Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Carrera Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Cargraphics and couldn't be happier. Amazing sound at WOT, but quiet enough at low RPMs not to be hassled by the cops. I believe they offer a deeper sound than the competition. For me it was between Tubi and Cargaphics, and I chose the latter. Although I did love the exotic sound of the Tubi exhaust, it just doesn't sound like a Porsche.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Billy Boat is not top quality. I had Fabspeed mufflers on my 2006 and 07 and they held up extremely well under a lot of track days and many street miles. I like the more euro sounding mufflers that Tubi and Cargraphic have. Rennsport-1 in Pompano Beach FL is a dealer and will work a great deal for you on either Tubi, Cargraphic or Fabspeed...they are a dealer for all of them.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
On my '06 C2 I got about of 30hp gain from entire package - K&N filter, x-pipe cats, maxflo mufflers, ipd plenum, softronic flash. What was more important than just HP gain - torque curves became much more flat, car felt like pulling much more equally from 4.5K rpm until red zone, some timing fluctuations I used to have disappeared, so overall it felt really great. Those upgrades do worth it. But it has to be done as a whole, not just one single part add-on.
did you do before and after dyno? People claim the same about suncoast headers, evo intake and giac flash w/pse - i did before and after dynos and then dyno again 2 weeks later - i got zero gains and expect you did the same...
I am not a believer that these mods add gains to NA cars
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peterporsche
Looking for advice in upgrading stock exhaust. 2 systems considered; FabSpeed and Billy Boat. Recommendations?
What do you consider an "upgrade"?

I just used the Porsche winter special coupon to buy the PSE and X51 headers for my 08 C2s. After a lot of research and listening to different set ups in persons I believe that you're not really going to get much in the way of meaningful power out of exhaust changes on these cars. You may pick up a few hp here or there but compared to 355bhp... you're not getting anything of note. What you will change is the tone of the exhaust note and the amount of noise your car makes.

There are some really loud set ups... there's some really mellow set ups. I did not care for the way the Fabspeed sounded. I think the full AWE setup (headers, cats and exhaust) sounds great but it's pretty $$ and won't meet CA CARB requirements. The Cargraphic exhaust is a very nice piece. The "export" version is too loud for my tastes whereas the "street" version is too quiet. The Borla unit sounds pretty good and while I had a Borla on my prior sports car... it just didn't sound like a street Porsche to my ears.

I went with the OEM set up because I think it sounds fantastic, I can change the level of noise with the push of a button, and it's OEM quality stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
did you do before and after dyno? People claim the same about suncoast headers, evo intake and giac flash w/pse - i did before and after dynos and then dyno again 2 weeks later - i got zero gains and expect you did the same...
I am also skeptical to 30HP gains just from an exhaust! If there was that much room for gains, Porsche would have discovered it!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
What do you consider an "upgrade"?

I just used the Porsche winter special coupon to buy the PSE and X51 headers for my 08 C2s. After a lot of research and listening to different set ups in persons I believe that you're not really going to get much in the way of meaningful power out of exhaust changes on these cars. You may pick up a few hp here or there but compared to 355bhp... you're not getting anything of note. What you will change is the tone of the exhaust note and the amount of noise your car makes.

There are some really loud set ups... there's some really mellow set ups. I did not care for the way the Fabspeed sounded. I think the full AWE setup (headers, cats and exhaust) sounds great but it's pretty $$ and won't meet CA CARB requirements. The Cargraphic exhaust is a very nice piece. The "export" version is too loud for my tastes whereas the "street" version is too quiet. The Borla unit sounds pretty good and while I had a Borla on my prior sports car... it just didn't sound like a street Porsche to my ears.

I went with the OEM set up because I think it sounds fantastic, I can change the level of noise with the push of a button, and it's OEM quality stuff.
Did you listen to Tubi as well? I think that's the only other exhaust that sounds as good /better than OEM. BTW, which winter coupon? How much, from where? if too low, PM me?

PS. To OP, I'd listen to him, he did all sorts of research into different exhausts!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

yes, I did - in same shop using same exact fans, same conditions. any results may have certain deviations, so, it is all very subjective. Most important factor for me is that after all mods torque curve became much more flat without those annoying dives down in mid 5K rpm area, plus torque raises much more aggressively at low rpms thanks to softronic sport mode. essentially when it starts to pull at 4.5K rpm - it keeps pulling until a redline, flat strong predictable pull.

So to some degree those charts do represent situation as it is. Be as skeptical as you wish. All I can say - I did not draw it in photoshop. Also keep in mind this is a mustang dyno, usually people post numbers from other dynos as they are higher. And people may say whatever heck they`re pleased.

major factors are how your car was strapped to dyno and what was outside air temperature. in my case temperature outside was almost same, may be 5-7 degrees difference. as of strapping - who knows. for what it`s worth - here is the picture.

