Sponsored by:

That Smell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
but me telling him his posts are dumb is not ok. Give me a break.
Sir, you can respond any way you want. I was just saying how it effected me. It was kind of a downer for instant I ran across it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a seemingly smart guy, you make some awfully dumb posts.

A 997 is a luxury GT car, not a pure sports car. There is simply zero reason for it to have odd smells after say 5k miles.

If this were a stripped down race car, you would certainly have a point...but considering the nature of a 997, you don't.
You are completely off base by suggesting a 997 is a luxury car and not
a high performance car designed to be raced/run hard.

You simply cannot compare a 911 of any sort to a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW,
Cadillac, Bentley, or other "Luxury car" manufacturer. These two entirely dissimilar types of vehicles were engineered and designed to have completely different functions.

A 911 will not provide a "comfortable" ride -- a luxury car will.
A luxury car will not carve a road, accelerate very briskly, and brake on a dime -- a 911 will.
As a result, each type of vehicle will have its own set of characteristics--some good, some "bad."

The "smell" is part of the 997 make-up. Not by design, just a result of
the engineering put into a high performance vehicle.

In addition, your off the cuff comment of calling me a "snotty kid" does
nothing to improve your credibility and I suggest you do your research about
me and others on this board before you put into writing future unfounded statements.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
You are completely off base by suggesting a 997 is a luxury car and not
a high performance car designed to be raced/run hard.

You simply cannot compare a 911 of any sort to a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW,
Cadillac, Bentley, or other "Luxury car" manufacturer. These two entirely dissimilar types of vehicles were engineered and designed to have completely different functions.

A 911 will not provide a "comfortable" ride -- a luxury car will.
A luxury car will not carve a road, accelerate very briskly, and brake on a dime -- a 911 will.
As a result, each type of vehicle will have its own set of characteristics--some good, some "bad."

The "smell" is part of the 997 make-up. Not by design, just a result of
the engineering put into a high performance vehicle.

In addition, your off the cuff comment of calling me a "snotty kid" does
nothing to improve your credibility and I suggest you do your research about
me and others on this board before you put into writing future unfounded statements.
Firstly, I've seen enough of your posts (see: Corvette) to have formed a very solid opinion of you, and its not in the least bit positive.

Secondly, I stated that the 997 is a luxury GT car, in the same vein as an aston martin. Just like an Aston martin, it is well crafted and finished, and accelerates, brakes, and handles quite well. However, it is no longer the 911 it once was. Its significantly larger in all areas, its softer, quieter, more comfortable, more technology laden, and heavier.

In fact, with a tiptronic, I don't consider the 997 that far removed from an SL55 or similar.

So wait, the "smell is not by design", yet it is "the result of the engineering of a high performance vehicle". So the smell is not designed in, but its the result of engineering? Why don't all high performance cars smell then? Care to explain that?

Were we talking about a GT3-RS or even the standard GT3, I'd agree that the OP's statements would be a touch ridiculous. A standard 997? There should be no smell after the first few k miles, period.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Firstly, I've seen enough of your posts (see: Corvette) to have formed a very solid opinion of you, and its not in the least bit positive.

Secondly, I stated that the 997 is a luxury GT car, in the same vein as an aston martin. Just like an Aston martin, it is well crafted and finished, and accelerates, brakes, and handles quite well. However, it is no longer the 911 it once was. Its significantly larger in all areas, its softer, quieter, more comfortable, more technology laden, and heavier.

In fact, with a tiptronic, I don't consider the 997 that far removed from an SL55 or similar.

So wait, the "smell is not by design", yet it is "the result of the engineering of a high performance vehicle". So the smell is not designed in, but its the result of engineering? Why don't all high performance cars smell then? Care to explain that?

Were we talking about a GT3-RS or even the standard GT3, I'd agree that the OP's statements would be a touch ridiculous. A standard 997? There should be no smell after the first few k miles, period.
My Corvette post is one of my favorites.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You know it's funny I used to hate Corvettes until I read your posts At Law. Now I sort of like them.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by At Law
My Corvette post is one of my favorites.
doesn't surprise me.

