Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Smell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn-it - I feel like my car is broken. Maybe the base car doesn't include the smell option and I need to get an "S" next time.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,376 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
First, we're not talking about large amounts of anything being thrown up against the exhaust, certainly not enough to start a fire. Second, "extend the wheel well"!? What exactly does that mean? To where? And added heat shielding would interupt cooling airflow past the exhaust to resolve a "problem" that is a total non-issue in terms of anything meaningful. Finally, chat with the dealer about what? About how I hate that my high performance sports car with the racing heritage sometimes evokes some of the great smells that I love to experience while walking through the paddock at the races? I don't think so.

BTW, this isn't something new with the watercooled cars. My '84 Carrera also had the Porsche aroma. You never noticed it with your 993? If you did, then you know it's just part of the Porsche experience, not a flaw. If you don't like it, you have the option to own something else. Personally, I like it, feel it's a connection to the past, and would feel like something was lost if Porsche somehow engineered it away.
Firstly, no, on average the grease/rubber flung onto the muffler is not a lot. However, what happens when say you're on the track and the car in front of you loses a power steering pump seal and blows ps fluid all over the track and directly from your tires onto your muffler. ps fluid is highly flammable in my experience.

Secondly, it appears this issue is the result of the wheel well not extending far enough down to cover the muffler. Extending the wheel well and adding vents would solve both the cooling problems and the smell issues.

My 993 doesn't smell at all. To me, a $90k luxury GT car should not smell like oil, rubber, or anything but leather. The air cooled cars got away with it because it was most likely oil leaking
Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Firstly, no, on average the grease/rubber flung onto the muffler is not a lot. However, what happens when say you're on the track and the car in front of you loses a power steering pump seal and blows ps fluid all over the track and directly from your tires onto your muffler. ps fluid is highly flammable in my experience.

Secondly, it appears this issue is the result of the wheel well not extending far enough down to cover the muffler. Extending the wheel well and adding vents would solve both the cooling problems and the smell issues.

My 993 doesn't smell at all. To me, a $90k luxury GT car should not smell like oil, rubber, or anything but leather. The air cooled cars got away with it because it was most likely oil leaking
Well if a car directly in front of me blows ps fluid all over the track my biggest problem isn't likely to be a highly improbable fire. But look, I think this whole thing is hugely overstated. Can I smell anything from the car after a hot run while I'm standing right next to it? Sure. Does it "stink up" my garage so that I need to keep it outside untill it cools down? Absolutely not. People's sensitivities vary wildly and minor issues become big deals. I knew a woman at work who couldn't stand the fact that a guy who sat 40 feet away from her wore a certain cologne, and she filed a complaint about it. The people who sat nearby didn't even notice it.

I get that you think a "luxury GT" shouldn't "smell of anything but leather". I like that my Porsche sometimes gives off smells that validate that it's a mechanical device and not a leather wrapped artifact. To each his own.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
... Can I smell anything from the car after a hot run while I'm standing right next to it? Sure. Does it "stink up" my garage so that I need to keep it outside untill it cools down? Absolutely not.
OK, thanks for that - I was really beginning to wonder if my car was just strange. It smells like a car. I have had "sporty" cars for such a long time maybe I am immune to it. I think my e39 M5 used to give off more odor than this car - they all seem to vary, but like you said - nothing I'd ever give a second thought about. I figure if my wife is not complaining about something, then there's nothing to worry about. When I go into my garage, it smells normally more like wood, drywall, and paint - even after 15 years.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Damn-it - I feel like my car is broken. Maybe the base car doesn't include the smell option and I need to get an "S" next time.
Nah! Just get some of this stuff! LOL.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Now if you reeeeeally want to spend some money:
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2010, 05:44 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll be fine with the smell. My Lotus smelled like cooked mice in the vents, and my 84 911 turbo smelled of 20+ years of burning cooked sludge.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Tom N
Instructor

If you buy a pair of black bespoke shell cordovan shoes and
you realize they don't match your navy blue Brooks Brothers suit,
don't blame the shoe manufacturer. Instead, buy a different
color shoe.[/QUOTE]

I have always preferred my shell cordovan shoes in the traditional burgundy color.

The odor is long gone on the GT3, but the C4S will "scent" when driven hard.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I peeked in my garage and its not really smelling like anything, so i am going to fix that by taking the cab for a quick spin in the 70 degree sunshine.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by dma550
I think I'll be fine with the smell. My Lotus smelled like cooked mice in the vents, and my 84 911 turbo smelled of 20+ years of burning cooked sludge.
I love this post! Cooked Mice? WTF?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom N
If you buy a pair of black bespoke shell cordovan shoes and
you realize they don't match your navy blue Brooks Brothers suit,
don't blame the shoe manufacturer. Instead, buy a different
color shoe.
I have always preferred my shell cordovan shoes in the traditional burgundy color.

The odor is long gone on the GT3, but the C4S will "scent" when driven hard.[/QUOTE]

Another shell cordovan lover and a Range Rover owner.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by asu_lee
I love this post! Cooked Mice? WTF?
Deeeelicious! You mouse try them!
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Deeeelicious! You mouse try them!
Plus, they are very high in protein.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by At Law
Plus, they are very high in protein.
LOL! Great point Gents!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This guy asks a serious question, but you're here for entertainment. Some snotty kid telling him to buy a lexus is groovy, but me telling him his posts are dumb is not ok.
I may be the only board member who has actually met "At Law" (DMV last Fall by coincidence when we were both registering our cars). He may be a lawyer but he isn't a snotty kid

I add, back on topic, that my 09C4S definitely still has the smell at 2.5K miles and I actually quite like it.

Quick Reply: That Smell!!!