved by Porsche engineers. I know they want the cats closer to the engine for environmental reasons but the lack of efficient flow really suffers.
I really like the new headers being developed by Rennsport-1.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ound-clip.html
Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SKYKING
I would like to update the headers on my 997.2 as easy as putting on a set of X51 headers. I can not believe the exhaust flow could not be improved by Porsche engineers. I know they want the cats closer to the engine for environmental reasons but the lack of efficient flow really suffers.
I really like the new headers being developed by Rennsport-1.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ound-clip.html
There's also a Power Kit for 997.2. Do you know if that one has an updated header?

Quick Reply: X51 Header install this week, with dyno (05 C2S)