Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Smell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

This thread is an example of the adolescent behavior of some in this forum as of late. Sorry crowd.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mander
I may be the only board member who has actually met "At Law" (DMV last Fall by coincidence when we were both registering our cars). He may be a lawyer but he isn't a snotty kid

I add, back on topic, that my 09C4S definitely still has the smell at 2.5K miles and I actually quite like it.
Mander,

Thank you for the post. It was nice meeting you by coincidence in person.

My wallet is still aching after licensing my 997 that day and my RR
the next day.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:11 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
This thread is an example of the adolescent behavior of some in this forum as of late. Sorry crowd.
I tend to disagree with you. This is simply a spirited discussion
about the fabulous smell of 911's.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by At Law
My issue is not the smell, which is typical of the car's architecture as Mike pointed out. My issue is with the personal attacks and nonsense.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asu_lee
I love this post! Cooked Mice? WTF?
Yes, unfortunately the little buggers made a little love-condo inside the dash. I had a switch pack fail, which is sort of a centralized relay module located in the dash. I found they entered and were living in the heat/vent system and a little stinky. I have installed massive countermeasures for later this month when the 911 comes home to nap for another month for the weather to clear.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mander,

Thank you for the post. It was nice meeting you by coincidence in person.

My wallet is still aching after licensing my 997 that day and my RR
the next day.
You think your bill was large... the Nebraska DMV practice of paying sales tax on the purchase when registering the car led to my largest registration check ever - by a wide margin. The (female) clerk even asked whether my wife had nice taste in jewelry...
Old 02-14-2010, 04:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The Griot's Leather Scent is actually really good stuff. Nothing fake or over-the-top tacky about it. Seriously, get some and spray on floor mats.

Like these posts it's all relative and depends on your POV. The shoe smell pic shows the opposite of the mice smell for cats.
Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

I never thought that this post would bring so many spirited responses. Just to let you know, different folks react differently to different experiences. Some may like the burning smell, and that is perfectly fine. I just happen to hate it.
I smell it no matter what kind of driving I am doing. When stopped at a light with the windows open or top down, I smell it. When parking, I smell it. I am not used to it and it is, to me, nasty. I have discussed this with the dealer many times and was told that it is normal and there is nothiong that I can do about it. I opened up a case with Porsche North America and was told that there is nothing Porsche is willing to do for me. Now I have filed for arbritration
for I feel that had I been informed about both this problem and the excess oil usage problem that I have been having (about 1 quart every 500-600 miles) by the dealership prior to buying the car, I would have not bought it. These 2 problems that I am experiencing are far from normal for any new car that is simply used as a daily driver. And, as mentioned before, I have owned, well, you name it when it comes to new cars, and I do not mean Lexus, for I am mainly into high performing sports cars. I appreciate the input from everyone, even if some of it is condesconding and childish in nature. I can handle that, but I cannot handle what I consider to be shabby technology. If these 2 problems cannot be rectified, I will be in the market for my 10th new Corvette.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This maybe a dumb question, but what is cosmoline? What does it do? What is the purpose of this stuff? does it protect the engine somehow?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Hey Ronnie,

The smell thing is as old as time. I don't think you'll get very far with that. Maybe an engine cleaning of cosmoline? Perhaps they missed and hit your exhaust system? The oil thing? THAT would p*ss me off big time. However it is well within Porsche's guidelines of "up to 1.6 quarts per 622 miles." Good luck with that.

Other than those valuable and serious comments, what you're gonna get is offhand (hopefully lighthearted, IMHO) comments related to "smell" and "Porsche."

Last edited by LlBr; 02-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Airrik
This maybe a dumb question, but what is cosmoline? What does it do? What is the purpose of this stuff? does it protect the engine somehow?
Waxy stuff sprayed on underside of engine. I heard it's applied to protect engine components during exposure to the marine environment of ocean crossing.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting.../cosmoline.pdf
Old 02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Originally Posted by LlBr
Waxy stuff sprayed on underside of engine. I heard it's applied to protect engine components during exposure to the marine environment of ocean crossing.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting.../cosmoline.pdf

Cosmoline is actually a grease, often used to protect new gun parts. I was told by Porsche that it is used to protect the engine from salt while on the boat between Europe and the states. If true, Porsche must be the only foreign manufacturer that uses cosmoline, for I have never had a smell from my Ferraris, VW's, Toyotas, Nissans, Jaguars, etc. As far as steam cleaning the engine, this is an absolute no no! Any good mechanic will tell you to never steam clean an engine. Why...simply because moisture will get into the electrical connections. (steam more rapidly than water).
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
I never thought that this post would bring so many spirited responses. Just to let you know, different folks react differently to different experiences. Some may like the burning smell, and that is perfectly fine. I just happen to hate it.
I smell it no matter what kind of driving I am doing. When stopped at a light with the windows open or top down, I smell it. When parking, I smell it. I am not used to it and it is, to me, nasty. I have discussed this with the dealer many times and was told that it is normal and there is nothiong that I can do about it. I opened up a case with Porsche North America and was told that there is nothing Porsche is willing to do for me. Now I have filed for arbritration
for I feel that had I been informed about both this problem and the excess oil usage problem that I have been having (about 1 quart every 500-600 miles) by the dealership prior to buying the car, I would have not bought it. These 2 problems that I am experiencing are far from normal for any new car that is simply used as a daily driver. And, as mentioned before, I have owned, well, you name it when it comes to new cars, and I do not mean Lexus, for I am mainly into high performing sports cars. I appreciate the input from everyone, even if some of it is condesconding and childish in nature. I can handle that, but I cannot handle what I consider to be shabby technology. If these 2 problems cannot be rectified, I will be in the market for my 10th new Corvette.
I think that you should sell this car and get a Vette. You will then smell the interior plastics even if yo get the leather-wrap trim, but perhaps you'll like it better.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

[Q*OTE=ADias;7312737]I think that yo* sho*ld sell this *ar and get a Vette. Yo* will then smell the interior plasti*s even if yo get the leather-wrap trim, b*t perhaps yo*'ll like it better. :i*on107:[/Q*OTE]

Now, that is a good post ADias. :*heers:

Yo* know, I started a post abo*t *orvette owners last fall....
Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mander
You think your bill was large... the Nebraska DMV practice of paying sales tax on the purchase when registering the car led to my largest registration check ever - by a wide margin. The (female) clerk even asked whether my wife had nice taste in jewelry...
I actually overheard the DMV clerk asking you about jewelry. I
thought I overheard her proposing to you as well.

I do love Nebraska taxes.

Quick Reply: That Smell!!!