Sponsored by:

Did I overfilled the oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
echere88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I overfilled the oil ??

This morning I took the measure of the oil for my 3200 miles 977.2 S. The oil measurement showed the level at low line. So I read the manual, and the manual states that each "tick" is about 0.5 qt. Then I figured that I have 3 tick to fill, so I pulled 1 qt of oil in it, and i will replenish the oil but not to exceed the maximum level. After I pulled 1 qt in the engine, I took the measurement again. To my surprise, the level showed right at maximum line. I was expecting a tick lower than the max.

How do I know if I overfilled the oil? If I overfilled, will the level showed going above the max line in the indicator? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You misread the manual. It does not say that each tick mark is a half a quart. You have overfilled the engine. The only time you should be putting an entire quart in is when the oil level is at the bottom, and blinking.

If you have any automotive skill whatsoever, simply take off your oil filter and suck some oil--at least 2/3s of a quart from that area. I don't think you should try opening the bottom as you will lose control of things quickly.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember correctly, the entire range of the display is 1.2 LITERS, and it expressly says not to overfill. to be on the safe side, drain some out until you are 1 bar under max.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You misread the manual. It does not say that each tick mark is a half a quart. You have overfilled the engine. The only time you should be putting an entire quart in is when the oil level is at the bottom, and blinking.

If you have any automotive skill whatsoever, simply take off your oil filter and suck some oil--at least 2/3s of a quart from that area. I don't think you should try opening the bottom as you will lose control of things quickly.
I disagree with your advice unless the 997 owners manual says essentially the same thing.

For the 996 if the oil level segment below the min mark flashes the oil level is *below* the min level and this imho is too low cause one can't know how far below the min. mark the oil level is.

The oil level should be checked frequently enough -- different engines, different types of driving affect engine consumption -- to catch the level before it drops below the min mark and the indicator flashes.

I do agree with others that the engine should not be overfilled with oil.

In fact this is in bold in my owners manual: Never add more engine oil than required to reach the max. mark.

The diff. between the min and max levels is 1.6 quarts or 1.5 liters. Each segment is therefor approx. 0.26 guarts or 0.25 liters.

At the very least, I would add oil while the engine oil level is still a mark or two *above* the min. mark and of course avoid adding too much oil.

At a local Porsche dealership the Porsche techs tell me most engines are overfilled with oil if they're not done at a Porsche dealership (and even some dealerships overfill with oil).

I have watched the techs refill/top up an engine with oil after an oil change and these techs "sneak" up on the oil level by adding less than the indicated amount to the engine then stopping. Better the oil level a bar or even two below the max. mark than at the max. mark or even above it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by echere88
This morning I took the measure of the oil for my 3200 miles 977.2 S. The oil measurement showed the level at low line. So I read the manual, and the manual states that each "tick" is about 0.5 qt. Then I figured that I have 3 tick to fill, so I pulled 1 qt of oil in it, and i will replenish the oil but not to exceed the maximum level. After I pulled 1 qt in the engine, I took the measurement again. To my surprise, the level showed right at maximum line. I was expecting a tick lower than the max.

How do I know if I overfilled the oil? If I overfilled, will the level showed going above the max line in the indicator? Any advice is appreciated.
My advice is to read more carefully, in general, for example:

Originally Posted by Your Owner's Manual

5. Add at most 0.5 quarts (0.5 liter) of engine oil
at a time.

6. Fold up oil filler cap.
7. Push in oil filler tube fully and turn cap clockwise
until you feel it reach its end position.
8. Measure oil level again with the on-board
computer. Switch off the engine.
9. If necessary, repeat the process and add more
engine oil as required.
That said, you are probably OK if your oil level is at the top line with the arrow indicator - see page 155 of your manual for more info.

Also, in the future, take a reading of the oil level maybe 15-30 secs after you turn off the engine - just restart and check again - then again. Sometimes it will be higher/lower - I always go with the most conservative measurement and don't try to fill right to the top line. And I only add ~.5qt at a time.

I don't know if the above (Macster) is correct for 996, but it does not apply to 997.2 - be on the safe side and read the Owner's Manual - it is all there.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate this electronic dip stick crap.

At least put in a back up system, like an old fashion dip stick.