Enjoy your luxobarge
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Para82
You know it's funny I used to hate Corvettes until I read your posts At Law. Now I sort of like them.
Now, let's not get crazy.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

doesn't surprise me.

Enjoy your luxobarge
Luxobarge?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Why don't all high performance cars smell then? Care to explain that?
I'm not choosing sides in the back and forth here but thought I'd respond to your specific question. I think a big part of why 911's "smell" (I consider it more like perfume ) compared to other high performance cars is that the engine is in the rear. Because of the design of the exhaust plumbing, the cats and particularly the mufflers sit in the wheel wells right the tires. High horsepower means high heat and the exhaust tract in a Porsche is particularly short so those parts get pretty damn hot. When brake dust, bits of rubber from the tires, road oil and tar, etc. etc. get thrown up on the exhaust they really "cook" and you get your smell. I don't see it as a negative, it's just part of the ambiance of owning a 911.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who cares. if you don't think the smell is not right bitch at the dealer. You bought one and you drive one if it doesn't work for you don't gripe at those of us that like it.Just sell it and leave.. Troll...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Velasco
who cares. if you don't think the smell is not right bitch at the dealer. You bought one and you drive one if it doesn't work for you don't gripe at those of us that like it.Just sell it and leave.. Troll...
Amen.

If you buy a pair of black bespoke shell cordovan shoes and
you realize they don't match your navy blue Brooks Brothers suit,
don't blame the shoe manufacturer. Instead, buy a different
color shoe.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not choosing sides in the back and forth here but thought I'd respond to your specific question. I think a big part of why 911's "smell" (I consider it more like perfume ) compared to other high performance cars is that the engine is in the rear. Because of the design of the exhaust plumbing, the cats and particularly the mufflers sit in the wheel wells right the tires. High horsepower means high heat and the exhaust tract in a Porsche is particularly short so those parts get pretty damn hot. When brake dust, bits of rubber from the tires, road oil and tar, etc. etc. get thrown up on the exhaust they really "cook" and you get your smell. I don't see it as a negative, it's just part of the ambiance of owning a 911.
I consider that a bit of a design flaw, as this grease whatever could become hot enough to cause a fire.

Why didn't Porsche simply extend the wheel well and add some heat shielding.

I'd definitely have a chat with the dealer.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider that a bit of a design flaw, as this grease whatever could become hot enough to cause a fire.

AFAIK, there have been no problems with fires with these cars.

I adapted by parking it just outside it's garage slot and opening lid to let it cool. Then I manually push it into the garage because I don't want to start it.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I second that Mike! complaining about this "pancake aroma" is as absurd as a fisherman complaining about the smell of diesel or bait, it is part of the package. smells have actually been shown to trigger the memory center most directly. Whenever i smell castrol 2 stroke, it brings back childhood memories of evenings at the flat-track races. I love it! Cosmoline smell triggers envigorating memories of spirited drives up the coast or through the canyons. they should bottle it and sell it as a "drivers eau de Cologne".
The following users liked this post:
dasael (10-24-2020)
Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd definitely have a chat with the dealer.
First, we're not talking about large amounts of anything being thrown up against the exhaust, certainly not enough to start a fire. Second, "extend the wheel well"!? What exactly does that mean? To where? And added heat shielding would interupt cooling airflow past the exhaust to resolve a "problem" that is a total non-issue in terms of anything meaningful. Finally, chat with the dealer about what? About how I hate that my high performance sports car with the racing heritage sometimes evokes some of the great smells that I love to experience while walking through the paddock at the races? I don't think so.

BTW, this isn't something new with the watercooled cars. My '84 Carrera also had the Porsche aroma. You never noticed it with your 993? If you did, then you know it's just part of the Porsche experience, not a flaw. If you don't like it, you have the option to own something else. Personally, I like it, feel it's a connection to the past, and would feel like something was lost if Porsche somehow engineered it away.

Quick Reply: That Smell!!!