-- apparently either I forgot how to post links so they would show up as pictures or it does not work here anymore.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...pictureid=8782
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

nice..im happy for you that the dyno showed gains because mine did not
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

nice..im happy for you that the dyno showed gains because mine did not
not sure why, but it was not just exhaust work - I bought car used as 40K miles on it and ran it to dyno shop then in went new K&N oiled filter (i suspect stock one was original one - it was quite dirty), new spark plugs, new oil, RSS plenum, I cleaned MAF sensor, then did put on fabspeed x-pipe, fabspeed maxflo mufflers then softronic ECU flash. then I did that second dyno run just to see what has happened.

so, for what it`s worth - it is what I have documented. if it was in fact dyno glitch to show numbers higher than they are - so, let it be so. I am not going to start holy war over it. like I say - it does not matter as much what max number you have on that curve/curves - it matters how shape of new curve differs from shape of original old curve. especially for torque.

i also had very bad timing curve dive in mid 5K area and thankfully it is completely gone. we could even hear it on a dyno how engine was changing its tone in this area. that was major reason for me to go over all that stuff.

if I would have to do it all over again and did not have timing issue - I would ONLY install fabspeed x-pipe 200 cell cats and put softronic on. all the rest costs heck of money and gains are little. but they are there.

if one has guts - for close to $10K you can get TPC turbo kit and put your 3.6L car to 430 horses on wheels territory which is a completely different ballpark. That is what I am going to do next - so expect all my exhaust parts to go on sale mid-summer.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

im scared to do that..dont want to give up my 4 yr warranty (brand new 2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

im scared to do that..dont want to give up my 4 yr warranty (brand new 2010)
Rob, looking at your avitar it looks like we both got our cars at the same dealer.

A few months back I had a weld crack on my exhaust header. I track my car at Sebring and other Florida tracks a lot and the dealer knows it. At that time I also had pulled the 2 side mufflers and bought the little Fabspeed side muffler delete pipes so that I was only using the center muffler.

The Porsche Zone rep was at the dealer and almost did not warrant the repair. I received a phone call from the dealer service manager and we went over the exhaust mod and they wanted to know if I had flashed the ECU. The Porsche rep was there too.

Everything on the car was stock except I removed the side mufflers so original mounting was still being used on the center muffler and the side mufflers or lack off have no bearing weight or support on the headers so the the Porsche Zone rep approved the the repair this 1 time only. I had to fight with this and it was not as simple as I write hear.

Since I had a top official there from Porsche I started to ask questions about what will and will not void warranty on my 2009 Carrera S. Basically I learned that changing the muffler will not void the warranty. However changing anything on the Cats, headers, air intake, throttle body and of course engine internals will void the engine warranty. It was explained to me that changing the parameters in the ECU will cause parts of the engine to run hotter and or cooler than other and could ultimately damage the engine and Porsche will not be held responsable for a car they engineered that has been changed by someone that does not have all the design information about the car. Porsche has the ECU designed to handle many many issues you can run into driving on the street. I was also told that flashing and or replacing the ECU will void the entire cars warranty because the ECU controls many things on the car besides the timing and air fuel ratio.

Talk to your dealer but remember your warranty is with Porsche NOT the dealer. You can install after market mufflers and still have warranty but that is about it. Porsche is much more strict with warranty and mod's than they were just a few years ago.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Friend has a full Miltek exhaust for sale locally. Came off his low mileage '07 Carrera S Cab. Not sure if compatible with regular Carrera. PM for contact info.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

im not modding this time..my dyno sheets showed no gains so why waste the cash..so tracking voids the warranty? they kept telling me to take my new car to the track...there is no way im taking it to the track if it voids the warranty - not worth it at all!!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

for exhaust i had PSE installed yesterday..i dont believe flash, headers and intake add anything - my dyno showed no gains..but even if it add 10-15 hp - you wont tell the difference...smarter to lose weight to make it quicker - lighter wheels etc..concentrate on unsprung weight
Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Did you listen to Tubi as well? I think that's the only other exhaust that sounds as good /better than OEM. BTW, which winter coupon? How much, from where? if too low, PM me?
I did listen to the Tubi. I know a lot of people like the way it sounds and while I love the sound of a Tubi exhaust on a Lambo or F car... I didn't really like the way it sounded on the 997S. Just my personal preference. The Tubi is; however, quite a bit lighter than the PSE and a work of art. But it aint cheap either.

Porsche mailed out winter savings coupons earlier this year (perhaps to PCA members?). It was 20% off. I used that coupon to purchase the X51 headers and PSE exhaust through Suncoast Porsche in Florida. With the coupon my PSE exhaust was $1,890.

Unfortunately, I think that winter program ended on 3/31. My suggestion is to call around. Suncoast in Florida, Sunset in OR and Boardwalk in Texas are usually very aggressively priced (at least compared to what my local dealers charge). And as a benefit to me (I live in S. CA with an 8.75% tax rate) there's no sales tax in Florida or Oregan so while I had to pay $80 to have my exhaust and headers shipped and wait a week... it's a lot cheaper than the tax I would have paid (even if I could find the same prices in CA... which I couldn't).

Quick Reply: '08 Carrera Exhaust