Phil
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Phil
Ditto! that's part of the fun...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Phil
I second that.
abe
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Somehow, I don't think a dipstick, virtual or real, was the issue here. Just sayin'.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=stevepow;7302304]My advice is to read more carefully, in general, for example:

Also, in the future, take a reading of the oil level maybe 15-30 secs after you turn off the engine - just restart and check again - then again.

On my car, 997.1S, if I start the car, turn it off, then turn the ignition back on to check the oil level, the display reads that I have like 4 hours to wait, and starts counting down. If it has been sitting awhile I get the level reading immediately.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to get an immediate reading regardless of how long ago it was running?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that each line is about 200 ml. maybe you can draw some back out through the filler hole using a large syringe and a small diameter piece of tubing. Use good sterile technique to not contaminate the oil.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=PHX 911;7302406]
Originally Posted by stevepow

Also, in the future, take a reading of the oil level maybe 15-30 secs after you turn off the engine - just restart and check again - then again.

On my car, 997.1S, if I start the car, turn it off, then turn the ignition back on to check the oil level, the display reads that I have like 4 hours to wait, and starts counting down. If it has been sitting awhile I get the level reading immediately.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to get an immediate reading regardless of how long ago it was running?
Different procedure for .2 than .1. You can check on .1 after you gas up too (see pg 119 in the Owner's Manual)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Good point. Read the owners manual.

I forget my 03 Turbo has a different technique for measuring the oil level. To measure the Turbo's engine oil level the engine has to be hot (up to operating temp), idling, the car stopped and level. Under ideal conditions takes 5 seconds for a level to show up. I check the level at stop lights sometimes and when I pull in to fill up gas and when I pull in after driving any distance. Check the oil level often is my moto.

Other models I guess work more like my 02 Boxster in that one can only check the oil level with the engine off and after waiting a while, how long a wait required depends upon how hot engine got and how long engine has been shut off.

Still I check the Boxster's oil level every chance I get unless the countdown requires more than 5 seconds.

Unless the owners manual doesn't object, though, I'd never let the oil level get low enough to cause the bar below the min. level mark flash.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
I disagree with your advice unless the 997 owners manual says essentially the same thing.

For the 996 if the oil level segment below the min mark flashes the oil level is *below* the min level and this imho is too low cause one can't know how far below the min. mark the oil level is.

The oil level should be checked frequently enough -- different engines, different types of driving affect engine consumption -- to catch the level before it drops below the min mark and the indicator flashes.

I do agree with others that the engine should not be overfilled with oil.

In fact this is in bold in my owners manual: Never add more engine oil than required to reach the max. mark.

The diff. between the min and max levels is 1.6 quarts or 1.5 liters. Each segment is therefor approx. 0.26 guarts or 0.25 liters.

At the very least, I would add oil while the engine oil level is still a mark or two *above* the min. mark and of course avoid adding too much oil.

At a local Porsche dealership the Porsche techs tell me most engines are overfilled with oil if they're not done at a Porsche dealership (and even some dealerships overfill with oil).

I have watched the techs refill/top up an engine with oil after an oil change and these techs "sneak" up on the oil level by adding less than the indicated amount to the engine then stopping. Better the oil level a bar or even two below the max. mark than at the max. mark or even above it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
We're talking about a 997. I don't know about your 996. There are 3 full blocks between the max and min lines on the 997. If what you say is true, that the difference between the min and max lines is 1.5 litres, than I don't know how you can divide 1.5 by 3 and get 0.25 litres.

If you allow the oil level to go down to the bottom half block and then it begins to flash, it will require about 1 quart to fill it. Exactly. If you let the oil level go lower, it will ultimately give you a display that states "check engine oil!"

Unfortunately, most owners herein are impatient and feel like they're not keeping their oil level at some optimal level. You should keep it i the working range. Not too low, and not too high. If you are filling the top half block you have no way of knowing if you have exceeded that block or not.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=PHX 911;7302406]
Originally Posted by stevepow

On your 997.1 car do not turn over the engine until you see your oil level. Turn the key to just shy of the starting position, wait the 6 seconds, and then read the reading. Once you crank the engine you have moved oil around and the 30 minute timer kicks in. If you pull in for a fill up of gasoline, for example, you fill the tank, and then turn the key so as to read the oil level. THEN crank the engine. Guys, this is in the manual.

For the 997.2 cars you measure your oil level like in the old days of 911s. You do it while it is level and warmed up--and running.

Quick Reply: Did I overfilled the oil ??